main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plot Holes In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Starting with 1977 we establish that you can picking up the force without even watching a skill once. Unless you can point me to the scenes that show Old Ben demonstrating blocking blaster bolts whilst blind or using the force to make a one in a million shot that even a targeting computer and the best veteran Rebel pilot can't make. There's nothing illogical about it. Just your made-up rules. But don't let that stop you.

2. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    Within the course of around two days Rey is able to go from not believing in the force to having the powers of a Jedi Master. In contrast Luke was barely able to deflect some training lasers at first then years later struggled to pull a lightsaber to himself.

Blastaar and 11-4D like this.
  3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Where did this happen in 1977? Not in ANH.

The rules are those "made-up" by Lucas and demonstrated through story, character and plot and developed and progressed throughout the saga.

These are actually present in the ST through Ben Solo who was already known to have the Skywalker blood and spent years training under Luke then Snoke and after how many years he is rather easily overtaken by someone in 3 days who has no real learned belief in the Force or understanding.

So clearly the story is telling us that since Rey's family origin and history has no meaning and training is irrelevant then we are left with her being a physical manifestation of the Force the likes of which we've never seen. She simply exists and does as the Force requires her to. The Force needed the Jedi to continue so it created a being with the spirit of a Jedi who was made to order.

I don't see after two movies what other explanation there is at this point. I expect that we will find out about Rey's creation by the Force in IX.

After TFA Rey could be a "random" as it were but now after TLJ she's clearly a very directed and purposeful creation of the Force in some way.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Darthman92 and Blastaar like this.
  4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Unless I am mistaken, this thread is for TLJ, not TFA.

We already had too many threads for TFA to complain about how Rey is able to use the Force.

So, for TLJ it is a reality that Rey can do many things in the Force without training.

So, in TLJ, Rey's usage of the Force is not a plot hole.

5. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    @Ricardo Funes
    And yet you had no problem with the reference to 1977 and ANH.

6. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Yes, I did. But I did not put it in here as it was mentioned after the original references to TFA. If the references to TFA never happened, there would be no reference for ANH.

7. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Actually, I see you "liked" the 1977 post which came BEFORE the TFA reference.

8. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    The first mention of how did Rey instantly know how to do Force stuff came in the last page.

And I am free to like any posts, for any reason.

You cannot know the reason I liked that post. And doxxing is not allowed here, as you for sure know.

9. BloodStripe

BloodStripe Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 16, 1999
    A "master" now, is she? Whoa. Talk about power creep. When she's pulling the kind of stunts that Luke and Snoke do in TLJ, we can start tossing that word around. Until then, she has Luke circa ESB's skill set, at best.

10. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Looking up at the page is doxxing? At least accuse me of mini-modding a mini-modder.

Just let people talk about the movie. That's what they were doing. Stop trying to shut down relevant conversation.

11. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Please see the OP. The relevant conversation for this thread is identification of plot holes in TLJ.

TK327, CEB, Satipo and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Exactly. And @Ricardo Funes went off topic. Referencing previous SW movies is relevant to plot holes as the previous SW movies have created a galaxy that TLJ walked into.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Everyone needs to stay on topic and stop trying to moderate (or discuss) other posters.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  14. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Why didn't Kylo (and the troops) just proceed to the bunker after realizing that Luke was a projection?

15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    they did. There's a few cuts to different locations after Luke disappears. It's to be assumed.

16. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Kylo and FO troops entered the bunker, but at the same time the surviving members of the Resistance were boarding the Falcon and escaping.

themoth likes this.
  17. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    Luke and Snoke are far above the average Jedi Master.

In ANH Jedi Master Obi Wan's most impressive force feat is the Mind trick which Rey is able to perform hours after learning the force is real. It took Luke several in universe years and until his third movie to do it and he's supposed to be some type of force prodigy.

18. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I don't think its a good idea to disregard the 8th film in a saga when waving away the simple fact that rey is being displayed as the most powerful force user seen on screen while having literally no training. Daisy ridley is very likeable, but i don't see why this criticism of rey is met with so much opposition. Could we agree that seeing a hero struggle and overcome weaknesses such as negative character traits, physical short comings and mistakes as a result of immaturity, make their journey more rich and rewarding? Anakin skywalker, the "chosen one" is shown struggling throughout the PT, even losing all 4 of his original limbs by trilogy's end. Rey is classified as a jedi by the end of TLJ. A month earlier she was a scavenger on jakku, now she's a full fledged jedi who is likely supposed to train other force users. Has rey learned how she relates to the force? Has she learned how to see it as an extension of herself? Has she learned how to remain emotionally centered in order to make use of clairvoyance? Has she had a test where she resists the temptation of the darkside? Has she over come any sort of physical, mental, or spiritual trials?
    Why is she deemed "the last jedi" by the end of the film? Her final interaction with her would be teacher was to attack him. After she left luke in the rain, she never saw him alive again, yet....she's a jedi.

A wealth of actual character development is completely missing to the point where people have expressed that they still have no idea as to what her motivations are. Why does rey want to be a jedi? Why does she put faith in kylo ren instead of herself? What does rey want for herself? These are basic questions about her character that have yet to be answered in a way that isn't vague to the point of being a non answer.

EDIT: In short, rey being "the last jedi" is a giant gaping plot hole.

In ESB luke is shown having to focus down and center himself just to call his saber to him. This is while he's in a dire life and death situation. This is before he's had any training. During his fight with vader, you see luke call the saber to him as if its natural. This is after he's had training. This is one of the many ways he's shown to have grown since the start of the film. Rey, with no training calls the saber to her as if its natural during her fight with luke. By the end of the film she is effortlessly floating several tons worth of boulders even though she's had no training. This is a feat luke was never shown doing in the OT. The only character displaying anything close to that level of affinity was a 900 year old jedi master. Rey does this with no training. Rey is not equal to ESB luke. Rey is beyond even ROTJ luke at this point....with no training.

19. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    @Blaastar
    It would almost be the equivalent to if the following happened in RotJ
    Luke is hiding from Vader. Vader brings up sister Leia. Luke collapses to the ground (uses the force for a soft landing) then Leia pops out from another dark corner "Noooooo!" and proceeds to beat Vader to the ground. Why not? He told her she has the force. That's all you need. How did she get there? The force.

Hint: "The force" is not an answer to force related plot holes.

20. BloodStripe

BloodStripe Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 16, 1999
    Those are some...interesting interpretations of the text you have there. I'll bow out now, and let you enjoy them.

21. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Obi Wan's most impressive force feat is the mind trick??? You're sure it wasn't the part where he evades death and becomes a freaking ghost?

Not to mention that fact that ANH wasn't exactly a stage for Obi Wan to perform all of his force powers for the audiences entertainment.

TK327 and Satipo like this.
  22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Also, being a master - or even a true Jedi Knight - is perhaps less about force power levels and more about leading a certain way of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I thought OB1's greatest force ability was to look you dead in the eye and lie straight to your face. Oh yeah. Jedi Mind Trick. You were right.

Psst. Ep9 is going to reveal that he lied about Leia being Luke's sister. TWIST. Ben isn't even a Skywalker, but Rey is.

Note to JJ: Do It

24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Three times are not enough to properly remember every line.
    Anyway, if I recall, Finn said that it was impossible that the FO managed to track them in hyperspace when Leia noticed it. However, later he explains to Rose that he's familiar with that stuff because of his past as a Stormtrooper.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  25. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    And the easy layup.