main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #1-6: Black Squadron, Lockdown (6/6 released) & SaBBotage

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Jan 14, 2016.

1. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I would guess that L'ulo is truly with the Resistance, he just wants war so he is working with elements in the FO to trigger it. Once he gets his war, he would cut off his connection with them.

Revanfan1 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Lu'lo will die before TFA I'm sure of that. If he's a seasoned rebel pilot he SHOULD have been present during that starkiller attack

BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1 and spicer like this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    How do we know that he wasn't and we just didn't see him?

Though I like @The_Forgotten_Jedi's theory some, because it makes a lot more sense than him being a spy, and it being him would have more impact on both Poe and the readers than random Abednedo guy would.

Toonimator likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Like Hobbie and Farlander at Yavin? ;)

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that Farlander is "the Y-wing pilot that survived" - he was present.

Hobbie, while at Yavin, didn't participate in the actual battle due to illness. The other "ill pilot" was Jal Te Gniev from Vader's Quest.

6. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Unless his A-wing was destroyed before TFA leading to him piloting an X-wing, then he wasn't present. No A-wings at the SKB battle!

Lu'lo being the one would definitely have more impact as you said...

Maybe he's what others accuse Leia of being, an old vet who can't let the war go and needs to drum up any reason to continue fighting. Maybe he's even more sick of how ineffectual the Republic had become in later years than Leia was, how it hasn't lived up to the ideals of the Alliance he once proudly served, and so he wants to tear it all down. Maybe he's loyal but just wants to accelerate things as The Forgotten Jedi suggests.

Or it could be Oddy, the guy who personally went over the Black Squadron X-wings; not sure what his motive'd be thus far. But I kinda hope it isn't him, and that he's the Abednedo X-wing pilot from the end of the film & the Force for Change video, the one people mistakenly identify as Ello Asty surviving after all.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Right, that's what I mean- he could be "in" TFA during the Starkiller assault but we just didn't "see" him.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Pius Dea Crusader

Pius Dea Crusader Jedi Master

Nov 26, 2013
    There is something that I believe has not been mentioned about the last issue. In Bloodline, we learn that in the times of the New Republic, the Hutt Clan is not as powerful as used to. And now we see a New Republic prison full of Hutts. Maybe in some point in the history of the New Republic, there is a direct initiative of the centralized government to stop the Hutts as a criminal organization once and for all. That's a story I would really like to see. Just imagine the New Republic fleet in a full scale invasion of the Hutt space, doing what the Old Republic and the Empire never dared to. I think there is a lot of potential there.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Book I, Part V - Lockdown (#5)

Consistent art looked good. I enjoyed it, but it felt like more of a setup issue to the events of next time.

Agent Terex has no plans to break out Grakkus but partners with 3 other powerful inmates in the prison: Kan Be, Papa Toren, and Isin. He promises them their freedom if they kill those loyal to Grakkus and Black Squadron. He plans to torture Grakkus for the information he needs.

Black Squadron doesn't do much but complain this issue. The plan relies on BB-8 and fellow Black Squadron droids (a pink R3, a green R4, and a blue R6) to tamper with the field generator on deck 12 of the Megalox ship. Unfortunately, after disabling some guards, and setting off a security alarm, they are confronted with a large "Iron Giant" esque droid. It crushes the blue R6 in its hand easily. BB8 sheepishly threatens it with his lighter as it laughs and prepares to attack as the issues ends.

10. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Nice continuity with the lando series including Papa Torren

BigAl6ft6, spicer and TiniTinyTony like this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    ... and his translator elves.

spicer, Vthuil and SilentGuy66 like this.
  12. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Good issue. This is turning out to be a bit of a slow moving series (and I suspect that we won't go past the Lor San Tekka storyline until after Ep. VIII comes out next December) but I am really enjoying the development they are giving to the other members of Black Squadron. We are getting to know characters like Jess Pava and an adult Snap Wexley.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It is described as a private prison, not a New Republic prison. This is an important distinction.

--Adm. Nick

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean I'd certainly hope Soule would be consistent with his own creations. :p

15. TOD-UK

TOD-UK Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    Just read this, and also finished "Tarkin" this week....so why the hell can't I figure out why Terex would be using the Carrion Spike?

