main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #14-19: Legend Lost & Annual #1 (6/7 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TiniTinyTony , May 3, 2017.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh wow -- Xextos! Somebody's finally using Xextos! Outside of their .5 sec cameo in Stark Hyperspace War!

Wait.

...Xexto Aurra Sing?

MrDarth0, Kylun, vncredleader and 2 others like this.
  2. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    The Clone Wars were a war of secession with the TV series depicting worlds that seceded from the Republic being invaded by clones because the Republic didn't want to lose them. Trying to tie all of this story together is going to be difficult since the story depicts a moral dichotomy between good/light and evil/dark yet flip flops on the specifics.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, Mon Mothma and company wanted to show the galaxy, "Hey, we'll let people who want to Centrexit leave the Republic. Yes, it will be a long negotiated process but it will still happen peacefully." Palpatine was very careful to make sure no negotiations could actually succeed by controlling both sides. He had Dooku doing terrorist attacks and was taking a hardline stance so peace was impossible.

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Poe Dameron Annual
    I'm a little lost on this one as I recall what I just read. There is one before and after and then a second before and after with General Organa and Poe. Maybe I need better knowledge of the past issues and the missions that Leia has sent Poe on but I thought an annual was a standalone story. It's clear that this is a summation of his adventures and I just don't have all 15 issues thus far committed to memory. Most are just a blur and sadly not very memorable. All I remember is something with a giant egg / getting stuck in a prison AND the whole Carrion Spike spy mission which I guess were two separate missions and its blurring all into one.

Anyway, this annual is a mix of the movie Gravity and a simple Poe/BB-8 solo mission. Poe stumbles onto the First Order because of an old distress signal. He makes the right decision and puts the cause before his own life, putting BB-8, the intel he gathered, and some explosives the First Order was trying to get their hands on, onto an escape pod.

Thankfully Black Squadron shows up in the nick of time to save Poe and in the end Leia is pleased that Poe is learning even though he isn't following orders, obviously something she is all too familiar with. The big reveal at the end is that they know that Terex is still alive, and this story will be continued in issue #16.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's weird that this was an 'annual' despite being part of the overall story when the done-in-one Issue 7 (which is actually probably my favorite issue) wasn't, despite having the qualities of one.

As for quality, I thought it was enjoyable enough but nothing special.
    Poe discovering that Terex was still alive is kind of underwhelming - it was a case of building up a 'reveal' that's not that big a deal, and in the bigger picture it's not really clear why it matters, since Terex isn't really a nemesis to Poe as a brainwashed zombie without his private resources.

Also, pretty minor, but why is an A-Wing with Black Squadron when they save Poe? Did the guest artist not get briefed that L'ulo is dead?

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    BTW, this is just a guess on my part but I assume at some point Terex will free his mind from his current condition and now have super-cyborg powers.

Evil Lobot.

BigAl6ft6 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Just as long as Terex doesn't join the resistance I'd be fine with him escaping the first order.

8. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I have some thoughts on the annual

The Good:
    General Organa's face.
    The artwork in general. Its a good approximation of Carrie and Oscar's faces for a comic work but free enough that Virella was actually able to do something interesting with it. I hope this continues on in the future
    The bad:
    This had no business being an annual. The plot felt as thin as the paper I was reading it on. And I don't understand why it connected to the current arc? A disappointment since I adored the Star Wars Annual I read last year. I honestly expect way more if you're gonna charge me for it.

TiniTinyTony and SilentGuy66 like this.
  9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think this issue was Terex's most dastardly scheme yet: making me pay five dollars for this piece of padded fluff. I guess technically they could have made a lighter-weight story but it would have required more effort than went into writing the actual issue.

The actual First Order plan in this issue was so inane that it doesn't even bear commenting on. I do appreciate, however, that this issue revealed several new laws of physics for the GFFA:

• Poe plans to use the reaction from his blaster - a beam of light - to propel him through space
    • B-8's lighter works in the vacuum of space
    • Most ridiculously, BB-8 is shown to be able to roll through empty space

I also liked the scene where Black Squadron, including the A-wing apparently being flown by the ghost of L'ulo, is shown flying full-speed into a hangar and before apparently coming to a complete stop in the space of three or four meters.

This series is quickly wearing out its spot in my pull box.

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Blasters have heavy recoil from what we see on screen. They're basically less lasers that exploding balls of napalm shooters.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Can you provide an example?

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Why are they bracing them two handed then? Also, using them like real guns?

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I confess, I'd be more than a little surprised if anyone ever strove for consistency on whether blasters have recoil.

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Why is there no recoil in that clip you provided as evidence they have recoil?

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    You mean where they are holding each weapon for dear life?

With both hands?

Right

16. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Poe Dameron #16 preview.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The art looks pretty decent...except Poe's face. What is it with the inability of artists/toy sculptors to capture Oscar Isaac's visage?

18. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Yup, they're holding each weapon "for dear life," and still with no recoil when they fire it. Right.

See? I can be arrogantly dismissive, too, except I actually have the visual evidence on my side ;)

Man, look at that recoil! Boy, I sure was wrong!

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm confused, because it looks like there is.

So...yeah.

Right.

vncredleader likes this.
  20. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Spoilers for the annual
    Can Thompson be the writer from now on? I don't hate Soule or anything, in fact I have a lot of respect for his DareDevil run, but this book has been really all over the place and his Poe in particular flip flops a lot and feels way to carefree. While he attempts character stuff it feels to easily wrapped up and not super interesting. This issue was not amazing or anything but I think Thompson did more with Poe and made me actually like the reckless thing which is something I have been very critical of this whole time. I actually got more then half through before I went back to see if it was another writer cause it felt so different. I am not saying shove Soule off, but I feel that after the Terex thing is wrapped up they should get Thompson (or my dream pick Rucka) to do the book

Slowing it down I think you are correct. The blaster itself seems to be knocked back by the blasts. i assume Han is just really steady which makes sense for him to be.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think Poe is a very common character type. The brash arrogant pilot always leaping into action. He's just, in the words of Top Gun, "writing checks his body can't cash."

BigAl6ft6 and vncredleader like this.
  22. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I liked the story but I miss the days where comic book annual were actually big stories.

LelalMekha and vncredleader like this.
  23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Those where the days.

Darth Pipes likes this.
  24. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Recoil in blasters.
    There is a shot in the making of TESB where the extras for the Hoth Walker battle are being instructed by the blaster wrangler.
    He shows them to move the blaster as if it has recoil and says 'make the bloody thing work'.

The people making the film thought blasters have recoil

Charlemagne19 and vncredleader like this.
  25. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Completely separate from whether or not blasters have recoil the whole scene looked daft and it took me far too long trying to figure out what was meant to be happening from BB's lighter (I can suspend disbelief) to...whatever was meant to be propelling them, to how they survived a mine hit in the first place.

Overall it was a thin issue, not actually bad, but not annual material, but that whole scene was seriously daft. I'd give it a pass under Rule of Cool but in order to qualify things actually have to be cool, and that wasn't to start with and it was a lot of faffing about when they could have opened with the ship hitting the mine and the velocity from the ejection carrying them close enough to the station for BB to snag it or for the writer to rip off the bit in The Martian where Matt Damon cuts his suit and uses the pressurized air to propel him to the ship.

Vthuil likes this.