main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plot Holes In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm not even sure you do need to see Phasma use the staff before she does. The fact she uses it is enough. We don't need to see her use her side-arm before to buy that she pulls that on Rose. Honestly, no one was rasing this issue. It does fall into melee weapon preferred over gun because hand to hand is often cooler territory, but I don't see why this fight should be exempt from deploying that pretty satisfying trope. This isn't close to being a plot hole, it's people who don't like the film poring over the film for reasons they can hold up as proof the film is bad. Which, IMO, is no way to approach watching or enjoying a film. The only reason anyone is attempting to come up with a "solution" for this issue is to answer what is IMO a fairly niche criticism.

And the kind of exposition being suggested as a way around it is exactly the first kind of thing that would be cut - probably at the script stage, never mind the editing stage. TPTB correctly determined that the vast majority of viewers would not have an issue with this action in the film. It's always a balancing act keeping up drama and pacing and giving the audience enough to follow. If TPTB put in every clarification some here want, the film would grind to a halt every five minutes.

I'm not saying some more clarity in certain places might not have dialled back a couple of issues (why the FO couldn't jump ahead to cut off the Resistance perhaps) but this Phasma/ staff issue feels like it would be way, way down on the list.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Huge plot hole for me -- was not getting the barbecued porg's back story.

I mean his/her friends are in mourning but why? How could rian Johnson leave that wide open. And it's assumed the porg was killed by chewbacca but it's pure character assassination to show chewbacca as a barbaric beast who will kill and destroy porg lives.

Now we'll never know how the porg died

3. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Despite your opinions stated as facts and your attempts to dissect the motivations of others, I think this scene was shallow and character-devoid, as well as itself being a big unsatisfying plot hole in the middle of the climax. It’s exists because it looks cool, never mind that it makes no sense in the sequence of events or in terms of the characters.

1. Plasma orders the beheading of Finn and Rose, who are held in the middle of scores of STs.
    2. Explosion somehow puts Finn and Rose only on the other side of the room as totally uninjured Phasma and STs approach to apprehend, like all of their biggest priority right now is those two magically disappearing and reappearing Resistance infiltrators and not the exploded ship they live on.
    3. Phasma has a blaster and shoots it.
    4. Off screen, something happens to her blaster, it’s just gone. She pulls out a staff to fight Finn.
    5. Random turret appears to keep Rose back, but not Finn, because in the middle of all this chaos, fight! It’s cool and personal for one traitor, who has so much pride she didn’t care about even trying not to lower SKB’s shields, to fight another!!
    6. Phasma discovers new blaster off screen. Shoots it.

4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    This thread is useless. Haters are going to pick every single thing in order to try to make a plot hole.

Now even a melee weapon, which has a backstory in canon btw, is a plot hole.

Why not just stop this madness, mods? This thread is a joke.

5. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I always thought the purpose of plot hole threads was to ask questions about things which are missing or strange and have fellow fans help fill in the blanks.

If they can't a plot hole is uncovered.

Is the existence of a plot hole a reason to close a thread devoted to discussing plot holes?

6. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Exactly. Don't question anything. It doesn't have to make sense. Just watch and look at how cool everything is. Look at how awesome Phasma is. Look at the fire and destruction all around. Cool, right? But make sure not to think! Just watch.

People are entitled to like this stuff if they want, but be truthful and acknowledge the ridiculousness of this writing.

Blastaar and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  7. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    What if the reason of life and existence is a plot hole of a plot hole? And we live in an unending thread of plot holes?

Honestly tho -- some individuals just aren't happy with the film and will nitpick supreme and call everything awful or a plot hole. It's like hating the Olive Garden and you go with a group and you hate everything -- the water tastes funny, the staff is slow, the salad is bad, the food or frozen and processed, it's a chain, Olive Garden is evil. And it gets old and eventually you just ignore the noise those people make.

Ignore the noise.

Now back to a real plot hole -- I guess if I had to think of one it would be BB9E. He knew something was up seeing BB8 whiz about in a trash can and had his eye on him. Yet BB8 makes it to the hangar bay to commandeer an ATST.
    I feel like I'm missing something. A bb8 and Bbhate throw down that should be a deleted scene. Something akin to that verizon commercial.

8. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    BB9E seemed like a missed opportunity for sure. He's there for the ambush of Finn and Rose, but what caught his suspicion in the first place was BB8 which seems to be a bit clunky.

Seems something got lost in tying everything that happened into DJ's betrayal, somehow?

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  9. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I agree. I think rian Johnson said there were deleted scenes regarding Finn rose and DJ but I think that's more about they're sneaking around on the supremacy than getting caught. I get that the story was picking up and that would've slowed it down but still. If you have 2 hours and 32 minutes -- it could've gone a little longer. I would still have paid for 7 viewings of a 2 hour and 45 minute film. Or 3 hours. Ok so id watch Star Wars for hours.

