main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Plot, Adventure, and Intrigue

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Colda_Fopen, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colda_Fopen

Colda_Fopen Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2003
    Has anyone noticed how intensely different the plot structure in the PT is compared to the OT?
    The OT focused on a very simple idea, the Rebellion battling against the Empire. The heroes always had a linear path, always regrouped on some planet to discuss their next offensive, and even when Luke would take a detour to learn from Yoda, everything was still very direct.
    The PT is attempting something totally different. Detective Stories, Political turmoil and upheaval, love and betrayl, fate and choice.
    This isn't to say nothing of the kind took place in the OT, but it was always as if the depth of the OT came from the characters as they went after a simple goal, in a simple plot.
    So my question is this- What do you think motivated GL to make the PT this way? Sure, there was Anakin's story to tell, but doesn't it seem like the plot of the PT is trying to be on such a grander, more elaborate scale? Do you think that belittles the value of the indeviduals? Do you care less about Anakin because of everything else that is going on, while you found Luke easy to follow because everything was on such a smaller scale? What do you think is successful in the plot of the PT compared to the OT?

2. Colda_Fopen

Colda_Fopen Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2003
    Cool, everyone cares! :) (Sniffle)

3. Bid4Tuna

Bid4Tuna Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2003
    i agree and i think tha'ts pretty cool

4. Empress_Padme

Empress_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2003
    I think GL was motivated to tell the PT differently because of what he needed to accomplish in the PT. The OT begins with a story already in progress: the empire attempting to crush the last warriors of the rebellion to make their conquest of the galaxy complete and Luke struggling to free himself of his dreary and uneventful life to discover the adventures that lie just beyond the boundaries of Tatootine.

Whereas, the PT deals with the HOW of all characters and political landscape came to be in OT. It?s complicated because it?s not black and white. The elements of evil that exist in the OT originated from mostly good people with good intentions. It demonstrates how human nature frequently goes terribly awry with weaknesses such as betrayal, greed, megalomania, arrogance, and the inability of some people to adapt to common human conventions such as loss whether by separation or death.

I don?t feel the way the story is told diminishes Anakin at all. I care more about Darth Vader?s story now that I have been introduced to Anakin Skywalker. Personally, I like stories with layers such as plot, adventure and intrigue more than straight forward stories because it makes me think and/or question my values and beliefs.

5. ACloneWhoIsDifferent

ACloneWhoIsDifferent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2003
    I love the adventure of course

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think that ANH was made with a saga idea in mind, but unsure of it. So what you get with the OT is a semi-saga that tries to have themes and great characters, but doesn't have the depth of the overall saga. None of the films on their own have the depth of the whole saga.

I think when GL decided to make the PT, he knew that he had to show a lot of really dark things that lead from this great republic to the repressive Empire we see in the OT. He had characters and themes set up and the chance to delve into them more deeply.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.