main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Plot Holes and Inconsistencies in the Prequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by janstett, Sep 13, 2011.

1. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Are you talking during the years of the Rule of Two? Simple, the Sith Master was never willing to risk revealing his/her existence to the Jedi Order by attempting to lure one of its members to the dark side.

Or are you talking even earlier than that? Because if so, there were numerous accounts of Jedi turning Sith before Bane implemented the Rule of Two.

2. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I was referring to the events where the Sith "supposedly" became extinct. Ever since that period, nobody in the Jedi Order had fallen to the Dark Side until Count Dooku met up with PalpSidious.

3. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    We don't know that. We know of the "Lost 20." Jedi that willingly left the Order but didn't fall to the dark side. Until Dooku, that is. There are probably several (Aurra Sing anyone?) that fell to the dark side over the years that aren't included in Lost 20.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Using that logic, slavery in the South "worked perfectly" because the South was economically prosperous in the early to mid 1800s. Also using that logic, oppression of women "worked perfectly" because families were more stable (at least on the surface) prior to the advent of feminism, when women actually had more careers become available to them other than teaching and nursing. Social conservatives make that particular argument all the time in fact, that the 50s were a better time because of "family stability", and while it may be true that families stayed together more, due to the pre-60s-era oppression of every citizen that was not white, male and heterosexual, it was not a "better time" nor did a social code including such oppression "work perfectly."

And no, I absolutely do not think that the old Jedi Code was tantamount to enslaving people, or laws allowing men to rape their wives. The comparison I'm making is that there is more to determine whether a philosophy is "working perfectly" than what we see on the outside. And there is more to determine whether a philosophy is "working perfectly" than the notion that "Nothing really bad has happened for X amount of time so it must be working perfectly."

And as son_of-skywalker03 pointed out, prior to Darth Sidious (with Plagueis behind him) entering politics, the Sith had operated much more secretly. They needed to formulate their "Grand Plan" before moving more into the open.

And as I said earlier, any absurd philosophy can work "perfectly" if an organization creates a vacuum in which it is guaranteed to "work perfectly." A real test of the Jedi Code involves training someone who was not raised from birth to only know that Code. Luke was a much better test--more on that:

Really? Obi-Wan and Yoda took Luke from Owen and Beru at birth and raised him in a Temple where he would only know Jedi as his family?

The Jedi Code changed after ROTS. It was not completely tossed out, many of the basic tenets remained, as they should have, but thankfully the blanket condemnation of normal familial attachments went out the window. And Yoda and Obi-Wan were not nearly so dogmatic with Luke as they were with Anakin. One example, contrasting Yoda's conversation with Luke in ESB and Anakin in ROTS: The basic message was the same--adherence to the "greater good" is more important than saving a few friends--but the presentation was drastically different, put in terms that were understandable for someone who was not raised in a Temple, and therefore Luke was able to internalize it to a point.

From Yoda in the ROTS novelization: "Too old I was. Too rigid. Too arrogant to see that the old way is not the only way. These Jedi, I trained to become the Jedi who had trained me, long centuries ago--but those ancient Jedi, of a different time they were. Changed, has the galaxy. Changed, the Order did not--because let it change, I did not."

Organizations must progress in order to remain viable, and Yoda realized this.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yoda referred to "the shadow of greed". Thus, it's not a direct reference to greed itself, but to the possible connection between these things. Essentially, it's the same message that Yoda was trying to get across in TPM, and just as often rejected by Western audiences. But it's borne out by Anakin's story arc.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Arawn_Fenn: Do you think Qui-Gon's philosophy that "greed can be a powerful ally" fits into this at all?

I'm not one who takes the Ayn Rand philosophy that "greed is good", or even Qui-Gon's that greed can be an ally, but I also associate it with material goods, not affection for people or wanting relationships with people. But I'm completely Western-culture immersed.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, Qui-Gon was talking about using the greed of others, not his own greed. It's a parallel to Rokurota using the greed of the enemy as a means of escape in The Hidden Fortress.

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    If I may answer this, greed was a very important element. Anakin's greed to retain things valuable to him. I'm not putting a moral judgment on the need, and certainly one can understand why he wants to hold on, but on the lengths he went to. Nothing is allowed to interfere with his retention of people or things.

Though he may never have consciously realized he was making a choice in some of these cases, he chose Padme's life over killing many others, chose to put his trust in Palpatine and his assurances of saving Padme, most likely would have chosen Obi-Wan over 50,000 kidnapped Togrutans if it had ever gotten to that point...

All actions to benefit his need to hold on to that which he fears to lose.

