main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plot Holes In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Tremblingblustar

Tremblingblustar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 14, 2018
    If Kylo were written intelligently, he would have noticed Luke looking the same and guessed something were going on. That might have been an interesting development, but would have taken away another chance to make Kylo look like a buffoon.

castlecrasher2 likes this.
  2. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    i'd say its the exact opposite. Because Kylo is full of rage and anger he didn't notice the saber which is true to his character. If he noticed the lightsaber it would have been out of character and bad writing.

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Is there any way to reconcile the bombing squad following Poe into battle after he's refused Leia's orders to disengage?

4. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    What's the reason for not using the bombers in their bombing mission in TFA??? Where did all these ships even come from, when TFA only showed us hangars for X-Wings and one alien guy claims that "half their fleet" was destroyed after losing a couple of fighters.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  5. Tremblingblustar

Jan 14, 2018
    Does he have a history of not noticing obvious details? He throws fits, but we haven't seen him become incompetent because of it. Unless you consider having very little security when guarding Poe and Rey in the last film, but I think that was just bad writing.
    Likewise here. Since he had become the leader of the FO, I'd assume he doesn't have a history of incompetence.

6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    In shuttle launches, they had several abort points. After a certain height/speed, they had to commit to go to space.

I see this as the same. They had a chance to pull back, but after Poe did not return, they then committed to the attack.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  7. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    that ones easy. They are not fast enough not to mention the target was inside the base the ships wouldn't have been able to get in there. They also didn't need the heavy bombers to blow up the base just an X-wing with it's lighter attacks to take out the core.

He doesn't see the hilt remember. That's covered by Luke's hand. If he did notice it he could have thougth that Luke made a new blue lightsaber.

Honestly I didn't notice it was Anakins lightsaber till the second viewing. I didn't think anything of it probably because when I think of Luke I think of him with a blue lightsaber so I didn't think anything was out of the ordinary.

why would you need heavy security for a person tied down inside your own base where everyone wears the same uniform.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Blobofat and Ricardo Funes like this.
  8. Tremblingblustar

Jan 14, 2018
    I don't know if he was referring to the attack on Starkiller base, or the bombing attack from TFA. In any event, I'm willing to believe that, for whatever reason, the Resistance just doesn't have any Y-wings to use.

He saw enough of the hilt for him to at least wonder if something were up. Also, Luke appeared to have not aged since Kylo had last seen him. I know if I ran into someone who had been living on a deserted island for 10 years, and he looked exactly like I remember, I'd at least wonder why.
    In any event, it detracts from the realism of the scene. It could easily have been avoided had RJ offered an explanation for his appearance, or had him show up at his normal age with his green lightsaber.

I don't know. Why does the White House need hundreds of secret service agents and other security when it is in the middle of the country, in one of the most heavily patrolled airspace on the planet? Because there is no such thing as too much security, and you'd think someone like Kylo, who wouldn't be alive if his father had not sprung his mother from a heavily fortified base, would be aware of this.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Kylo could have just assumed Luke had made a new lightsaber that was similar to his first, like how Vader builds a lightsaber that looks a lot like his first lightsaber (the one he loses in AOTC).
    As for Luke not aging - it's only been five or six years. People don't necessarily age that much in half a decade. And Kylo doesn't know under what conditions Luke has been spending his time.

I would have prefered Luke to use his green saber there though, but that's beside the point.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    rorow1 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  10. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    Kylo's first line in any star wars movie was "Look how old you've become."

I imagine Luke not aging was a play on that, i'm not sure, but thats how I took it.

11. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Nice catch. Kylo fears Luke in this form, as it is how he looked the last time they faced each other. Much like how the ghosts of Anakin, Yoda and Obi Wan appear as how they appeared the last time they saw each other in life.

Blobofat and Vicarious Fan like this.
  12. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    Not sure the name of the device, but it was the whole reason Finn and Rose went to Canto Bight to find a slicer, get on the FO destroyer and turn it off. Which wasn't even needed in the first place.

13. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    In which case, why was it Poe's fault? If your way to rationalise this is correct, then with the bombers already committed to the attack the plot hole is why Leia would order the fighters back and leave the bombers on their own.

14. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Leia did not order the fighters back after they committed to the bombing attack.

If Poe returned to the Raddus when Leias told him to do so, the whole attack would have been aborted.

The attack was a second plan in case they did not have time to evacuate everybody on time. But they were able to evacuate the base, and therefore the attack could have been aborted completely, except that Poe did not obey.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Starkiller17 likes this.
  15. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    It doesn't explain how this didn't happen:

Leia: You did it Poe, get back here
    Poe: No! Dreadnought blah blah
    Leia: Ackbar, call back the bombers

16. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    It does if you think of it as this: Yoda, Obi Wan appear to Luke looking as they did when he last saw them alive. Anakin appeared before yoda and obi wan as he looked when they last knew him. Same here that Kylo saw Luke as he appeared the last time they met.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  17. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Why would Leia need Ackbar to call back the bombers? She is superior to him, and she was talking directly to the Commander of the whole fleet.

Remembers me of this:

"There goes another one"
    "Hold your fire, there are no life forms, must've short circuited"
    "Shoot it down anyway"

Directed by George Lucas.

18. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Just for reference sake, what is the consensus definition of "plot hole" in this thread?

19. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    I am here since page 1 and there was never a consensus at all, from the definition of what a plot hole is, to if there are actually any of them.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    The Raddinator and Satipo like this.
  20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    So for example, when the Supremacy neglects to launch it's TIE fighter squadrons, which seems to contradict Imperial/Star Destroyer tactics throughout SW, does that constitute a plot hole?

21. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    The space battling in TLJ makes no sense.

The Dreadnaught needs to launch fighters because the guns of a capital ship are ineffective against fighters but then fighters are ineffective against the rebel capital ship.

22. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I thought it was a bit of a typical rebel "we're with you, Poe; let's stick it to them" moment.

23. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Interestingly, in the "lighting the spark" featurette, you get an alternate line from the Holdo / Poe scene when Dern and Oscar are rehearsing. Holdo says something along the lines of - people like you so you're used to getting your own way - and I think that's the underlying vibe - Poe is charismatic and heroic - and people will follow him because of that - but it doesn't always mean he's right.

24. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    The audience have no real knowledge one way or the other as we're not presented with the schematics of that ship to see whether or not that is the case. If they imply that the rebel cruiser is able to take out their fighters then we have to accept that.

It's the same with quite a few space related issues I've seen with this film. We don't really understand their tech (eg. whether or not laser blasts dissipate in space once fired hence the talk about them being out of range) so we can only go with what they say.

Tbh it bothers me more when Obi Wan mentions that the tie fighter is "too far out of range" in ANH even though it only appears to be 100 metres in front of the falcon. But I say 'bothers' in the very slightest way. It doesn't really bug me. Sometimes you've just got to sit back and go with the flow :)

25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    This. For me, if the film addresses something then I think it's bonkers to act like they're lying to us somehow. I do appreciate that everyone has different levels of tolerance for this though. But for me, the film makes it clear that Hux and the FO believe that the Resistance have nowhere to go and that all they have to do is hound the fleeing rebels to their inevitable doom. Yes, you can wonder if they might have chosen a different approach, but we know why they don't. Same with Luke telling us that when he looked into Kylo's heart/ mind - whether Kylo is ultimately redeemable is beside the point - in that moment, Luke tells us what he believed. The writer gives us these pieces of info and insight for a reason.

Ricardo Funes and The Raddinator like this.