main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Plot Holes and Inconsistencies in the Prequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by janstett, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It isn't my question. I was responding to someone who doesn't think there's anything inordinately irrational about choosing the dark side in order to stop Padme from dying.

And there's no eureka moment that turns his head towards dark side powers. His experience of it showed him that the dark side is a hollow promise of power that left him and his mother no better off.

It's purely arbitrary. Just because he's in love shouldn't mean he's that randomly perverse. And it's not because he's using Padme as an excuse to fulfill an existing greed for power. It's all because of what happened on Tatooine and not repeating that trauma.

3. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    The tale of Plagueis convinces him. He knows the midi-chlorians are the basis of life and the Force, and that he himself might have been born of midi-chlorians, so it isn't too far-fetched to think that it might be possible to influence them with the Force if you become strong enough, and the dark side is the only path to such power. Besides, he has no other options at this point, which makes him desperate. The Jedi tell him to let go and let Padme die, but he "can't live without her".

And aside from Padme, there is an underlying ambition and need for power and control. He feels the Jedi don't appreciate his efforts and don't give him the prestige he deserves despite his superior abilities. He feels he's being kept away from a position of power. This is why he craves to thwart Palpatine as Emperor. He wants to call the shots so he can do what he thinks is best for the galaxy.

His being denied the rank of master also gives deeper meaning to his line in ANH: "When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I never said that it was normal. I said that Obi-wan is there is not an indication that he needs to take Padme to a hospital to keep the vision from coming true, since there are other reasons and other ways for him to be there. His being there isn't the problem.

The same way that he knows that she dies, when all we see is her screaming and one of the baby's crying. He just knows.

And again, Anakin is focusing on her dying, not where she is dying or how she is dying. He wants to stop her from dying ever. And to do that, he needs the power to stop death. He believes it exists because he exists. It is a matter of belief. The fact that she dies is enough for him. Not that it is in a hospital. And just because Anakin doesn't see a medical droid doesn't mean anything, since as we see, the droids don't do anything other than monitor her vitals. They don't give encouragement like Obi-wan winds up doing. So, again, it is pretty normal in the context of seeing Obi-wan.

Anakin is impulsive and reckless. That's why he is the way that he and why he falls. He commits to the plan because he is convinced that all other alternatives will end in failure and that is not an option for him. This is the only one that he believes in, not because he is gullible but because he has been told his whole life that the Force is a powerful ally and that he himself is a child born without a father, created by the Midichlorians and the Force. He has every reason to believe in the Sith legend when he is proof of it.

Not really. There's other possibilities. Anakin could be dead, he could be with Palpatine, he could be on a mission. Obi-wan is there because she requested him and Anakin couldn't go. Or perhaps Anakin sent Obi-wan since he couldn't be there. There's multiple scenarios here. Not all of which require an assassination attempt, nor a grave injury.

She dies of a broken heart caused by his desire to save her, which lead to his becoming evil.

What if going to Naboo is what leads to her death? What if staying leads to her death? What if going to Alderaan does?

That's why he turns to the dark side, so that he can gain that experience. Remember, Palpatine paints the dark side as not that bad. It is something that the Jedi fear due to dogma, rather than embrace a larger view of the Force.

When she forgets about his vision and laughs it off. When she says, I'm not going to die in childbirth.

She's quite keen to see her husband after he was accused of killing Jedi and Jedi children. Before then, she chooses to stay and try to stop Palpatine along side Bail and the other founding fathers of the Alliance. So she's not worried about childbirth and dying.

5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    A droid decides that she dies of a broken heart because it can find nothing physically wrong with her. That kind of says it all really.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The droid never said that she died of a broken heart. All it says that there is nothing wrong with her, yet they cannot find a way to stop her vitals from dropping. Even a human doctor would be at a loss as well. And if you take note, ever hospital that's seen in the films, has medical droids. Not human ones or alien doctors. They're programmed with all known biological entities that exist within the Republic, which includes humans, and have an extensive knowledge of their anatomy.

What it says is that Anakin was right, she will die in childbirth which she does. Medical science cannot stop her from dying. Only the Force could, but because he is the source of her broken heart and thus the cause of her death, by taking action he caused the future to come to pass. The destiny that was shown was going to come to pass, but what you choose to do or not do, decides the outcome. Meaning if Anakin had chosen to let go of his fears and accept that she might die, then he wouldn't have turned and she would be alive and well. But he chooses the opposite and thus created a self-fulling prophecy.

