main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Plot Holes in the CT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Klingon Padawan, Mar 12, 2013.

1. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    oh yeah.How did I forget the last one...derp.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yoda had either believed that Vader didn't know for certain, or wasn't going to acknowledge his former identity. The latter seems likely given how he said it was an unexpected move on Vader's part. Thus at some point, Yoda had seen something of Vader's mindset through the Force that seemed to give him reason to suspect it.

3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I've always wondered about the "slowly digested over a thousand years" thing in the Sarlaac,

well...wouldn't you be dead? you wouldn't feel acidic digestive juices burning you,

and even if you were alive, I don't think many species would live that long anyway.

Or Have I totally misread this line all these years?

Sarge and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think Yoda and Obi-Wan not telling Luke before he went off to rescue his friends and face Vader was actually a good idea. Now I don't condone lying, but if they had had told him, Luke probably would have been more tempted to take Vader's offer.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

No, it's accurate. The intention is that you'll suffer until you die and then instead of a proper burial or funeral pyre, you're just left there to rot.

6. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    ok fair enough, thanks for answering Sinister :)

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU, it's suggested that the Sarlacc preserves, at least to a limited degree, the intellects of its prey.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A_Barve_Like_That:_The_Tale_of_Boba_Fett

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Susejo

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I should perhaps read the Wook more often :p

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I rather doubt it. I suspect Luke would have reacted just as he had done on Bespin. I think Yoda had underestimated Luke . . . just as he had underestimated Anakin in the end. And their lying only makes them seem controlling to me. It seems as if they were incapable of giving Luke the benefit of doubt.

Sarge likes this.
  10. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    What's that you say? Old Jedi Masters attempting to control young headstrong prodigies and instead driving them down an entirely different path? Surely not! At least this time Luke at least managed to stay a hero and not dive off the deep end like his daddy.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I don't think it was right for Yoda and Obi-Wan to control Luke in that manner. It seemed as if they were trying to rob him of his free will or trying to manipulate his moral compass beyond his own control. And Luke nearly gave in to evil anyway. And just because he managed to overcome his negative impulses once, doesn't mean that the danger of him giving in to evil had completely disappeared. However, this is not a plot hole to me.

My biggest problem is Luke's Jedi training after "Empire Strikes Back". Why didn't he just go back to Yoda and finish his training, which would have been the right thing?

12. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes it is quite odd that they simply don't tell him when it is clear he is leaving.
    If they don't and Vader tells him, then that could be very bad. Almost certainly worse than if they told him.
    And say Luke had somehow managed to kill Vader and they told him after the fact. How would he react to that? Not well I think.

As to your second point, that depends on how much time you think passes between ESB and RotJ.
    In my view, since Lando and Chewie were going to Tatooine and Luke said he'd join them there,
    I think that a few weeks, at most 1-2 months had passed.
    So Luke did not have time to go back to Yoda, rescuing Han was more important.
    As soon as that was done however, he did go back.

It does create problems in how much stronger Luke is and how more along he is in his training.
    But then again, how much time passed in ESB? A few weeks, a month? And Luke went from novice to quite skilled in that short amount of time.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

darth ladnar and Tosche_Station like this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Jedi were trying to prepare Luke to understand why someone would choose to become evil, by training him in the Jedi Arts first. Telling Luke before hand might cause him to decide against becoming a Jedi. Luke needs to learn about the Force and the dark side, before he can be prepared for knowledge such as this. Though this, Luke comes to realize what the dark side means and is able to fight it off.

Because Luke wasn't ready to go back. He needed to rescue Han first and spent that time preparing on his own.

Initially when TESB was being written, the idea was that Luke would go back to Dagobah to finish his training at the end of the film. This was in the Brackett draft. But when Lucas reached ROTJ, he initially decided that Luke would only go back after Han was rescued and would continue his training before going to Had Abadon. But then it was too similar to TESB, so he dropped that in favor of Luke not being trained by Yoda, but training on his own. But then Lucas decided that Yoda and Obi-wan could not get involved in Luke's conflict with the Sith, so he left them out and that raised the stakes in the duel.

As to the time period, Lucas never said how long, but it was supposed to be a good long while. Official materials put it between eight months to a year.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The Other.

Who could it be? George's choices were really limited at that point.

It was probably best for it to be someone already present. I don't think a Johnny come lately/Scrappy would go over well. Are they just gonna introduce some random person in the last movie of the trilogy? Steve? Steve the Jedi?

Luke: Who's this guy?
    Yoda: Introduce you to someone, I must. Steve, this is.
    Steve: Oh, Luke, so nice to meet you! I've heard so much about you! I've been training here on Dagobah since you left your training, and I think I'm ready to join the main cast! Have you come back to complete your training?
    Luke: Ben, you said I was the only one! *runs off crying*
    Steve: Oh, Luke, don't be like that. Anger leads to hate!

Okay, so if it's not going to be Steve, who could it be?

Could it be Han? The non-believer?
    Lando, the scoundrel?
    Chewie?
    R2 or 3PO?
    Boba Fett?
    Wedge?
    The Wampa?
    Lobot?

Leia is the best option. The only real option, imo. Better than Steve. Or some guy named Kane Starkiller or whatever.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Steve, played by Ben Affleck?

NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

16. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

The other was Luke's sister, who wasn't Leia. She would still be out there.

Lucas changed it when he decided to wrap it all up and end at Jedi.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  17. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  18. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Oh dear, that was a big mistake.

19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I actually like the idea that Luke trained himself during that time. It showed his independence and that you don't need to rely on your masters all the time.

Lt. Hija and Sarge like this.
  20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Why? All it meant was refining what he learned which worked as he was able to construct a Lightsaber, rescue Han and then fight his father in battle. In basic terms, Luke had most of what was necessary. He just needed to master self-discipline. Given what we know of TFA, it seems to be more than sufficient.

21. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    How does the Empire explain away that it has destroyed an entire planet of 10 billion sentient beings? Surely the galaxy will be curious for an explanation of this.

22. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Luke wasn't with Yoda long enough to advance to the level that he did by the third film on his own. In fact, I find it very improbable that he did without a hands on tutor.

23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    How far advanced was he really? The only difference I see from TESB is that he had learned to control himself. He was still cocky and displayed aggression (Force choking, threatening Jabba). He seemed very composed throughout most of the movie, but with Vader and Palpatine, he was basically just playing it cool. His anger lay dormant just beneath the surface, waiting for something to trigger it.
    Yoda knew that. That's why he said that Luke had to face Vader. He had to pass that trial in order to learn true control.

"That's what you'll get for sticking it to the man. Now fall in line!"

Sarge likes this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Remember what Tarkin said about fear making the systems fall in line. That policy wouldn't work at all if the Empire chose to explain away Alderaan's destruction as anything but a blatant threat of violent retribution to any world that didn't toe the line.

only one kenobi likes this.
  25. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

It seems improbable to me that a simple case learning self control was the difference between his skills in the second movie and his skills in the third movie. That seems to be reaching it for me.