BTW, I don't mean to imply wanting to save others, or even the actions themselves are always and necessarily selfish in and of themselves. And one certainly might do an action for selfish reasons while at the same time it is the "correct" action.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Even I think the lengths he went to, were wrong. I doubt there is anyone who would call such extreme measures acceptable. But I don't think the sentiment itself--wanting his loved ones to be around for awhile--was selfish or wrong, just a normal part of the human experience. We seem to agree on that.

As I mentioned earlier, I find the intensity of Anakin's fear of loss, which led him to be desperate enough to take such extreme measures, interesting from a psychological perspective. And I do think Anakin was mentally unstable at least from the time his mother died. (Having one's mother die in one's arms after being slowly tortured, would shake the mental stability of most anyone.) But Anakin could not "choose" mental stability as the PP implied; nobody chooses to go insane. What Anakin could have and should have chosen was to ask for help; I think deep within himself, he knew he needed it. He even commented to Padme in the ROTS novelization that he felt he was "free falling in the dark". Then again it is possible that he did ask for help--but from Palpatine. Going back to trusting the wrong people.

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    :) We do agree.

I think he went to Palpatine if he went to anyone at all. He wouldn't want to burden Padme, though he may have shared some of his feelings with her.

I wonder if he thought Obi-Wan would not be so "unconditional" in discussing things. It seems to a hallmark of the Jedi that they either help by turning a question into a question or by giving out well-intentioned platitudes.

The ? to a ? approach requires a willingness to reflect on the questioner's part. I think it's a great approach. I also think Anakin didn't want to think for himself, he wanted to be told (mainly, that what he wanted to hear was what he was told. Validation, not self knowledge.)

The "platitude" approach would have worked had the Jedi said what Anakin wanted to hear. I actually think that was Palpatine's approach, only his platitudes were carefully calculated to validate Anakin. "It's only natural..." for one.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's the other aspect: in order for Anakin to be helped, he needed to be willing to seek it and he needed to be willing to hear information that he might not want to hear. Or reflect on unpleasant events from his past. He probably did not want to relive the Tusken slaughter due to his own guilt--this is discussed in detail in the Clone Wars movie novelization, particularly when Ahsoka is trying to get him to talk about Tatooine. And that's just one bit of unpleasantness he wouldn't want to rehash; there is also his ten years as a slave.

I wish there were more material between TPM and AOTC (written by someone other than Jude Watson) so that we'd have a better indicator of Anakin's training and why he came to trust Palpatine more than Obi-Wan. I don't know if Obi-Wan would have known how to help Anakin but he certainly would have given it his best effort--and not rejected him, which I think Anakin was afraid of.

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Maybe we should collaborate and write that! [face_laugh]

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    [Face_grin]

14. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I'm NOT talking about slavery, I'm talking about self-control and being a master of yourself. Throughout history, people have been letting their emotions get the better of them and they wind up doing terrible stuff. Achilles killed Hector because he was angry with him for killing his cousin and that led to the persian troops burning down the city of Troy. Rameses wanted to kill off all the Jews including Moses because he blamed him for the death of his son despite that Moses warned him that God would smite all the first-born children. Those 2 boys that went to Columbine High School end up shooting all those people because they were tired of being bullied by the very same people. Captain Ahab endangered his entire crew and himself because he wanted revenge on Moby Dick for biting off his leg. I could go on and on but my point is that the Jedi Code was created to prevent any Jedi from having attachments or else, they'd risk succumbimg to the Dark Side. If that happens, there would be hundreds of Sith Lords roaming the galaxy instead of 2. Since you keep bringing up the subject of slavery, the fact that Anakin is born a slave would lead him to have that mentality of wanting to be in control and be a master himself. Anakin never took the Jedi Code seriously because he didn't think that the rules applied to him which is why he got upset when the Council won't grant him the rank of Master and why it was easy for PalpSidious to corrupt him into becoming Darth Vader. As for Luke, he may not have been raised in the Jedi Temple (due to it being destroyed and the Jedi Order no longer exists by the time he's born) but he was given enough time with his family to learn how to emotionally seperate himself from them. Anakin was taken too young from his mother and kids that age aren't ready to seperate from their parents so ergo, he's unwilling to let go of Shmi nor Padme. Obi-wan and Yoda knew that Anakin had seperation anxiety but did nothing and they've seen the results of their inaction so they made up for that mistake by allowing Luke to be with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru.

15. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Well, last I heard, he was conceived by the midi-chlorians... maybe the midi-chlorians had a reason... ;)

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    PMT99: I wasn't talking about slavery either, I used the economic system of the South in the 1800s--a system which included slavery--as an example of a system which people argued against changing because it was "successful". Just because a system appears to be successful does not mean the way it operates is perfect and shouldn't be changed.