7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    How do you know he knows? What within the movie confirms that fact? We actually see his two visions, & neither of them give the slightest hint of the environment she's in. So your claim that he knows she's in a hospital is a textbook example of an assumption.
    A good explanation of the problem. Makes him look stupid. Even more-so when he puts all of his eggs in the 'theoretical Sith immortality magic that might not exist' basket.
    Nothing remotely normal about seeing his Jedi pal Obi-Wan, who they agreed to keep the pregnancy a secret from acting as a midwife as she's dying while giving birth. Even witnessing Sio Bibble in that role would make more sense given Padme's stated plan to return to Naboo for the birth. It's bonkers to see Kenobi doing that. Almost as bonkers as Anakin's total lack of reaction to that discovery.
    Where in the movies did we see Anakin learning that the midis impregnated his mother? You're making an art-form out of assuming things & then running with them as fact.
    What if the tale spun by Palpatine is a pile of ****? Even he doesn't express any confidence in it. Might be wise to take some sensible practical precautions instead of murdering everyone & hoping old Palps comes through in time.
    But it points towards the problem. Which is rather than having a planned peaceful birth she's been involved in an incident/emergency situation. That's overwhelmingly the most likely explanation for only seeing Obi-Wan helping with the birth, & sure enough that's what happens.

Here's what Anakin does know. He knows that Padme lives & works on Coruscant. He knows that Obi-Wan lives & often works on Coruscant. He knows that 5 minutes ago the planet was attacked with a huge battle occurring there. With hellfire reigning down on the surface. Even capital ships crash landing on the place. He sees a vision where Padme dies, while she's trying to give birth & with just Obi-Wan there helping her. Who lives on Coruscant. Where she also lives. And you're telling me it shouldn't occur to Anakin to get her to the other side of the galaxy, surrounded by the best care they can find? Which she actually suggests doing! No, despite all of that recent danger in her immediate vicinity, her death has to be "inevitable". Therefore conveniently for the plot, only evil Sith Force powers can prevent it. Even though his mother who he saw die was murdered not by supernatural powers but by frickin Sandpeople. Huston, this storyline has a problem.

Miras-Etrin and Martoto77 like this.
  8. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    OK, so, in Anakin's visions, where does Padme die? Does her place of death has any significance in the story? Is that Coruscant? Some other place? Anakin only sees Obi-Wan helping her, but he's not a place he can escape from. If Padme and Obi-Wan live on Coruscant, does that mean there is no chance he could be helping her on the opposite side of the galaxy?

There are no problems in ROTS' story. There are some in the attempt to present Anakin as a first class idiot and Lucas as an incompetent storyteller.

9. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well consider the event that happened not long before this, the seps attacked Coruscant and kidnapped Palpatine.
    There is still a war going on and while their first attacked failed, isn't it possible that they could try again but this time just simply bombard the planet?
    Cause as much destruction as possible to weaken the republic?
    If the seps blasted the planet and Padme got injured in the attack and Anakin is off world, busy or he died in the attack. Then Obi-Wan being there is reasonable.

But if Padme is off to some world that is not a target for the seps, then her being injured from such an attack is less likely.
    Take London in WW2, would a person living there dismiss the possibility that a person they care for might get injured in a German bombing?
    Coruscant is the capital of the republic and is as such, a likely target by the seps.

[/QUOTE]

I found several problems.
    It is rushed, it needs to accomplish too many things too quickly and feels at times like a check list.
    And I found Griev to be a pointless waste of time.
    More specifically, I found Mace not asking more questions to Anakin, or him not warning any of the other Jedi or him taking a few minutes to make a batter plan than "I will run in there, sword drawn."
    The Jedi acting needlessly ****ish towards Anakin.

And to me, Anakin did come across like an idiot.
    Like him trying a stupidly reckless move for no reason.
    Or him buying everything that Palpatine was selling and not questioning it.
    Even when Palpatine admitted that he didn't have what Anakin wanted, despite his earlier promises, Anakin does not even react.

As for the issue of "Would Anakin believe this talk about a Sith "Raise-Dead" spell."?
    The solution is simple.
    Since Anakin is the Jedi's chosen Sith Terminator.
    He should know as much as possible about the Sith, in order to fight them.
    So he is given access to all the records the Jedi have about the sith and what they can do.
    In them he comes across several instances where Sith's have survived injuries that should be fatal.
    Or siths that have been able to extend their lives far beyond normal.
    And he gets curious.

This way, he has more that just Palpatine's word that this kind of power exist.
    And he would be more inclined to believe Palpatine.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

Darth Downunder likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The same way that he knows that she just ups and dies right then, when the last thing he sees is her screaming when we know that she doesn't scream when she does die.

