main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC pls splain govt to me

Discussion in 'Community' started by hear+soul, Mar 7, 2013.

1. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I got a ticket for an expired license plate- went to court today. The judge waived the fine of $20, but charged me court costs of $62. The pre-pay ticket was $87.

Explain to me, at what point may I simply pay the $20 fine? I would do that in a heart-beat.

I completely understand the court fees: we have to pay all of these people to run our public administration, but why would the pre-pay ticket be so expensive? I believe it is because they want us to go to court, because it makes the gov't money and maintains jobs, and the pre-pay ticket is simply a convenience for you that still makes the gov't money (more, apparently).

But it still seems worth noting that at no time is this supposed $20 fine payable, in and of itself.

One guy was charged for.. changing lanes too much? And he pleaded guilty, with an explanation and asked the court to have mercy because he had no job, etc. The judge told him "it's only a $20 fine... (etc) and with court-fees that'll be $103."

I sense a disturbance in the force...
    [face_thinking]

2. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    I bet the government takes all the money it earns from dumb people who drive with expired plates and puts it towards oppressing you.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Before you go to court to argue it, just pay the ticket. Or, you could, you know, keep your car registration up to date and not let it expire. Both those scenarios don't involve court fees.

4. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Piltdown Did I say I was being oppressed? Did I say I wasn't wrong for driving with expired plates? You're missing the point. This is, by my observation, and unusual circumstance. Can you explain it?

It seems to be simply a nominal fee.

Darth-Lando Let me repeat myself: It was an $87 pre-pay ticket. I actually avoided paying the ticket in court. I was charged for $67 in court fees. Going to court was cheaper than paying the ticket, beforehand.

I did not argue against it. I pleaded guilty.

Yes, I could have avoided all of this by keeping up-to-date on the expiration dates on my plates. That thought had occurred to me, believe it or not. Alas, that is not what happened, and has no bearing on my observation of the law at work.

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Pretty much that.

Darth_Deception likes this.
  6. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It's no accident that the U.S. education system is so ****. They want the poorly educated masses to drive with expired plates so that they can take them to the cleaners financially.

I mean 'pls splain govt to me'? You must be hemorrhaging cash.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  7. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Kyle KatarnWell, I don't mind being correct on my first try. I suppose I expected some sort of alternate theory, or someone with a better understanding of the nature of the fee or law in general to provide some info, but I'll take it! :p

George Roperto answer the expired plate criticism: It is completely my error. I accept full responsibility. If you're asking for a reason, I would say this is my first car, and the first time I've dealt with plates expiring. Obviously I knew they would expire at some point- it was in the recesses of my mind- but it's not something I've ever had to think about and thus, did not think about it, until I was pulled over.

Yes, it was not very squared away of me.

Now, the follow-up ticket I got about a week later was slightly more unintelligent, but I didn't think I'd get pulled over again and was waiting for the middle of the month/middle of the week (best time) to go to the DMV and I was kinda busy, guys. :p

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    If you paid the ticket in advance, you still would have paid court costs... 67+20=87. You saved yourself some money... good for you. Moving forward, don't drive with expired plates. The end. Not sure what you need explained to you.

9. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    sorry, it was $62 in court fees (got mixed up a bit, myself- bu it was in the OP). And, as it was explained to me by a clerk afterwards, the court fees charge is an arbitrary number from 0-250 that is completely up to the judge.

What court fees would be online? You can say that, but that doesn't make sense. court is never held... there is a 3% processing fee for credit cards...