You keep bringing up the necessity of learning emotional control--which I agree with--with the assumption that a Jedi must be taken to the Temple as an infant, isolated from his family of origin and never be allowed to marry in order to learn emotional control. That's where I call bull, with Luke being a perfect example. What helped Luke saved Anakin was his attachment to him--without that attachment, he wouldn't have bothered, he would have killed him as Obi-Wan and Luke requested.

"I can't kill my own father."
    "Then the Emperor has already won."

Oddly enough, the very fact that Luke couldn't kill Anakin ended up saving both Luke and Anakin--and Anakin's attachment to Luke enabled him to overthrow Palpatine.

I'm not sure what "rules" Anakin thought "didn't apply to him" but if "Don't miss your mother" and "don't fall in love" are rules, they aren't realistic. I have serious issues with any organization that behaves as the Thoughts and Feelings Police. The only rule that I see that Anakin broke by choice is the rule against marriage. He probably should have left the Order to do that, and according to the ROTS novelization, he was planning to leave it when the war ended. But I'm not going to label getting married as a character flaw, even if it was against "The Rules."

And I'll mention again the rather amusing irony of the PT Jedi being so afraid of the Dark Side that they isolated themselves in order to avoid, well, anything that might make a Jedi afraid. There are ways to teach emotional control without isolation.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission could request a law banning families of small children from living in houses that have stairs, or any number of items considered dangerous to small children. And it would "work" regarding keeping children safe. But it would also be overkill to the point of ridiculousness.

I'm going to agree about Luke; the Jedi should have accepted all new initiates at age 18, just as the military or the priesthood does now.

But I'll mention one point that was left out of ESB: "Luke, you will go to the Dagobah system. There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me. And stop crushing on your sister, both romantic and familial attachments are forbidden for a Jedi."

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm not sure the priesthood would be the best choice for the Jedi order to emulate...

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, I was just trying to come up with a group that has such control (or tries to) overits members' lifestyles.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    What Qui-gon was saying was that greed can be a useful tool, when all one is is greedy. Watto said that only money matters to him and it is the only thing that can affect his decisions. Shmi had pointed out that Watto and various others in Mos Espa, were known for their gambling. It was like Las Vegas, Reno and Atlantic City all rolled into one. So since he couldn't bargin with Watto and couldn't manipulate his mind, all that was left was to use Watto's greedy nature against. That's why after the race was over, Qui-gon pointed out the inevitable result of one who gambles frequently. They'll lose.

20. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Right. When Qui-Gon says "greed can be a powerful ally" he isn't saying to start being greedy, but that you can use the greed of others to your advantage.

21. sluggo

sluggo Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    Yes, Luke's attachment to his father, and his fathers attachment to him saved both at the end. However the only reason they were in the position is because Anakin couldn't let go his attachments to his mother and Padme. If he had been able to do that, he and Luke aren't in that position.

What rules did Anakin think didn't apply him? I'm starting to wonder if you've seen the movies. He got married. He had children. He allowed him to get attachment to Padme to the point that he wanted to stop chasing Dooku to make sure he was ok (to which Obi-wan told him he'd be expelled from the order.....) it appears he didn't even try to seperate himself from his mother. He murdered innocent Tuskins (unless every man, woman and child in that cap was guilty - and even if they did, he still murdered them). He thought hte rules didnt apply to him, and the whole Jedi order paid for it.

Its clear you don't get the force and how it works in the star wars universe, so I'm going to get into the "thoughts anf eelings police" thing with you.

The Jedi aren't isolationist. Their temple is in the heart of coursant, they are active in politics, they have contacts and friends outside the order, they travel the galaxy, they fought a war. They force young Jedi into a father/son releationship. That view of them just plan.....wrong.

22. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Or if the Jedi hadn't placed those unreasonable expectations on him in the first place, he and Luke wouldn't have been in that position.

I thought the point was that the Jedi were the ones who didn't get it, and that's why they lost. They were so afraid of feelings and attachment that when Anakin needed help they just covered their ears and shouted until he went away, and that's what ended up destroying them.

The only Jedi we see with friends outside the order is Obi-Wan. All the other Jedi just sit around in their temple all day meditating and suppressing their humanity. The way the Jedi operated was wrong. They didn't deserve to be wiped out, but it was their own weaknesses and willing blindness that allowed them to be.

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    The forced-to-extreme positions do not help the dialogue - why can't we discuss why we feel certain ways about certain things and why - I know I've gotten my views modified on occasion.