Where and when isn't the problem. You focus on that as if that will change things, when it doesn't. She's dying because of his desire to help her becomes all consuming. She can still die in a hospital, which she does. Where, when and who aren't the problem.

Way to shift the goal post. Obi-wan being there isn't a problem, no matter how many times you say it is.

Anakin knows that he has no father, he knows that he is the Chosen One and knows that the prophecy states that the Midichlorians were part of that. Seeing it in the film has nothing to do with knowing all that. He knows what he is and thus he knows there is truth in what Palpatine tells him.

Anakin doesn't believe it is. That's the point in having faith in something. He believes that it is possible because he exists and he has believed for three years that it can be done. That there are things that the Jedi aren't telling him. And where does he express a lack of confidence in it? He says, "I am becoming so powerful with my new knowledge of the Force, I will be able to keep you from dying." Some lack of confidence.

Why would taking her to the other side of the galaxy change things? There's thousands of hospitals on Coruscant. Yet, only being on Naboo will change her fate? How does that work? And how is Naboo, Tatooine, Alderaan, Jakku, Lothal or any other world mean that she's safe? What if those worlds are where he takes her and **** goes down? And somehow there's no way that Obi-wan couldn't possibly fly to where she is, because he's asked to by either one of them?

The problem isn't the story. The problem is you. You're trying to find a way that says that story is inconsistent and it isn't because it's not what you would do in that situation. And the fact is whether Padme is beaten to death, chokes on a ham sandwich or dies in child birth, the problem is that she will die. And he cannot handle that.

Grievous wasn't a waste. He was the reason Obi-wan doesn't stop Anakin from turning to the dark side. He was the reason that they were separated, which was part of the original backstory. Not Grievous himself, but that they were separated by different missions. So this falls in line with the 81 story meetings.

Why would he ask questions?

They treated him fairly. He was the one with the attitude problem thinking that he was entitled.

He's arrogant and angry.

Palpatine never said that he had the power, he said that he had the knowledge of the dark side that no one else will give him. No one to train him to be a Sith.

ANAKIN: "I wish I knew. More and more I get the feeling that I am being excluded from the Council. I know there are things about the Force that they are not telling me."

He already believes that the Jedi haven't granted him access to all aspects of Jedi and Sith history. Palpatine even frames it that way when he starts talking about Plagueis.

PALPATINE: "Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis "the wise"?"

ANAKIN: "No."

PALPATINE: "I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend."

DementedMeerkat likes this.
  11. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    This is not an answer to my post. Since when is Padme injured from the separatist attack on Coruscant and dies on the planet so that escaping it, the place where Obi-Wan Kenobi lives, may save her life? Does Padme really die in Anakin's visions on Coruscant so that running away increases her chances of survival?

That's quite OK, but this is not the topic about that.

12. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    Except it is.
    If we assume that Padme has been to a doctor and got a medical check up and is perfectly healthy.
    So her death due to some health issue is not all that likely.
    So what could have happened?
    Either a random accident or some external threat.

Sure she could just have fallen down the stairs and injured herself.
    But why is Obi-Wan there?
    Padme is on Coruscant and so is Obi-Wan and Anakin.
    If she were to just get hurt in a random accident, Obi-Wan is not the most likely person to be there, Anakin is.
    So why is he not there?

So, since there is still a war going on and Padme is living on the capital of the republic, that the seps have already attacked once and could do so again.
    If such an attack happens and Padme gets injured in the process and Anakin is either busy or has been killed by the same attack.
    Then it makes some sense for Obi-Wan to be there.

Given that his mothers death was due to an outside attack, Anakin has no reason to think that the same would not apply here.
    So Padme dies because something violent happens to her.
    And given that she lives on the capitol of the republic that the seps have attacked and could attack again.
    That possibility is fairly likely.

So if Padme is on some less important world, one that is not a target by the seps, then it decreases the odds of her getting injured in due to the war.

[/QUOTE]

Well you stated that there were no problems in the story and I don't agree.
    But let's leave that for now.

@darth-sinister
    What exactly Palpatine said, how Anakin found out and how he was able to leave.
    Remember this is a sith lord that have been able to hide from the jedi for over a decade.
    If Mace learns that Palpatine just up and told Anakin who he is and let him leave.
    That is hugely suspicious.
    And Mace would know that Palpatine knew the Jedi would act against him and could have a plan.

He was a waste to me as I found the character boring, uninteresting, nonthreatening and not intimidating or a credible villain.
    You want to separate Anakin and Obi-Wan, fine have Dooku be the reason.
    He is a better and more interesting character.

