main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #1-6: Black Squadron, Lockdown (6/6 released) & SaBBotage

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This story seems very reminiscent of the tale of Merlin and the Two Dragons (or the Legend of the Red and White Dragon... or Red and White Serpents... or whatever title your version of the King Arthur tales used). Terex is King Vortigern, a real jerk of a fellow attempting to build his castle and willingly unleashing the dragons from inside the hill it was built upon. In the end, the red dragon wins, symbolizing the eventually victory of Vortigern's people (who, if you're not familiar with the story, are not so nice... they're the ones who try to kill Merlin as a boy). The red dragon is Wales, the white dragon is the English invaders. So... black monster with red lines defeats white monster... white monster is the New Republic, red dragon is the First Order building strength before the attack? Hmmm.

[​IMG]

Jedi Princess likes this.
  2. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    I don't understand where the black creature came from. Were they both in the same egg?

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes.
    While the white on is attacking everyone, you see a small frame showing the rest of the egg breaking, with a black shape emerging from it. Then the next page the black creature hits the white one.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    What's up with the white/black creature at the end, did it absorb the powers of the other one or did it's colour scheme change?

But anyway I did love how the cult was all ready to worship what came out of the egg and what comes out of the egg promptly attempts to eat them. I like imagine that off panel the creature just flew into space with them riding on it's back and then they perished, but I'm mean like that.

Still some of the best stuff in the book is how closely Soule nails Isaac's inflections and Poe's dialogue, it really fits with what we've seen of the character from the movie.

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Cover for #6 with BB8 being a badass
    [​IMG]

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He's Spider-Droid.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    Poe looks so proud of him too! A good droid has your back and electrocutes first order elite so you can complete your mission. Love it!

Kylun likes this.
  8. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Thought issue 3 was a mite meh!

Felt like they were painting themselves into a corner, still loved the way BB-8 dealt with Agent Terex though!

Expected more but hopefully this is just a minor failure that won't effect the rest of the series, still don't know how they tracked Poe given he's now part of the Resistance and they should be watching out for tracking beacons so maybe one of the others is a turncoat?

One of my theories is that Luke went into hiding because the force that took out his academy was composed of both the First Order and the New Republic because he wasn't willing to kow tow to the NR Senate and Snoke used that to his advantage.
    Of course that theory also assumed Leia was trained by Luke and assumed Ben's early training but her duties in the Senate allowed Snoke to corrupt her son and when she realised what was going on sent him to Luke to try and prevent him doing an Anakin 2.0 but Snoke gave him the means so they could track him straight to Luke's Academy and wipe them out letting Snoke's new apprentice claim the credit to really hurt Ben's parents.
    Not a fan of what Bloodlines is hinting but the majority of it is dealing with the political side that should have been revealed in the movie or around the same time so at least that's a good point.

Anyway did they show her telling Poe where LST was?

Seriously is it necessary to make that happen off screen?

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    BB-8: Do you fry? You will.
    Guard: Ma-artha!

vncredleader likes this.
  10. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Didn't love this issue, the whole fight with the creatures was a little weird. Glad they're moving on from this planet though, and I'm excited to see what happens next in the search for Lor San Tekka!

11. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

I want to know whose face BB-8 is blocking. [face_thinking]

12. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Maybe the future covers can be placed in spoiler tags? I know it isn't techinically a spoiler since it is officially released info but some of us like to go into stories as in the dark as we can and seeing the covers three or four issues from now can give a few hints a way as to what direction they are heading.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think a spoiler tag is fair for issues beyond the next issue. We'll try that moving forward in the thread for the next arc starting with #7.

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    That would be great. Thanks. I know a lot of people like knowing the direction stories are headed but some don't. I'm pretty extreme in that regard in that I don't even like reading the story summary for movies. When I'm searching for movies off of netflix to get I will often just look in the particular genre I'm in the mood to watch and get movies that have a lot of four and five star reviews (though I don't actually read the reviews just look at the star rating)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Wouldn't mind the covers spoilered, wish they'd make more Poe centric Lego Star Wars episodes mind you!;)

16. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Snap's?

Or maybe it's...the turncoat who placed the tracker on Poe's X-wing? Or Terex in a new outfit about to grab Poe?

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Agent M. Wazowski.

JediMara77, Revanfan1 and Toonimator like this.
  18. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    "I can't believe it... I'm...on the cover of a COMIC BOOK!"

19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Preview for #4
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Karl0413 likes this.
  20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Is that supposed to be a Twi'lek?

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    That's a New Republic prison? Or a prison that existed prior to it's formation? That place sounds terrifying.

--Adm. Nick

22. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Yeah, this place gives Belsavis in TOR a run for its money just based on that little description.

Kylun likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Was that Gryph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Reminds me of the Dagoola IV prison from the Miles Vorkosigan books.

25. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    With very slender lekku, it seems (at the base, anyway). Wonder if they'll explain why her lekku are that way, or if it's just Noto's fault.

Weird.

Guessing that before they leave, something will happen to put the grav-field at risk, so Poe & Pals will have to try to stabilize it or escape it before getting crushed.