main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plot Holes In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    He didn't leave a map. They had to do some significant work to figure out where it was, and only one man knew.

Not a plot hole.

2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    He's the new leader of the FO. There. "Plot hole" filled.

And yes, re the map - Luke never left it.

3. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    @Felicia Luke didn't leave a map. San Tekka found the bit of the map during his adventures, and the rest of the map was in the archive of the empire -useless because they lacked that missing bit -.(we can asume Palpatine wanted to find the place but never could)

Killing the main villain without an explanation might be a let down, but it's not a plot hole. You mighnot like it storywise but people can die without tellling you who they are. no illogical causal problems here.

You thought the PT had a good story and TLJ not. And it's fine. Some of us find the absolute contrary....this is all very subjective

@Blastaar can you at least tell us on which page is it? i don't know who is right or wrong, the movie won't be out before april in my country :'( :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    Didn't the VD for TFA say Luke left a portion of the map with Lor? Does the VD count as canon?

5. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    @The PiedPiper of Alderaan I will not be giving Disney my money for this DVD.

@The PiedPiper of Alderaan Alright Ill give you that he may not have given it to him directly but he DOES know Luke Skywalker and according to the Force Awakens Visual Dictionary he not only knew Luke but he helped him find lost Jedi Artifacts and Jedi knowledge. The Church of the Force existed as an underground movement during the Age of the Empire, when the Jedi Knights were hunted to near-extinction and worship in the supernatural was a violation of Imperial law. One member of the faith was Lor San Tekka, an explorer who did not believe the lies that the Empire told about the so-called Jedi betrayal of the Galactic Republic. He spent years finding history of the Jedi that the Empire had to tried to suppress, and eventually helped Luke Skywalker, the last Jedi, in his own search for Jedi lore. After Skywalker vanished following the massacre of his new generation of Jedi, San Tekka held a fragment of a map that showed where Skywalker had gone into exile. Believing that the Jedi had to return in order for there to be balance in the Force, San Tekka gave the map fragment to the Resistance before he was killed by Kylo Ren—Skywalker's nephew, and the man who killed the new Jedi. His death was not for nothing, however, as Skywalker was located by a young Force-sensitive woman named Rey.

@DarthPhilosopher It is not a plot hole but I added that to show my disdain for the sloppy writing of Rian Johnson killing off a villan who was built up to be something and to spite the people who actually spend money on Star Wars memorabilia and products outside of the films they make him irrelevant by having Kylo Ren say "Let go of the Old. Kill it if you have to." Basically in that one line saying that Snoke is irrelevant. Why should I care about him now? Why should I spend money on anything related to Snoke hes old and useless according to Kylo Ren and not worth knowing his back story so Disney will not get my money for any Snoke book they release.

@Satipo It was implied that Luke left it with him in the Force Awakens for all we know Tekka could have given the map to Luke but we will never know because everything in TFA was erased by Rian Johnson.

6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    No it wasn't implied, that was just your assumption.

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This isn't the thread for that.

8. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    Point taken. I will stay on track.

@DarthPhilosopher Its not really assumption they never confirm nor deny how he got it. As I said though he clearly knows Luke Skywalker and he had some idea of where Luke was going because Tekka knew that he went to search for the Last Jedi Temple. He actually states that in the first scenes of TFA. So this is actually a plot hole.

9. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    What shortcoming?

Eighteen hours in our chase could equal 2 or 3 days on Ach-To. We don’t know how often Ach-To rotates. Not that SW is into scientific accuracy.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  10. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I don’t remember it being established that he knew. It was deduced that he would seek the temple for its own sake because no complete map to show its location was known to exist making it seemingly the hardest place to find someone who didn't want to be found.

It is depicted as a collective need to find Luke brought Tekka to make contact with the resistance in order to provide them with what he thought was a map. It also drew Kylo and the FO to him but Kylo knew that it was not a map and that it was actually a fragment that went with a piece found only in the Empire archive. He thought.

11. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    They never confirm or deny it therefore it is an assumption.

It's plainly not a plot hole.

12. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    @Martoto77 In the first scene of TFA when he is sitting with Poe before Kylo Ren arrives he says that "Legend has it he went looking for the first Jedi Temple. This seems to be common knowledge as Han Solo also knew Luke went looking for the First Jedi Temple. So when Luke says he went to the "most unfindable place" in TLJ they must have forgotten that it seemed to be common knowledge he went looking for it they just didn't know where it was. Hence this map with the missing piece that perhaps Luke removed from the map himself but still somehow R2-D2 had the missing fragment in his data banks. Just that one missing piece. Coincidence? How did he get it?

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    No he didn't?

14. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I don’t think any unresolved question is necessarily a plot hole.

Now, having said that I have 3 questions. I’m sorry my search internal and external to TFN hasn’t lead me to the answers.

1. How is it that Poe is the connection to Maz?

2. How come Luke seems overweight on what appears to be on a diet that is both low carbohydrate and low fat?

Felicia likes this.
  15. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I don't remember. As I said, most folk trying to talk me down on it, just strawmanned, so i moved on.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  16. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    you don't remember this one? He first got the order and timeline wrong then he resorted back to "It was raining and then when she leaves it was dry so it must have been 24 hours" as his excuse for the time not lining up even though several people explained to him how it did.

I mentioned how on an island made of pours rocks the rain wouldn't gather and used Florida as an example of how an hour after it rains all the puddles are gone but he got angry and stormed off.

Here you go its around pages 70-73

here is his original statement

17. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    Which was said by Kylo.... the villian... who is proven wrong.... and then Rey saves the Jedi Order.... so..... yeah

Not to mention the same thing could be said about Darth Maul or Count Duko both of which were built up and then killed very quickly

18. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    Now you're just lying. First, you tried to tell me that finn and rose don't leave the rebel fleet until the start of the third act. (All while attempting to talk me down on the subject of the timeline plot hole.) Then after I pointed out how the weather is also an indicator of how much time has passed, you tried to tell me that in tropical climates, evidence of a torrential downpour will disappear in an hour or so. Keep in mind, you did this with a snarky comment saying that i "must not have ever been in a tropical climate.". I then told you that i grew up in south florida. I dunno when i stormed off, but who knows. The reason you were trying to use this weak argument is because the storm that rey stood in took place the day before she left achtoo. You had to place this storm on the same day or else you'd have to acknowledge that she was indeed, there longer than 18 hours after the deadline is set. So, we got arguments like, "time passes differently on achtoo." and "Rain will dry completely from bare rocks in an hour or so." (keep in mind that luke's clothes and the lack of vegetation will tell you that the island didn't have tropical weather.) After these fell flat, we moved on to "oh so you pirated a film you hated lulz!! look guys! he's a pirate!". Now, 30 or so pages later, i'm supposed to oblige the same song and dance? Have fun guys.

Finn's disappearing reappearing knowledge and the achtoo time line are two of the latest plot holes I can remember. Before that, the biggest plot hole I remember was kylo ren's training. If anyone else caught any others, then chime in.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  19. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    if i'm lying please quote me where I am wrong.

here is where you ran away. Also i never said tropical climate.
    edit I think that kind of sums it up. Your summery of what happened makes it seem as if you never fully read my responses but came up with your own interpretation. Like claiming I tried to say it was a tropical climate and then coming up with the whole climate argument.

no one said that. No one said tropical and there was no argument on it being on a tropical island or anything about their being no vegetation.

20. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm not sure I recall anything about a tropical climate, but here's the thing, the island is a big sloped rock. It will dry quickly as most of the water simply runs off. And it doesn't have to happen in an hour. The timeline easily provides room for 6+ hours between the rain and the light-saber training scene. 6 hours of midday sunshine (sunshine from 2 suns) would have that island bone dry. We're at the point now where you're making up your own headcanon to CREATE a plothole, instead of the standard method of using headcanon to resolve a plothole. It's pretty bizarre, honestly.

21. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    just did a search of the thread looking for Climate or Tropical. This is the first time anyone mentioned those things.

22. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Do you think that green milk was low fat?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

23. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Ah, thanks for reminding me.

shafty likes this.
  24. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015

the mountain and greenery would not be completely bone dry if it rained an hour or two ago. Thats just not how that sort of thing works.

25. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016