Or if you want griev, develop him better, like have him in AotC and show how deadly he is.
    Show, don't tell.
    And what we are told about griev is that he is a coward and runs away from fights all the time.
    Not the way to make a good villain.

Not quite, telling him in front of the whole council that he may sit there but will not be a Master, is not exactly smooth.
    It is pointlessly ******.
    The Jedi didn't like that Palpatine forced their hand and they took it out on Anakin by being petty and denying him a rank.
    Sure his petulant reaction didn't win him any favors either but the Jedi did not handle this with much care or grace.
    Esp since they want him to spy on the chancellor, a person they know he views as a friend.
    So not very bright to antagonize the person you want to do a crucial job.

WRONG!
    So Palpatine 100% says he has this power and that he can save Padme and all that.
    And then he says;
    Here he backs away from his big promises and is suddenly quite vague and more "Oh but IF we work together then I am SURE.."
    Why does he says this?

If he really doesn't have it then nice bit of honesty but kind of misplaced.
    Anakin might have gone "Wait, you don't have the power?? Why did I listen to you?
    You lied to me again, I will kill you and make it look like you all died in the fight."

If he does have it, why lie about it?

Just say that it will take time and Anakin needs to really embrace the dark side and all that.

This line feels odd to me, why is it there and that Anakin does not even react is even odder.
    This is what he threw away everything for and now Palpatine admits that his promises were empty?

Bye.
    Blackboard Monitor

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    The jedi didn't trust Palpatine and telling him in front of the council is what should be done. It's a council. They absolutely shouldn't grant Anakin something just because he throws a fit over not having it or is told by Palpatine to do it. They still have their reservations about the whole connection between them. He shouldn't be so easily antagonized.
    He did lie in that moment to fuel Anakin to betray the jedi and he manipulated him further with the truth to keep him on his leash, because he knows Anakin won't kill him. Because that wouldn't benefit Anakin's goal. Anakin absolutely reacts to it. He glares up at Palpatine for a moment, before submitting. Anakin has no leverage and killing Palpatine will only make it harder to accomplish what he wants. And Palpatine knows it. It's all apart of his manipulation.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Any planet is a target for the war. That includes planets like Alderaan and Naboo. And that still doesn't mean something doesn't go wrong during labor, which would cause her death. And as I've said, there's plenty of reasons for Obi-wan to be there. She even suggested talking to Obi-wan when she told Anakin and Obi-wan knows about their relationship, which is why he went to her before leaving.

This isn't an intel committee meeting. Anakin was told to spy on Palpatine and report back. He did that and Mace believes him. The hows and whys Anakin came across this information isn't important right now.

Except that Lucas wanted Anakin to kill Dooku early, so that he would be one step closer.

He wasn't meant to be a Darth Maul or a Boba Fett. Lucas decided that was atypical and went with a different villain.

Actually, it is a good way to put him in his place. He acted like a spoiled brat and got spanked for it. In the military you get yelled at and forced to do push ups. Hell, I got yelled at by my sixth grade teacher in front of the whole class, because I had screwed up again. Very embarrassing, but also very humbling.

That's not why they denied him the rank of Master and you know it. The Council decides on who is to be a Master and who is to be a Knight. This was established in TPM, when Qui-gon tried to buck the system with Obi-wan and Anakin. And as to antagonizing Anakin, he needed to suck it up. A Jedi does not have an ego and Anakin had one the size of Africa.

No, he didn't. This is what was said.

ANAKIN: "Is it possible to learn this power?"

PALPATINE: "Not from a Jedi."

PALPATINE: "Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi. Learn to know the dark side of the Force, Anakin, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death."

ANAKIN: "What did you say?"

PALPATINE: "Use my knowledge, I beg you . . . "

PALPATINE: "You have great wisdom, Anakin. Know the power of the dark side. The power to save Padme."

Dooku is dead. Maul is gone. He is the only Sith Lord left alive who can teach him the dark side of the Force and thus they can figure out what Plagueis did. This is what Palpatine means when he says, "I have the power to save the one you love." He want Anakin to be his Apprentice and he can pass on the knowledge of the dark side to him, that he will never get from the Jedi Order due to their narrow view of the Force.

DementedMeerkat likes this.
  15. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    If the Jedi don't trust Palpatine or don't feel like doing what he tells them, then don't put Anakin on the council at all.
    Simply say that they are the ones who makes that judgement.
    Anakin might not like it but he would see that the Jedi are only following their rules.

By giving in and giving him a place in the council but denying him a rank.
    They do what Palpatine tells them to but under protest and they spite Anakin.

Telling him in front of the whole council is not a good way to inform Anakin.
    Tell him on the side as to not embarrass him in front of all the others.
    And so that he won't make a scene.

