main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Plot Holes in the CT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Klingon Padawan, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    So are you saying that the tunnel of the asteroid that they flew into was some kind of bodily orifice?

Tosche_Station likes this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The tunnel of the asteroid was the space slug's mouth.

Chased by TIE fighters and dodging asteroids, they did not have time to scan for the presence of something that reputable scientists claimed could not exist - a space slug large enough to swallow a starship.

And practically speaking, what would you scan for? Flob?

Sarge and Tosche_Station like this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yes, it is.

[​IMG]

The worm was much further back than we saw in the film and with its mouth open, it looked like part of the tunnel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Interesting. Is there any visual hint at all, even in the SE that there's a slug in the tunnel with it's jaws open?

When I was a kid I thought they must've flown into its back passage [face_sick]

5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    When the crew emerge from the ship, they remark that the cave seems very moist, then Han experiments by shooting his blaster off, prompting a reaction from the creature they are inside.

6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I get that. We're talking about how they got inside in the first place. When they enter the asteroid it appears to be a regular cavern within it. Apparently we're to believe the slug was laying inside the asteroid with its mouth wide open in case of the billion to one possibility that something eatable might fly in from deep space!

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    That's pretty much how basking sharks operate, only in the ocean rather than deep space. What's the problem?

8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Basking sharks are in an ocean full of prey. An asteroid is in deep space full of...space.

I guess we could say the asteroid has a thin atmosphere with a population of mynocks. He's laying there catching them. Okay, a bit dubious but that'll do.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Not exactly, it's deep inside an asteroid field. This organism probably chews up asteroids for nourishment. In the case of the Falcon, I'd assume that the space slug has a peculiar preference for objects that consist mostly of metals, hence it went after the Falcon.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You don't see it because that would give it away. That's why ILM had the interior of the Exogorth look similar to the interior of an asteroid. A nice sleight of hand trickery.

11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Ok so it eats rock (rock is inorganic therefore no nourishment but anyway). Then why exactly was it laying in a tunnel with its jaws wide open? It didn't "go after" the Falcon, apparently it was lying in wait. Do many ships have a habit of flying into that cavern?? Seems like a 1 in a million circumstance.

I wouldn't call this a plot hole but if you apply the sort of nitpicking you like to direct at TFA I think this space slug scenario is highly dubious.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Silicon-based lifeform! Brilliant, right into Star Trek territory ;)

14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Like "deflector shields" and "tractor beams"? :D

I don't know if it would be "silicon-based" (like Trek's Horta on Janus VI), there are plenty of space creatures in the world of scifi (Star Trek, Babylon 5) and The Clone Wars presented us another variety of such lifeforms, I only think it's fair to assume that their food differs from ours significantly.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Of the entire planet, how did Luke manage to crash into a swamp only a few yards from Yoda's house on Dagobah?

How come there was gravity inside the asteroid worm's belly?

Given his general speed and walk, how does C-3PO catch up to Luke so quickly in ANH when he runs outside the Lars Homestead to look for R2-D2 through the binoculars? Even up a flight of steps?

How far do Luke and Leia go on the speeder bikes? Seems like miles and miles. Yet Luke is back in no time.

16. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Bob Effette asked

Of the entire planet, how did Luke manage to crash into a swamp only a few yards from Yoda's house on Dagobah?

Either the Force guided him there or Ben Kenobi's ghost provided Luke's subconsciousness with an idea which spot to choose.

How come there was gravity inside the asteroid worm's belly?

Maybe that part of the space slug lay parallel to the asteroid's center of gravity?

Given his general speed and walk, how does C-3PO catch up to Luke so quickly in ANH when he runs outside the Lars Homestead to look for R2-D2 through the binoculars? Even up a flight of steps?

I think this one qualifies as a continuity error, but not a plot hole. Even better is the riddle how Artoo made it from the upper pedestal in Jabba's Palace to the ground floor. http://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-vi-return-of-the-jedi-1983/5/
    (watch frames # 49 to # 81 for clues) :D

How far do Luke and Leia go on the speeder bikes? Seems like miles and miles. Yet Luke is back in no time.

That's not what I see in the film: http://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-vi-return-of-the-jedi-1983/40/
    (frame # 179 and further).
    It rather looks as if Solo has actually fallen asleep while waiting for Luke and Leia to return.

P.S.
    More ANH plot "holes" recently discussed here: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/why-is-the-first-movie-great.50036597/page-2

17. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Thanks Lt. Hija

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

How quickly we forget about Mynocks.

[​IMG]

A species which is also capable of surviving in the vacuum of space.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Obviously *cough* there was no vacuum in that particular part of the space slug's belly. The Mynocks rather looked like some parasites somehow profiting from the space slug's intestinal flora, which must have created sufficient atmospheric pressure. [face_whistling]

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Han recognizing them on sight suggests he's met them before. Yet it takes him a long time to figure out he's in a slug. Conclusion - Mynocks are more typically encountered outside slugs.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  21. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord

Yes, you are right and I stand corrected.

But then we need to seriously question the purpose of the Mynocks' wings that can't be of any good use in the vacuum of space. Unless...

Mynocks use their wings to create exotic energy fields that enable these to move forward in space. Certainly this kind of biology has been examined to arrive at some kind of practical use for spaceships.

Well, that could just be the explanation what the large wings of Imperial Tydirium-type shuttles are actually good for. ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's also the question of where they evolved.

If they evolved in atmosphere, they may have adapted to both high and low pressure environments, becoming "amphibious" (metaphorically speaking).

23. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Their organic nature seems to suggest that.

Actually, Mynocks might be among the oldest lifeforms in the GFFA, responsible for panspermia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

But by the time of the OT they are merely regarded as a pest.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Doesn't explain the seemingly "normal" level of gravity inside the slug. This seems impossible. At best an asteroid would have micro-gravity a fraction of the strength of a planet. Very silly nitpick though.

One error is with R2 & the Ewok ropes. He's clearly seen standing there not tied up: http://caps.pictures/198/3-starwars6/full/star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-8789.jpg
    Then literally a few seconds later he is: http://caps.pictures/198/3-starwars6/full/star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-8800.jpg