main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Plotless and Drab, does Rogue Leader need a sequel?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I was playing RL this afternoon, and after heavily exhausting the games heavy range of levels time after time, I came to, finally realizing that RL is Bleak, It might have the graphical prowess of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, but similarly, it has no plot whatsoever.
    (I tell a lie, Fantasy did have a plot, but you had to look incredibly hard to see it).

And one thing I wanted to know, why did you immediately skip to Bespin from the Tyderium mission, without any reason or explanation. Was it just because Factor 5 wanted to add a cool looking Cloud City level so that all the 4 year olds could say 'Wow! Look at that! It's Cloud City! JUST LEIK IN THE MOVIE!'

Rogue Squad, the prequel, was good because it was mission based, tick followed tock followed tick and the whole game span around a basis, with Moff Seerdon and all that and that woman who defects, becoming your winglady, the Kessel Levels especially were top class, with rescuing Wedge and then the prisoners, the game itself being ten times longer (with 19 missions instead of 15, based over 3 chapters) and five times harder, not relying on Bonus missions for more appeal (although, it was fun opening the cool Hoth mission in RS, you had to EARN it and back then it was a much better reward than a damn ladder mission).

Either Agree or Disagree, it's true.

Rogue Leader is a simulator, a Star Wars simulator and nothing more, all it does is pull off a load of scenes we've all seen before and giving us the chance to do it differently. Rogue Leader deserves a plot, a new story, a sequel would be the best option. Would'nt take half as long to do either, Factor 5 have already got the engine, models and maps drawn up. Just need some originality thrown in, instead of the odd, extra that has cheesy EU twists and relying so heavily on the Canon universe and movie stuff. RL2 would rock. Playing in the movies was cool, but there was so much more that could have been done.

Call it old fashioned, but IMO RL2 would work.

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    It needs multiplayer.

3. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Good Point.

Duely noted.

4. IHaveLostMyPants

IHaveLostMyPants Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    i agree, multiplayer would be great in RL2, so would more ship choice, can you say E-wing? Z-95? chiss clawcraft, but that wouldnt fit well into the plot unless it was a bonus mission

5. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    There is no plot. [face_plain]

6. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    If they'd be up to adapting some books the RS books would kick ass as games, and if not they could focus the game on Wraith Squadron, a sister squad to RS, one more focused on commando raids in conjunction with actual flying... use the RL engine for the flying levels, and the JO engine for the ground levels. Maybe even switch between them. Well, maybe not, but why not do an Imp-based game with, say, the 181st, or maybe the 128th, with you playing many original missions but also some of the original RS missions, except on the other side?

7. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    The entire series of X-Wing books on rogue squadron were awesome.

8. JediAzrael

JediAzrael Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2002
    I thik the best thing to do would be to play as a new character (could just remain nameless and repressent 'you') so a completely new plot can be made. It would be cool if there were hidden modes accessed from the main one where you fly missions in Naboo N1s and the like in the Prequal era and against the YVs in the NJO era.

Multi player would be a plus aswell, both in melee dogfight free-for-alls and cooprative modes.

It would be cool if there was a secound mode were you were part of one of the Empires key squadrons (181st?) and the plots cross over from time to time, with both being set as part of the same campaign. People who have played Sonic Adventure 2 know what im getting at.

9. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    i hope someone from lucasarts or factor 5 is reading this thread.

10. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    pfft... we should be so lucky.
    LEC-WebJedi retired ages ago.

11. young_zev

young_zev Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 1999
    Oh, I don't know.
    I'm pretty sure people from both places probably troll through these boards occasionally.

BTW, an Imperial "Rogue Leader" game (featuring the 181st, no doubt) would make an EXCELLENT title.

A TIE FIGHTER for the console set!

12. JediAzrael

JediAzrael Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2002
    Prehaps we should all write to LucasArts or something. A proper plot and the chance to play as a member of the 181st in Imperial Craft (TIE Defender please!) would make THE game

13. Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes

Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    I'd like something like RL in all the parts, Prequel, OT (and a few years after) and finally NJO series. And maybe a second CD that would let you do this as the Empire (OT through NJO), and includes multiplayer. If they made that, screw anything else, I'm getting it. Also, like IHaveLostMyPants said, more ships. Also, like the EU, X-Wings and other craft should be able to shred AT-ATs eventually. Like maybe you can have upgrades for the X-Wing, to XJ, XJ2, and finally the NJO XJ3. It would be even cooler to pick your pilot. Maybe in a Sims like style? And you could pick your species, gender, etc., and eventually fly as a Jedi and drop Shadow Bombs. Another thing: I'd like to be able to pick my wingmate's ships, too.

14. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    mp is i really want..........online mp especially, but any would be worth buying a sequal fo ..........and if they won't or can't then port over jedi starfighter, its MP i think

15. tnt

tnt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Apparently Factor Five had to meet strict time constraints to meet the Gamecubes launch date. If they had more time I'm sure they would have been able to add missions or make them larger.

And despite the game being 'completed' one time they still had plenty of disc space, that's why they filled it shots from the movies and that documentary.

16. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    I could not wait to play RL and when I did, from my brother's GC, i was disappointed. I had the first RS and after playing up to the 5th level, i stopped. It was nothing worth buying a GC over. I was glad I got the PS2 when I played it. it's a shame.

17. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    I don't have a Game Cube nor an X-Box but I played Rogue Leader at my friends house and several days later beat it. And I agree, the game it plotless. I want to see a game like TIE Fighter coming out. I'm tired of looking at X-Wing's, Y-Wing's, and so on.

Only problem with the 181st is that they are a TIE Interceptor squadron. But that shouldn't stop them from including TIE Defenders or other ships to that squadron. They do that to the Rogues and they are an X-Wing squadron.

I don't know why LucasArts is not making this game already, they should know people want Imperial fighter games, not ship just hidden ships.

18. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    So the 181st uses TIE Interceptors... so? :D Squints kick ass! And after you beat the mission they could let you play with ALL kinds of TIES... (lemme ramble them off: TIE/ln, TIE/b, TIE/shuttle, TIE/rs, TIE/vanguard, TIE/scout, TIE/d, TIE/defender, TIE/int, TIE/v38, TIE/advanced, TIE/advanced X1... and many more... and of course Lambda shuttles, etc)... THAT would kick serious ass.

19. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    It did need multiplayer.

I would not want to see another Rogue Leader.

20. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Franchises. The is the word of the day.

All of the greats have them.

Final Fantasy
    Madden
    Triple Play
    Star Wars
    Hockey
    Soccer
    NBA Live
    Grand Theft Auto

Now ones that I don't particularly care for:

Tomb Raider
    Metroid
    Super Mario
    Zelda
    Crash Bandicoot
    Sonic

and the list goes on.....I think that you see that games in franchises keep getting better with each one.
    So yes, a RL 2 would be warranted (and needed).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.