ImpreciseStormtrooper likes this.
  10. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    So please send our way better questions, not nitpicks.

We wasted pages talking about mundane things like why Phasma wanted to use a melee weapon, when she clearly had already mention she wanted to make Finn suffer.

What we are enduring here are a few unhappy fans picking every single thing and throwing it on the wall to see if it sticks.

After dozens of pages, every reasonable question was already asked and answered. All we have for the last 10 pages are nitpicks.

We want to discuss any possible plot holes, not nitpicks.

Cantina Regular likes this.
  11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think there is a cut scene of that. Whether or not it ends up on the Blu or not I have no idea.

As with all these things that are shot but don't make the cut, the editors and the director have a much better grasp of how it's all working as a whole.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    DarthHass likes this.
  12. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    BB-8 escaped.

The movie chose to not show that and keep his reveal in the hangar bay as a surprise moment.

That does not break logic in any way. We can safely assume he escaped.

13. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    You’re not “enduring” anything by people sharing opinions on a public forum you disagree with. Threads here don’t exist for people to throw questions your way that you approve of as more than nitpicks. If you disagree with something, cool, good for you, just like if others disagree with you, cool, good for them.

I don’t know who this illusive “we” is that you’re referring to, but the thing is, you can discuss what you consider to be plot holes with whoever you want. You can ignore posts that you feel force you to endure something unpleasant. Your “we” aren’t the referees of what other people are allowed to think and post.

Even if things are nitpicks, so what? Are you the decider of what makes something worthy of discussion, including nitpicks? Spoiler alert - you’re not. This forum exists to discuss basically a handful of two hour movies, and manages to maintain discussions for years. People are going to discuss minor things in the movies. Obviously.

14. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    POST #1:

"To be clear, I'm not looking for complaints about dialog, or writing, or character portrayal. I'm not actually looking for complaints at all. I just want to have a discussion about any plot points that are contradictory or problematic in some way."

This is all we are getting. We, the people who are here to talk about what the title says ("Plot Holes"), the people who read the first post to know what are we supposed to discuss here, and would rather prefer to do that instead of watching a few users renting this space for nitpicks and complaints about character portrayal.

"OMG Phasma is using a baton !!! PLOT HOLE".
    "OMG Rey can fire the canons in the MF !!! PLOT HOLE".

Pages and pages of this.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Play nice, everyone.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  16. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Really you want to discuss the movie? It seems that you’re more interested in discussing posters and their ridiculous opinions on what constitutes a plot hole. Btw, the definition of plot hole boils down to something that contradicts the logic of the movie. When you’re talking about logic, that will always always be subjective, and your opinion on what qualifies isn’t gospel. People actually can post their own opinions without regard to what you think.

17. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I actually feel that in this thread that each poster is defining plot hole to fit their own logic and reasoning in a never ending p****** contest.

Everyone should just read each others' opinion and respond nicely and professionally. And judge said opinions behind their backs in private off the forums like everyone else. Or judge silently like I do.

And I'm still stuck on my bb9e plot hole from yesterday. I don't remember if I posted it here

18. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    BB-9E helped the FO to get Finn/Rose. BB-8 escaped.

19. Nadroj ilain

Nadroj ilain Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    Ok. Just to remind everyone the original point that brought us to the spear is the fact that captain phasma had a gun and didnt use it; instead opting for her spear.

The arguments brought up were that the spear is mentioned as important to her in the phasma comics.

This wasnt mentioned in the movie. The added exposition was suggested so that viewers would know why she chose the spear and didnt just kill him.

20. Nadroj ilain

Nadroj ilain Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    Sorry should have read rest of the thread first..thought i was caught up until the page reloaded

21. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    story conveniences don't equel plot holes....can't this thread be renamed differently so we don't have to argue over a defintion[face_laugh]? there's no plot hole in the movie, and there's rarely real proper plot holes in any movie i can think of (can anyone think of one?) only strange/stupid characters decisions, story conveniences, offscreen stuff or deus machina...this happens in most films and are more or less tolerable depending on the genre of the movie and the way the story is told.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Ricardo Funes likes this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    They never explained why that one dude hated salt. Movie ruined!

23. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I can’t help but laugh when someone on this thread questions a character’s logic.

Like none of us have ever made an irrational decision in life.

Hindsight 20/20

Lost_Hope likes this.
  24. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    It's more about logical progression.

11-4D and Tosche_Station like this.
  25. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    But at the same time it isn’t. Phasma fighting Finn hand to hand doesn’t go against her character. She wants to make Finn (her greatest failure) suffer so when he breaks out the baton she meets with her spear so she can beat him down, humiliate him, and kill him painfully in a battle that he chose. Rose pulls a gun so Phasma pulls a gun on her. She lets her adversary choose the field. The only illogical thing she does in that scene is fire on an AT-ST with a small blaster.

rorow1 likes this.