Podcast Series on SW Music

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Pensivia, May 11, 2014.

1. Pensivia Force Ghost

star 4
    For those who don't already know about it, Rebel Force Radio is doing a podcast series (called "Star Wars Oxygen") on the music of all six SW films. They go into a fair bit of depth, with multiple hour-long shows per film (they had four shows just on ANH, and are two shows into their sequence on ESB). New podcasts are released about once a month. Here's a link to a listing of the shows to date:

http://www.shotglassdigital.com/page/1/?s=oxygen

I've listened to several of the shows and found them interesting. They cover everything from influences on JW's scores, to the musical relationships between different themes in the films, to archival interview clips with JW and others. They also include interesting factoids such as how many times a particular theme appears in various films (for ex, some variation of the Imperial March appears about 40 times in ESB!). One of the hosts uses a piano to illustrate musical ideas as they discuss them.

Just wanted to pass this along...happy listening!
  2. Darth Eddie Force Ghost

star 4
    I like listening to Jimmy Mac talk about ANYTHING frankly. And I LOVE Star Wars music. I swallow these shows whole.

The Droids have their own motif in Empire Strikes Back and nobody ever noticed! John Williams is king.
    TX-20 and Pensivia like this.
  3. TX-20 Force Ghost

star 4
    David Collins sure knows his Star Wars music. Love this podcast.
  4. he-guy RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 1
    Couldn't agree more with the positive posts here, this is an excellent series of podcasts. I love hearing the discussion and how it enhances the score we've all listened to countless times.
    TX-20 likes this.
  5. Bobby Roberts Force Ghost

star 4
    This is one of my favorite podcasts PERIOD right now. Not just Star Wars related, but overall. The way Collins breaks down the cues is engrossing. And yeah, the Droid Theme is a great example. I knew about that motif, can hum every note of it - and yet it never even dawned on me that it was the Droid's theme.

Lots of little mindblowers in every episode. I love that.
    TX-20 likes this.