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This is the one thing that's been consistently preventing me from enjoying this series quite as much as I did the original X-Wing comics - as I've said before, it's clearly more of a byproduct of the modern era of writing comics for the trade paperback.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I mean at least this is supposed to be an ongoing, so I can forgive an abundance of setup. I thought this issue had a bunch of good content, though. Mostly on expanding Terex's characterisation as well as introducing the subplot with BB's badass bunch of R2 buddies.

Karl0413 likes this.
  18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    This book keeps getting better. I did not feel like it was really a good new eu equivalent for the Rouges but now they really feel like a team and once again Jess keeps being my favorite character. she talks about ships and engines in the previous issue which is something I miss so much. And overall she is just a total bad a** who is finally getting some depth. I always latch onto one pilot in each squad and while I have a Poe collection she might be my new main pilot to obsess over if only cause she acts like a pilot more then anyone else.

It is like Soule is starting to get the hang of writing a fighter squadron even when on the ground the same way Stackpole and Allston did. It is nice to see him getting better each issue.

I actually asked Charles Soule on twitter a while back.
    https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/730728041161367552?cn=cmVwbHk=&refsrc=email
    He has a plan but I guess we are gonna have to wait and see for the time being.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I loved the droid mission subplot in this issue. They did a good job if giving them done personality without going too far and adding in humor (like the failing jet) without overdoing it (TCW droid void arc, ugh).

Poor badass blastomech!

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    #6: Book I, Part VI Lockdown

I really enjoyed this issue compared to last month. I don't know how many more stories there are going to be, but I hope they keep coming.

The action shifts between BB-8's fight on the Megalox Beta and Poe on the planet's surface as they both fight to stay alive. BB-8 wins and he and his fellow droids successfully turn off the gravity field, essentially crushing all the criminals to the ground from the weight of the planet's natural gravity.

Poe and team activate their portable gravity belts, remaining immune to the planet's effects. They take Grakkus and a ship from the warden, and promise to return control back to her once they are safely away.

As they are about to depart, Terex used his ship, the Carrion Spike, to not only escape the gravity, but fly right though the Megalox Beta complex. Black Squadron decides to attack Terex and he is forced to retreat. Later he speaks to Captain Phasma via hologram who orders him to return to the First Order for debriefing and he ends the transmission mid speech (essentially making himself an enemy of the First Order now).

Back at the Resistance Base, Poe and Leia meet. The intel from Grakkus appears to be good, but the hunt for Lor San Tekka is put on hold as Poe's new mission from Leia is to find out how Terex knew they would be at the prison...

21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Of all things, what really sparked my interest is
    the fact that Lor San Tekka may have gone to Hosra after leaving Ovanis. As those who have played Star Wars: Uprising know, Hosra was home to the Force-using advisers of the Noble Court.

22. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Absolutely liked this issue (#6), I also hope they'll find a work around instead of L'ulo dying, it'd be cool to see him in episode 8 or something.

Going to be exciting to see who the spy in the resistance is, also what takes Terex further and if the First Order is after him or if it just means a personal beef with Phasma.

Anyways.. just a month and a half till next issue, ey? [face_waiting] What's funny though is that the issue after that (if not changed) comes out only the week after.

SilentGuy66 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    This was a very good issue. It will be interesting to see how long of run this series has as it does look like it is mainly going to stick with the pre-TFA stuff. I'd say it will probably go for about twenty four issues. Biggest thing I will take out of it is the fact that it gave characters like Snap, Lu'lo, Jess, and Kare a lot of development that they never would have gotten otherwise.

24. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I think some people maybe overthinking the Terex ending.

During TCW how many times did Grevious get a call from Dooku after he'd ****ed up without ever having to pay for the consequences. I mean at the end of the Malevolence trilogy Grievous cuts off a communication with Dooku, but he didn't immediately desert the separatist movement. So therefore I don't think Terex is going rogue he's just been defeated and he's huffy about it that's all.

25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Also related to this:
    When I told Charles Soule that I hoped we'd see Hosra and its Force-user in the comic, he didn't answer anything, but liked my tweet. And when I asked Alexander Freed (who writes most of SW: Uprising's missions) how these Force-users aƩre called, he said "Still can't answer that one, I'm afraid! (But good try.)"

Could it be that it's all building up to something?

Kylun, Taalcon and Cynda like this.