main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #1-6: Black Squadron, Lockdown (6/6 released) & SaBBotage

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I can definitely remember seeing a few other Twi'lek designs like that, but not where. It's not unheard of, though.

2. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    I got a good idea of what that something is:

[​IMG]

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    That is 100% a Twi-lek, guaranteed. Besides, I like a bit of diversity in species. Reminds me of how Omar Francia made multiple unique looking Mon Calamarians back in the old Legacy series. Each was distinctly unique, while still looking like Mon Cals. Just as humans very in shape & size, so to should other species. I don't want every alien to look like a carbon copy of their movie counterparts. Less interesting. ;)

--Adm. Nick

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Book I, Part I: Black Squadron
    Book I, Part II: Black Squadron
    Book I, Part III: Black Squadron

Book I, Part IV: Lockdown
    Grakkus the Hutt is back and he appears to have information about Lors San Tekka that not only Poe wants, but the First Order as well, but more on that later. Of course, getting to Grakkus won't be easy as he's in prison. The prison is contained on a planet that has a sort of a dome force field from a station in orbit protecting the prisoners from the gravity that would crush them if they stepped out of the force field. Therefore there are no walls or guards in the prison, and the prisoners have a created a society where they live/survive. Poe and his team go there to not only find Grakkus, but also Agent Terex. Terex and Grakkus appear to have a history, but now with Poe's arrival, their deal has changed and Grakkus will now help only one of them - the one that breaks him out.

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I was a bit bummed with today's issue. Good character development and some great exchanges between Poe and L'ulo, but still felt slow. I guess I keep imaging this series to be more akin to the old Rogue Squadron comics. It's interesting that this prison is never described as a New Republic facility, it definitely had the vibe of being a private run prison. These Hutts have some beefed up arms. :p

--Adm. Nick

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I was pleasantly surprised to see Battletoad the Hutt return (albeit time in prison has rendered him far less Battletoady ;) ). Nice connection there and the legged walkers he and the other Hutts used were neat too. The prison concept is different too.

The pacing is a bit of a shift in gears since we are setting up the next mission, but I did love the last moment between Grakkus & Poe.

SensationalSean likes this.
  7. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Very much enjoyed this issue. A good character development issue for Black Squadron, love the world building with the prison planet and the return of Grakkus is another good example of the new shared universe. Plus Terex is back too.

8. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I'd say the difference is more between comics in the 90s and comics in the present then a conceptual difference between the specific series.

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I really enjoyed this issue as well. Yes some may have viewed it as being a little slow but I liked the character development they had in it of the other members of Black Squadron. I was worried that Poe was going to be the only one that received any real development in this series but those fears were put to rest in this issue. Snap, Jess, Kare, and Lu'lo are more than just butts in a seat of an X-Wing.

Wondering if a member or two of Black Squadron may die sometime during this series since not all five of them were in TFA? As far as I know only Poe, Jess, and Snap were in TFA of the current group.

Vthuil I only started reading comics within the last few years so in general are you saying that comics from the '90's tended to focus a little more on action and less on character development than comis do currently?

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  10. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    What I meant is that the whole "writing for the trade" thing has become much more prevalent now, with the result that the pacing of storylines is a little different. While the Rogue Squadron comics also followed an episodic arc structure, the structure played out a little differently when not everything was a five-or-six-issue storyline.

LelalMekha likes this.
  11. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Great issue! I'm not really fan of the drawings but the story itself was interesting. Looking forward for next issues!

12. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Anyone else get an Arkham City vibe from the prison?

13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Slow issue, but it's okay. Liked the side stories of black squadron (Snap and Karé [face_love]) . Why do I feel something fishy about Lu'lo? [face_thinking]
    Art wasn't the greatest (Twi'lek?) but it's still better the the one with Darth Vader. Is Terex the only villain? Hope they don't overuse him now. Interesting ending with Grakkus changing the deal. ;)
    Him and Terex have an history, okay. Anyway, an okay issue with the action happens in a prison (Marvel seems to like prison stories).

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  14. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Agent Terex, you just got to love him.

[​IMG]

15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Good issue, an improvement over the last one imo. Considering that eventually these first Poe Dameron arcs lead to TFA, I hope they provide something interesting, otherwise I find it hard not to consider them filler.

16. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So does this still count as the first story arc? Because the opening crawl said book 1 part IV yet the title has changed?

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    SilentGuy66, I'd say so. The full title is: "Star Wars presents Poe Dameron in Black Squadron and Lockdown, a Star Wars story."

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  18. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    "oh why I'm here?
    Well over 30 years ago Luke Skywalker himself visited him and back then our friend here had quite the collection of illegal Jedi and Sith relics so I thought... if I wanted to find a certain explorer with a similar interest as our friend here who better to ask...?"
    "Lor San Tekk visited you in prison?" Poe asks the Hutt.
    "Yes, wish I knew how he got out again!" the Hutt sighs.
    Mentally Agent Terex cursed.
    "Why didn't I think to ask him that?!"

19. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Lu'lo breaks rules of engagement, does some saber rattling, and all he gets a one minute talk from Poe...who in the very next minute talks about he and his pilots are the best.

[​IMG]

20. GFFAwakens

GFFAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    Somehow I missed this. Will download from ComiXology when I get home. Came out same day as new Han Solo? Art looks fantastic.

21. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Just finished reading this.
    Interesting, I figure either Agent Terex orders the First Order to seize the orbital platform so he can secure his end of the deal most probably only to kill him afterwards.
    Well that would insure he keeps his word to the warden so no one escapes from his prison!
    I suspect Poe is imprisoned on Terex's orders, but we then learn what BB-8 has been doing whilst they're down in the prison itself!

Can't help feeling they're missing something in this series, so far its just go here, do that and they've already got evidence the First Order is keeping tabs on Poe so shouldn't they be trying to lay a trap for whoever is passing on that information?

MY guess is that the Resistance's links to the New Republic is how they're being betrayed.
    Leia is considered a threat so they keep the First Order appraised of her actions the question is who exactly is relaying the information and why?

If the First Order is still Human First that tends to limit their options but if someone in the New Republic is using them then that might explain the engineer.

Just doesn't make sense yet!

22. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

Me too, it reminded me of Poe's "Who talks first?" moment in TFA. And it is so good to have Grakkus back. I'd like to find out how he seized power in the prison.

The old mole trope never gets old ... it's obviously BB-8, the Palpatine of the ST.

23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I will say that Megalox is quite a dumb name.
    For the traitor I'm hesitating between L'ulo and Oddy, the technician.[face_thinking]

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Lu'lo is my guess. The FO benefits from having Resistance fire first.

25. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Terex kind of reminds me of Herr Starr from Preacher.