Totally opposite viewpoints and on what basis do either of you come to this opposite conclusion - movies, EU, opinion?

Maybe the truth is both viewpoints - some Jedi "go out" and some "don't."

PERSONALLY, I feel many if not most of the adult Jedi do interact with the galaxy, though of those one cannot accurately predict how many interact on a personal friendly basis. The truth is the films do NOT show us either way.

The EU does; that may or may not fit into your personal canon.

24. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I tend to flip-flop on this issue. I used to believe somewhat that the Jedi being wiped out because they were stagnant is part of the balancing of the force. But general consensus and Lucas himself have stated that the Sith are the cancer, and balancing the force simply means the end of the Sith. I still however agree with those that say the Jedi needed to adapt. IMO Lucas put more thought into this than he gets credit for. For example, a matching viewpoint between Qui-Gon and OT Yoda that has been pointed out by others here (QUI-GON: "Keep your concentration here and now, where it belongs." YODA:"Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing!"). Qui-Gon teaching Yoda and Obi-Wan between ROTS and ANH doesn't come out of nowhere.

Another point I'm not solid in my opinion is the subject of Mace Windu. Part of me sees him as a representation of the PT Jedis' dogmatic and stubborn ways. But I feel like Mace was kind of made the scapegoat in areas where Yoda and Obi-Wan also failed. And besides that, Vader is meant to be the bad guy. Selfishly cutting of Mace's hand to preserve his chance to save Padme isn't supposed to seem like a justified act, it's a betrayal. The final key to Anakin's turn. Mace has (ironically) just started trusting Anakin at this point; "If what you've told me is true, you will have gained my trust.", plus Mace's gesture when Anakin arrives shows he thinks Skywalker is an ally.
    But Mace should have brought Anakin to arrest Palpatine, should of trusted him earlier, should have been less blind to Anakin's conflict.
    Like I said, I'm not 100% on my opinion.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not so much attachment that results in the redemption of Anakin in ROTJ. It's about compassion. Attachment as Lucas defines it for the Saga is the state of being where greed enters into one's heart. They suffer an inability to let go of people and ideas, even emotions, which can be bad. Anakin's love for his mother and his wife wasn't the problem, since as he said that the Jedi are encouraged to love people. The problem is what type of love is it. Anakin's love was a conditional one. He wanted things to stay the same and couldn't accept change because he feared it. His fear for Shmi is what bothered him when he left Tatooine and what the Council could sense while they were testing him. Hence Yoda asking how he felt. This fear resurfaced when his visions of Shmi in pain began at the start of the Ansion mission and grew more intense by the time he found her in the Tusken camp. That fear was now the fear of losing his mother and of a life without her in it. When she died, the fear turned into anger and hatred for the Tusken Raiders. For taking her from him. For changing his life in a way that he did not want it to be like. This is why the Jedi wanted to sever all ties to their loved ones, once they were brought into the Temple. It had happened before and they knew it would happen again. Anakin's problems in ROTS stem from the fact that those same feelings resurfaced with Padme, but because he made a promise to himself to not let a repeat of what happened to Shmi occur, he began to go down a dark and dangerous path. That's why Yoda told him to train himself to let go of his fears and to strengthen himself. Yoda doesn't condemn him for his feelings, but warns him of the dangers in letting his darker emotions take a hold of him.

Luke, on the other hand, saved his father because he loved him. But unlike his father, Luke's love was unconditional. What this meant was that Luke could forgive his father for everything that he had done. For all the Jedi that he betrayed and killed. For killing Obi-wan. For torturing Han and Leia. For killing Biggs. For forcing Lando to betray Han. For cutting off his hand. And though he doesn't know it yet, for contributing to his mother's death. Luke can forgive him for all of this, because he still loves the man. His feelings for his father that he had prior to the duel on Cloud City have not changed. Thus when Luke spares him, he does so because he finally gets it. He understands what drove his father to the dark side and how he could follow in his footsteps. And what causes Vader to save Luke is the fact that Luke had showed him compassion. When he couldn't show it towards Tyrannus, Luke could with him. Luke showed him that the dark side was indeed wrong, but that it was not too late. For the first time in a long time, Anakin could cared about someone other than himself. When he chose to side with Sidious, he did so because losing Padme was going to affect him.

ANAKIN: "I need him . . ."

ANAKIN: "I can't live without her."

ANAKIN: "You will not take her from me."

It's all about himself and his needs, his wants and his desires. When he attacked Mace, he was thinking of himself. When Luke was being harmed, Anakin was thinking of his son.