The Jedi should by now be aware how Anakin reacts to not getting his way.
    That is a reason to not make him a master but again, doing in front of the whole council is just making things worse.

[/QUOTE]

But again, why tell Anakin that he does not have what he said he had just a few minutes ago?
    Even if he is sure that Anakin won't kill him, why tell him this?
    Either he doesn't know but keep that quiet and just string Anakin along and have him do more and more evil.
    If he does know, again strong Anakin along.

Anakin is not a patient man, Palpatine knows this. He is also unstable and volatile.
    So why tell him this for no reason?
    If there was even a chance, even if a small one, that Anakin would turn against him after hearing this, why tell him? It serves no purpose.

Palpatine could just tell him that he needs more dark side power and thus must kill more Jedi.
    And he knows that sooner or later, Padme would meet with Anakin and he could guess how she would react and that Anain would not take that well.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Martoto77 likes this.
  16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Council does this because they suspect Palpatine of being up to no good and decide to take advantage of the situation, by having Anakin sit on the Council and use his friendship to Palpatine to get the dirt on him. And Anakin would still have an angry outburst, because he wants to be on the Council and if he's rejected from sitting on it, I guarantee you that he'd throw the same fit. Notice how when Qui-gon is reprimanded, he doesn't get all in a huff about it. He knows his role and shuts his hole.

Qui-gon was told many times that he would not be a Master, in front of the other Council members. Nor would he be the only Jedi told this in an open Council session.

The fact that he makes that scene is a sign that he's a childish person and not a mature Jedi Master like he thinks he is.

Anakin has never behaved this way in front of the Council before, which we saw in AOTC and we saw throughout TCW. This behavior is troubling to them. After all these years, Anakin starts to act un-Jedi like which is a cause for concern. Doing it in front of the Council wasn't the source of Anakin's anger. It was pride. His pride was hurt because he was being denied a rank that he coveted, which is a sign of greed and anger. Dark side feelings. Any other Jedi would have accepted graciously and sat down.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Can someone pls explain this. During the convoluted & largely nonsensical betting between Qui-Gon & Watto, there's this exchange:

Watto: So, you supply the pod and the entry fee and I supply the boy. We split the winnings 50-50 I think, huh?
    Qui-Gon: If it's going to be 50-50 I suggest you front the cash for the entry. If we win you keep all the winnings minus the cost of the parts I need. And if we lose, you keep my ship. Either way, you win.

What on Earth does the highlighted comment mean? Unless I'm missing something it's nonsense. Watto already owns the parts. QG wants them from him. QG has suggested a way for Watto to receive payment in exchange for the parts. That payment will be the winnings from the race. What does the "cost" of the parts matter? Why would Watto subtract the cost of his own parts from the winnings that he will receive anyway?? Is he supposed to invent a figure, hand over that money to QG who will immediately hand it back & take the parts? Why not just say "you keep the winnings & give me the parts"? Is this another brain-fade by Lucas? Looks like it.

18. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I assume Qui-Gon wants the cash just in case Watto will refuse to give him the parts.

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    But he needs to give Watto the money to get the parts. If Watto betrays him apparently he can go to the Hutts to settle it. So why not just agree to get the parts in the first place if Anakin wins?

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    It makes perfect sense? He's saying that if Watto wins, he comes out with pure profit aside from the cost of the parts he has to give to Qui-Gon. That's a perfectly reasonable way for the character to express that concept and it's not even slightly confusing or weird.

I'm at a loss here. I mean, like....huh?

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    A valiant effort. Doesn't work though. It's not what he describes. What you're saying here is that Watto needs to hand over the parts but gets to keep all of the winnings. Full stop. End of story. Qui-Gon on the other hand says Watto gets all the winning minus the cost of the parts. So not all of the winnings at all. @-NaTaLie- 's interpretation is perfectly in line with what QG says. Only problem is, it's bonkers. Lucas has a rare gift for taking a simple idea, complicating it & writing it down as gibberish. What was wrong with QG saying "You get to keep all of the winnings & I get the parts I need" ?

22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    What exactly is the problem here? If they win, Qui-Gon gives all of the winnings from the race to Watto. He then takes the parts he needs to fix the ship, free of charge.

Therefore, Watto gets all of the winnings, minus the cost of the parts Qui-Gon needed.

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    What??? Have I stumbled into a Kafka novel or something? Come on, dude.

In this particular transaction Watto is entering into with Qui-Gon, if he wins, he will gain by the amount of the winnings of the race, minus the cost of the parts Qui-Gon needs. This is the English language. This is where we are right now.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018