main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plot Holes In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Finn knowing about the tracking system on snokes ship despite earlier claiming hyperspace tracking was impossible?

2. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    No. Finn does say it's impossible but once they establish that it is possible, Finn tells Rose how they will be able to disable it as the fundamentals would be similar. Meaning breakers etc, that Finn and Rose would know how to disable.

3. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Oh so the room on the ship was a power circuit, not the specific tech? That makes more sense I suppose.

TK327 and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  4. Starkiller17

Jul 6, 2010
    Yes as far as I remember. It has been awhile since I've seen it but I think they were breaking into the breaker room. If the tech was behind that door, I don't think that would make too much of difference since they can shut it down from there anyways.

5. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I think the simplest way to define a plot hole is just something that's explicitly contradictory. Like if Rey says something to the effect of "I can't use the MF turrets because my hands are too small to reach the triggers.", but then later we see her smoking fools with the MF turret. That would be a plot hole.

6. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah, more the issue of Finn thinking something is impossible when he's mopping up next to it.

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    He doesn't know they have that technology.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. Starkiller17

Jul 6, 2010
    There's a thing in the military called "need to know." It's entirey possible that he was cleaning the floors but had no idea what was actually there.

9. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    If he doesn't know anything's there then how does he know things are there that they need to hack into?

10. Starkiller17

Jul 6, 2010
    He knew the breakers are there that control the tracker, not necessarily that the tracker is there.

If someone could clarify if the tracker was in the room or just the breakers we might have some more clarification. Like I said it has been a while since I've seen it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  11. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Hm, do you see where the issues come in? How can he know the power supply there controls something he didn't even know exist? Unless it's the power switch for the entire ship which seems a bit contrived.

12. Starkiller17

Jul 6, 2010
    Yeah I get what you are saying. I'm hoping someone who has seen the film more recently than myself can jump in here with some details.

Xander Vos likes this.
  13. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Active tracking is a class-A process which requires a dedicated breaker. Finn knows where the breaker room is. Finn and Rose are operating on the assumption that this new tracking is just a variation of active tracking.

Ricardo Funes and Starkiller17 like this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    He knows how standard trackers work and he's applying it to this new type of tracker.

Isn't this explained when he's on the trolley?

Ricardo Funes and Starkiller17 like this.
  15. Starkiller17

Jul 6, 2010
    Yup. Finn says it would need a dedicated breaker and he knows where the breakers are.

16. Starkiller17

Jul 6, 2010
    ROSE: Active tracking..

FINN: What now?

ROSE: Hyperspace tracking is new tech, but the principle must be the same as any active tracker..

ROSE & FINN: so they're only tracking us from the lead ship!

ROSE: But, we cant get to the tracker, it's an A class process, they'll control it from the main bridge..

FINN: Yeah, but every A class process..

ROSE & FINN: has a dedicated power breaker.

ROSE: But, who knows where the breaker room is in the star destroyer?

FINN: The guy who used to mop it. If I can get us there...

ROSE: I can shut their tracker down.

The conversation between Finn and Rose.

My apologies. Forgot to add this to an edit on my previous post.

Ricardo Funes and Xander Vos like this.
  17. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    When does Finn learn to pilot a ship? Didn't he need Poe because he was a pilot?

18. Starkiller17

Jul 6, 2010
    He wasn't piloting a ship. He was piloting a speeder. And poorly I might add.

19. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    How does he know anything about it if he thought it impossible? Where does this notion of a class-A process come from?

20. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Brilliant! Thank you. That does clear it up.

Starkiller17 and zackm like this.
  21. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    A couple points on ‘Turret-gate’.

1 In ANH, when the TIEs attack, the Falcon basically seems like it’s a sitting duck in a shooting gallery. There’s no evidence at all that it’s dodging and swerving to avoid the attack. With no evidence of evasive maneuvers, it appears that it’s entirely up to the gunners to save the day. Their job looks really tough in this scenario. In ESB, the Falcon does incredible feats of acrobatics to avoid the TIEs. And no one even bothers to get in the turrets! A plot hole? No. The writers wanted to show the TIEs being taken out, asteroid billiards style. It was an artistic choice.

2. In TFA Rey is flying very erratically, especially at first, which doesn’t make it easy for Finn, but he still gets a TIE before the turret jams. He then takes out the second TIE when Rey flips the Falcon. Real teamwork, in this case, but Finn is two for two.

3. In TLJ, Chewie shows himself to be a flying ace that rivals his old co-pilot. He’s lining up shots for Rey, which is especially evident when the first three TIEs are taken out. Given that Rey has the Force, has indicated that she was at least familiar with what the turrets are in TFA, and Chewie’s flying like a boss, her performance seems completely reasonable. Altogether a very different dynamic than what we saw in ANH and ESB. Now we’ve put it all together—evasive manouvers by a highly skilled pilot, very competent gunner and the use of the environment to take out enemies. Once again, an artistic choice, not a plot hole.

Basically, the Falcon and her crew do what the writer wants, and it’s never been consistent from day one.

22. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    And that's a very fair point.

Starkiller17 and TK327 like this.
  23. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Still managed to outlast more skilled pilots. ;) let's chalk that one up as plot Armour though.

24. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    He was piloting the shuttle, IIRC.

25. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Really?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk