main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plot Holes In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm not suggesting that he lied. I'm suggesting that he was wrong. He was giving himself credit for something that didn't actually require his input. He was arrogant.

That's why I mentioned his death just a few seconds later. He thought he could see what Kylo was going to do, but he actually couldn't.

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

They don't even need fuel to keep flying, and spaceships don't lose speed when they run out of fuel. I don't hold SW to a lot of science, but this was bad.

And all the FO had to do was Hyperspace in front of the Resistance...

3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

Yora likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The First Order not bothering to send a company of Star Destroyers ahead of the Rebels in order to end this with immediacy is from the same tactical handbook which caused a planet-destroying superlaser to suffer a 30 minute delay due to being obstructed by a planet.

5. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    He was arrogant, but arrogance can also explain why he got carried away with the drama going on in front of him, never considering that Kylo would turn on him and then get shish ke babed.

6. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    The FO ships have FTL. They can zip past the Resistance ship in a second and be ahead of them and blast them to bits or send 100 TIE fighters right into their faces.

7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    WTF is FTL? I'm telling you what the film provides as the explanation. Hux doesn't think he needs to do either of those things because (character/ theme!) he's blinded his own hubris. If it wasn't for Holdo's plan, he didn't need to do either of those things. He has them at the end of a piece of string, and the entire opening sequence is setting up his hubris - Canady knows Hux's arrogance and desire to humiliate the Resistance get in the way of his military judgement. Just as he doesn't think Holdo is worth paying to as a threat at the end.

redxavier likes this.
  8. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    Another thing that's been bugging me. Given how easily the First Order bounces back from having what I would've assumed was their main base destroyed in the last film, it really begs the question just how large FO is and what kind of resources they have. If losing the starkiller not only barely affected them but also seems to have somehow helped them because they now know where Resistance base is, how had they not already won this war before the movie even started.

The descripency is just insane. How did this large a force get created without the Republic doing anything? The very basic plot structure of this trilogy just makes absolutely no sense and TLJ can't recover from it becuase it also wastes the things that were set up well in TFA, namely the characters or Rey, Kylo Ren, and Finn.

9. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Regardless there are still multiple FO ships. One can approach from the front. Check how RO handled a Rebel getaway. If Kylo had just boarded the ship instead of flying loops around it he could have also ended it. Its funny but from the trailers I had always assumed Phasma was leading a boarding party in her flight scene and when Poes x-wing is destroyed. I think I would have liked that better and the boarding causing a rapid evacuation to Craite instead of the lead Resistance battle cruiser running out of fuel.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    Sorry, FTL "Faster than light".

If Hux is that blind to basic tactics, and I'm not even in the military, what is he doing so high up in the FO pecking order?

11. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I guess Rey calling Ren a murderous Snake and being drawn to touch his hand in one scene could do with a little perspective. Like Luke unleashing a furious assault on his unrepentant father until he has disarmed him and has the point of his blade inches away from ending his life one moment, then tossing his own weapon away, preferring death to satisfying his righteous fury. Or how about a good Jedi like Anakin Skywalker acknowledging he would very much like to kill the Sith Lord responsible for all the suffering and confilct of the past ten years, then betraying all his friends and murdering children at that Sith Lord's request in one afternoon.

12. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    They were waiting until SKB was completed and until they were ready. This is actually precisely why they're winning now.

How they grew so large is due to complacency on the part of the republic, hence why Leia is operating on her own as part of a Resistance, but it's also because the Republic ultimately were peaceful.

Vohnkar and Satipo like this.
  13. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Then you need only know Hux’s hubris as the answer. His arrogance is the problem, not necessarily strategy.

14. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    But that's not an answer. How'd he get to be Snoke's right hand guy when he can't outthink a poster on The Force.Net website?

Force Smuggler and MS1 like this.
  15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Because character trumps TFn nerds. This is why you guys are not creating the next SW stories.

It’s honestly the least interesting thing in the movie and if you don’t but it’s that’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Suggesting there is a positive having Hux in the movie as presented is subjective. This nerd thinks it would be a better movie without him and I certainly don't think he is a beacon of good decisions in moviemaking.

17. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017

Are you joking? The "chase" in space was the BIGGEST plotline in the movie and thus was really important and should have made sense.

18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I’m not saying you have to like the character. I’m saying his hubris is part of what the film is trying to say. If you want to count that as a plot hole, fine.

19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It does make sense. And no that’s not the biggest plot line in the movie. If you can’t buy the logic of it, fine. I’m not going to waste any more time arguing over space fuel or whether Snoke was right to promote Hux. I’m saying whether Snoke should have promoted Hux is not interesting in the movie.

20. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017

"Arrogance" is not 'making sense' and thus has no logic to it. Yes, it was the biggest plotline, because it's about the survivability of the Resistance.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  21. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002

Yes FO ships can go FTL BUT not in such a small area of space. FTL is designed for interstellar travel not tiny hops. Even if they jumped for half a second they'd have overshot the Resistance ships and find themselves even further away. That's my take anyway!

redxavier and Satipo like this.
  22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Ugh. Look. He thinks he has them right where he wants them and that they have no escape. His hubris blinds him. It’s literally one of the themes of the film. If you would rather he jumped ahead and obliterated them, fine.

my kind of scum likes this.
  23. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Have we ever seen a mini-hyperspace jump? This isn't Star Trek.

Dewback likes this.
  24. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017

Why do we have to see one? It makes perfect sense. All they need is a course. They can plot a course very close, it doesn't have to be over vast distances.

IgnusDei likes this.
  25. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    Double post.

26. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013

Is that explained anywhere in the films? The Republic as an entity is barely mentioned and it is not explained at all that the peaceful Republic allowed this group to fester or anything to the like. In TFA opening scroll it's actually somehow implied that it is the abscene of Luke that has caused the First Order to rise, although they don't go any farther in explaining how that might be the case.