main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #14-19: Legend Lost & Annual #1 (6/7 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TiniTinyTony , May 3, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    See, this is the problem with the First Order - they're lazy, little bastards.

No attempt to replicate the classical, angular Imperial aesthetics beyond slamming a few triangular decks together and sticking a couple of shield domes on top so making a mile-long, squashed sandwich starship..

BigAl6ft6 and LelalMekha like this.
  2. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

Nope, that's the Resurgent-class.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Resurgent-class_Battlecruiser

It's the one we see in TFA and presumably the new ship of the line of the First Order.

However prior to TFA the existence of the Resurgent-class is a secret, as it would be in direct breach of the Galactic Concordance. That's why Poe looks so surprised when he first sees the hangar of the Finalizer in the beginning of TFA. Neither the Resistance nor the New Republic realized prior TFA just how large and well armed the First Order fleet is.

Also, I liked that Issue 14 was not only L'ulo's memorial, but also served as a small goodbye to Carrie Fisher as well.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    #15 reminded me a lot of the movie "Speed".

BigAl6ft6 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    While it's supposed to be secret - Poe had already encountered at least one Resurgent-class vessel in Before The Awakening - so he's not all that surprised in TFA.

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who got "speed" vibes from this issue. Wouldn't it be funny if the arc ended like this:

Poe: I have an idea if BB8 can place an object of extreme mass on the influx ignition capacitor, giving the ion drives a state of perpetual power and motion. We'd have a brief window to get away without the power core detonating with us on the ship. As long as long as the force on the ignition capacitor is not interrupted.
    Snap: You don't mean.....
    Poe: That's right we put a brick on the accelerator!

:p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Poe: Did you have any luck with the bomb?
    Snap: Yeah, it didn't go off.

BigAl6ft6, Jedi Jessy, Vthuil and 4 others like this.
  7. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Issue 15 preview:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This series is making me wish that it started before the Lor San Tekka thing and then eventually got to that.

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    yeah that seemed like a shameless tie-in to TFA that wasn't actually appropriate with the timeline they're telling this story with

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm assuming the initial plan was to tell the story from looking for to finding Lor on Jakku, but thankfully the series gained popularity and we're getting more stories in between. Obviously getting supplies for the hidden rebel base is more important than finding Luke for the time being. Even though the story has a "Speed" feel, I do like that it also feels like the Rebels series. Next story we'll be getting is the "Chopper/Droid" piece just like Rebels.

BTW, with the Aftermath and Lost Stars, do we know how many years Luke has been in hiding on Ahch-To?

vncredleader likes this.
  11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I assume Luke went to Ahch-To right after telling Leia about Ben

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think the Lor San Tekka "issue" is more on the readers than on the story itself, but by that same token I can see an argument that Soule should have seen it coming and just avoided it.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    To me, that should be the obvious end point/story arc of the final issues of the book.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah I totally predict the final panel of the Poe Dameron comic will be "This will begin to make things right." but that's only when the book finishes, which I could see if the sales don't drop too much this going until the end of Episode IX.

15. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    This is more like what I wanted from the start. It feel more like the military focused resource war kind of thing you would get with a paramilitary group fighting a massive enemy like the FO. I do wish we saw some actual battles and resistance ground troops though. The way this books is acting is as if this squadron and the spies are all the resistance has which feels strange cause they are an actual military (albeit a small one) so there should be a bit more differentiation. I wonder if we will see the Resistance's wallet run dry and them re-establish Crait in this book.

Also Poe feels a bit more like he did in Before the Awakening, confident but not cocky. Also Jess continues to be my favorite with her fixing up her ship in the background cause it felt slightly off. That little character moment makes her feel more real than the others.

16. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I agree! I want the Resistance blowing up and murdering First Order troops to show General Hux's justification for destroying the anarchic Republic!

17. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Luke has not been on his island for more then six years, as we know from Blood Line.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

maybe Leia has to make investments pitches at certain places were Star Wars 1 percent people live in certain movies [spoilers]

vncredleader likes this.
  19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Who can translate the Aurebesh in that panel? Any recognizable names?

20. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Who can translate the Aurebesh in that panel? Any recognizable names?

21. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016

[​IMG]
    rory larao
    or reary laraea for the first one.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I got-

rory larab…
    lurtz blior
    rork ber trugh
    lorr sombar
    coral muler
    captain parrili

Probably. Which means they probably misspelled Perrili when translating. The others I'm guessing are gibberish.

Dr. Steve Brule and vncredleader like this.
  23. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh nice job! I like some of those as random SW names. kinda want them thrown in somewhere in a story

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Since these are supposed to be people that Han can vouch for, it's a shame they didn't try to put in some real names they could work into stories with him later on. Oh well.

Kind of underwhelmed at this issue. The story was sparse and felt more than a little contrived. They only have enough fuel for one X-wing... so they decide to "fly light" and have four X-wings fly, with no apparently consequences or restrictions despite us being told what a dangerous daring this this is. Show us, don't tell us. Poe doesn't want to leave the tanker because it's full of fuel. He finds out it's empty... and still doesn't leave it? The solution to the tanker having a bomb on it is... to have three astro droid roll over and plug into wall sockets? How exciting! And when needing to get new fuel, his decision is to find the First Order ship who stole the fuel (despite not knowing where it is and not having equipped fighters... at least as far as we're told) rather than, maybe, trying to get more fuel from anywhere else?

Also didn't really like the design of the fuel tanker. Did not seem very Star Warsy.

vncredleader likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Really? I think "Lurtz Blior" and "Rork Ber Trugh" are pretty excellent Star Wars names.

vncredleader likes this.
  26. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I love how Poe's big heroic wont stand down moment is "I am gonna fly a bomb to the enemy who I don't even know and get back fuel". I swear does this version of Poe even think before he does something? They need a tactical officer with Black Squadron, or rather a chaperone