main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Plot Holes in the CT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Klingon Padawan, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013

Maybe the Emperor was using the darkside of the force to project some form of darkness or dark mind-control over the minds of many. That possibility aside, it was a lost cause at that point anyway. Why continue fighting? It was all based on a lie and many probably realized that point for a few years by then.

2. Darth Dru

Feb 1, 2013
    Is it true that many high ranking members of the Empire were charged with war crimes after the war? I heard that Palpatine established death-camps and killed anyone who spoke out against him and/or the Empire.

3. Darth Dru

Feb 1, 2013

I had always assumed she meant her adopted Mother, not Padme.

Death T likes this.
  4. Darth Dru

Feb 1, 2013

LOL

5. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    That's probably the best assumption to make.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

I don't buy it, it was immediate. And Nazi Germany was falling and surrounded, the empire was a "GALACTIC EMPIRE" that was in no danger as a whole. I could maybe buy that Palpatine's death could have brought about the end of the war, but not immediately like that.

I think at the least there should have been a scene that showed someone taking command and ordering the fleet to stand down. Something.

7. Darth Dru

Feb 1, 2013

I can see your point here. A scene showing that would've been good. Perhaps the Rebels has launched attacks elsewhere as well, and key victories had been secured. RotJ only focused on where the main characters were. Maybe? lol

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He executed some, and sent others to Kessel- in the EU.

War crimes do get mentioned- but what annoyed certain fans was that one of the few high ranking Imperials to be specifically executed right after the battle of Endor, was also one of the least evil- Grand Admiral Teshik:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Osvald_Teshik

9. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Much of the Imperial military prowess was caused by Palpatine's battle meditation guiding them, they probably went into chaos after he died.

The Battle of Endor did defeat the Empire 100%, remnants of the Empire still existed. However, it did give the rebel's victory, as the rebels now gained control of the galaxy, being the ruling government.

Also, Palpatine's death was an important factor in the rebel's victory. As you said, his death lowered the morale of the Imperials.

Other important factors were the deaths of his second-in command (Vader) and many of the Empire's leaders, combined with the troops going into chaos after their leader died.

Death T and Darth Dru like this.
  10. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Like it or not, it's canon unless explicitly contradicted by on-air canon, which it has not been.

11. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    The construction cannot have begun any earlier than the destruction of the first Death Star, as the Imperials show no sign of knowing about the design flaw until they analyzed the Rebel attack strategy.

They then re-designed the power systems of the DS II to fix the flaw, which is why the Rebels had to take it out before it was completed.

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    To you, perhaps.

13. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    The only flaw in that argument is that Luke specifies her real mother...

kubricklynch likes this.
  14. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Neither you nor I get to make the canon rules. And the canon rules state that EU material is canon unless explicitly contradicted.

End of argument.

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm the consumer of this product, nobody make the rules but me. That's true for everyone. If you want to be told how to enjoy the product, that is your choice. I choose for myself. And as far as I'm concerned, the movies and the EU are separate entities.

This also happens to be a thread about CT plot holes, in that context the movies should be judged on their own merits.

Endor_Commando likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Plenty of room for them to redesign the thermal exhaust system on a DS2 that's only in the very first stages of construction.

17. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Well he never did own R2-D2 or any other droid in the PT films. Which is why he doesn't recall ever owning a droid.

Two big plot holes in TESB are, why does Han wait 3 years to pay back Jabba, and why Obi-Wan waits 3 years to tell Luke to go find Yoda.

Besides the giant worm living in space, Han and the gang walking out into a vacuum with only O2 masks, and somehow there is also gravity too. They should have been floating around in full space suits.

In ROTJ, Luke's rescue plan for Han doesn't make alot of sense. How the imperial fleet just disappears after the Death Star's sheilds go down.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  18. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    The thing about the EU is, the movies are only 2 to 2.5 hrs each, there's no way they can cover every little aspect in that small of a time frame. That's where the EU comes in. If you have a question about why something was done the way it was(and it wasn't explained in the movies), then the most "official" explanation is in the EU(most of the time).

If you don't want to refer to the EU, then the only other option is to make up your own answer(which can be fun, lol).

If you don't want to do either of those, then you pretty much have to take the movies at face value, "plot holes" and all, and not ask any questions.

KSkywalker, AshiusX and Andy Wylde like this.
  19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Every movie ever made is held to the same standard. It's not complicated. A movie either makes sense or it doesn't. You should never have to look to outside explanations for answers to a movie's logic, and if you do it's a plot hole.

Jcuk, kubricklynch and DARTHSHAME like this.
  20. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    But no movie, especially when it's on this scale, can explain everything. It covers the most important details, regarding the main characters. If the plot holes are that major in any movie, either you write it off as a crappy movie... or if the movie is that important to you(and either it doesn't have explanations elsewhere, or you choose not to consider them), then you fill in the gaps with your imagination.

The holes regarding DS construction timeframe, or Leia remembering her mother, are problems caused by the PT.

The issue regarding the Imperials giving up after Palps death, I'm satisfied with the reasons given here. It's not even something that I even thought about before, and still doesn't bother me now.

I read some SW comics here or there, but not really the novels. Any question I have is usually covered in Wookiepedia, and I'm satisfied with that.

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Again though, a movie is judged on it's own merits. As are all movies

22. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    They're also separate entities as far as Lucas is concerned. Plus the battle meditation was brought up like a decade after ROTJ.

The Imperial fleet giving up was just to make it more dramatic, Lucas has never seemed to be overly concerned with logic.

23. Endor_Commando

Endor_Commando Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2007
    Right On !
    The EU does not exist in my world.
    It's worrying that some of these posts are unfairly giving plot holes for the Original Trilogy when it is the Prequel Trilogy films that have created inconsistencies between the two trilogies.

KilroyMcFadden and Jcuk like this.
  24. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I'm the consumer of this product, nobody make the rules but me. That's true for everyone. If you want to be told how to enjoy the product, that is your choice. I choose for myself. And as far as I'm concerned, the movies and the EU are separate entities.
    ---

agreed

25. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    But that's just the thing, there shouldn't be inconsistencies between any of the films. For a franchise the size of Star Wars it should have been checked over and over again to prevent this from occurring. It's as if the PT was designed without consulting the detailed info from the OT.

Inconsistencies from EU I can understand to a point but I thought they were checked for any conflict/inconsistencies in story or character.

Endor_Commando likes this.