main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Plo Koon's lightsaber style

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by JacenKatarnC3PX, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacenKatarnC3PX

JacenKatarnC3PX Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2005
    Okay, a few question and comments here. I know he is a master of Form V liek Anakin is, but there is a problem I have reached. In Jedi Power Battles, he'sa real slow but strong guy. But, if you think about it, nobody with that kind of style could possibly survive the battles he has. So any speculations about this? Do yall think he is as fast and as stylish as Anakin, or as crappy as he is in Jedi Power Battles?

NP edit: I think the question was answered a while ago and this thread has become a flame-and-bait fest so I'm locking this up.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. TheOffice

TheOffice Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2006
    Yay someone else who plays JPB!
    No Jedi are that slow but it's just a part of the game, I mean they have it like this
    Plo: Massive Attack, Tiny Speed, Less/average Force
    Mace: Good Attack, Average Speed, Less/average force
    Obi; Average
    Qui gon: Less/average attack average speed, Good Force
    Adi: Tiny attack , faster than light speed, less/average force

It's kind of a pattern, has no effect on Plo's stats in canon.

3. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Rarely do video games depict the fighting style of a Jedi accurately; in many video games, the Jedi run out of Force energy. In others, some Jedi are slow. But in regards to canon, Jedi do not lose Force energy (unless there is an ysalimiri in the area), and Jedi are not slow. It just doesnt happen.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They also don't have continues. Otherwise Order 66 would have been a massive failure. ;)

5. TheOffice

Jan 11, 2006
    [face_blush]That too

6. JacenKatarnC3PX

Apr 2, 2005
    Okay good. I was wondering about that. So yall think he is almost as good as Anakin? I'm pretty sure Anakin would win between the 2, but do you think Plo Koon does all those fancy and fast twirls of the lightsaber?

7. TheOffice

Jan 11, 2006
    As much as I hate to say it Anakin would win (sorry Plo!!)

But Plo survives the attack on Cato Nemoidia so they might feature him in "last of the jedi"

8. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003

The last I knew, Plo was blown to itty bitty pieces in ROTS. What comic says he survived? It would be an interesting read.

9. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    WHAT!? Plo survives? *Jumps up and down*

10. TheOffice

Jan 11, 2006
    Oh I don't read EU except for the Jude Watson stuff but I found this on wikipedia:

Missing in action

A number of Jedi survived the initial slaughter of Order 66, but have not reappeared in the galaxy at large since the early days of the Purge. Their ultimate fates are unknown, but it is likely that most of them eventually succumbed to the Emperor's Jedi-hunters.

* Ekria
    * Fy-Tor-Ana
    * A'sharad Hett
    * Kai Hudorra
    * Sian Jeisel
    * Das Jennir
    * Kai Justiss
    * Plo Koon
    * K'Kruhk
    * Drake Lo'gaan
    * Garen Muln
    * Noirah Na
    * Ferus Olin
    * Plett
    * Olee Starstone
    * Dorn Tavers
    * Travgen
    * Quinlan Vos
    * Zao
    * Zonder

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    Wikipedia is absolutely the worst source to use in regards to Star Wars. Fans who want their favorite character to survive go on there and change it so that they do just that.

The best bet for accurate Star Wars information is the Star Wars Databank. Wikipedia is just ridiculous. You might as well get information from SuperShadow.

12. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I agree. Wikipedia is a good source for other things, but you just simply DON'T USE IT for Star Wars information.

13. TheOffice

Jan 11, 2006
    i also saw it sumwhere else but i cant remember where

14. JacenKatarnC3PX

Apr 2, 2005
    Ehhh, most of those are correct. But I know for a fact that Plo Koon one is a rumor. I heard that on a source. A whole bunch of fans got together and decided that he pressed the eject button before he died. Lol. Get this one. I also heard a bunch of Mace Winda fans got together and said Mace survived his fall off the building! LOL That's hilarious! He's was practically dead before he fell off. And the Star Wars Wiki isn't that bad. You just gota watch out for stuff like that. It's easy to pick out.

15. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    It is my dream to see Darth Vader utterly dismantle a "fancy twirly flipz" style of lightsaber fighting...

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You need to read Dark Lord, then. ;)

17. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    He did that with TK, didn't he?

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    To one of 'em. There were quite a few other Jedi Lord Vader dispatched. :D

19. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003

See, that's the problem with Wikipedia; the person who is actually looking for information may be duped into believing the fals info that is planted there by fans with ridiculous theories.

Darth Vader, or anyone else, for that matter. "Fancy twirly flipz" are just ridiculous

20. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Most of the time, I'm very annoyed by an acrobatic fancified style, which probably comes form my background in karate, Shotokan specifically, which is a very grounded style. In my dad's Shotokan school, we would always make fun of Tae-Kwon Do, because it's so flashy and useless alot of the time.

However, there are certain occurences when flashy twirly flipz aren't all that bad. Shaolin Monk Fighting, for example, is an acrobatic style. But because it is so highly developed and focused, it is very useful.

My point is, it's all in how you use the flashy twirly flipz. Of course, I know no one is going to listen to the guy who actually has some background in martial arts :rolleyes:

21. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003

You're not the only one who has a background in combat. I've studied Fencing, and believe me, those fancy moves are useless. There are simpler ways to dodge a thrust or slash from an opponent. Keep your wits about you, and know your surroundings, and you can conserve your energy.

It was best represented when Obi-Wan slashed Anakin on Mustafar; Anakin pulled a fancy flip, and Obi-Wan just easily slapped him down.

22. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I agree, in that sense. Of course in fencing flashy moves are useless, but the majority of the combat in Star Wars is not fencing. Form II is fencing, yes, but each different form represents a unique style found in a certain part of the world.

Ataru, for example, is very similar to the broadsword style used by Shaolin Monks. Which, as I said, can be acrobatic and slightly flashy at times, but is in the very same breath, very useful in the right situation.

Form II, then again, is a bit flashy at times as well, especially in the hands of Dooku. Look at the spins and flips he uses, but it's hard to find anyone who will speak negatively about him the way they do about Darth Maul. A spin or jump can do many positive things. A spin can add momentum to a strike, or allow one to quickly dodge and instantly be put into a position for a powerful counter. Again, this is in other styles, and not particularly fencing, since fencing relies more on speed than power.

The simple truth is, every style in Star Wars is going to be flashy and prettiful, because it's a movie. The only reason the swordfights weren't so fast and nice looking in the originals is because they didn't focus on the swordfights. They later compensated for this by saying that Luke and Vader used the same style, which was portrayed to be slow but bold.

23. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Form V, I would say, is the supreme style. The Shien variant, which was the one Vader pwned Luke with on the catwalk(IIRC), would beat anyone using any style, even Vaapad.

24. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005

Funny, since Shien happens to be based on the Samurai style, which too, could pwn just about any European style.

25. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Yeah, Shien has a fairly obvious inspiration in kenjutsu...down to the chudan no kamae stances Vader and Luke both assumed(although I think Luke used Form I in the beginning, which I suspect is also kenjutsu reminiscent).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.