main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #14-19: Legend Lost & Annual #1 (6/7 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TiniTinyTony , May 3, 2017.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Have we had an actually great annual that propels it's book forward like it should any time recently? I mean even good ones like Batman annual 3 was still just a tie in to Endgame. I miss stuff that stood out like DC's year one annual month. That gave us Batman annual 19 which is Scarecrow year one and honestly the best story to use the character ever possibly.

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    This most recent issue once more left a lot wanting. Not even able to muster enough interest to talk about it in detail. Please mercy kill this storyline ASAP.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I would imagine this series will go to about issue 24 or so (and the arc after this will be about them finally tracking down Tekka). There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of story left to tell plus the sales have dipped down to the low 30,000 range.

I still say that they should have waited to do a series like this until after the release of Ep. VIII where they could expand on the ST story a little bit more than they can now. A pre TFA Poe (X-Wing) series could have worked if they had set it earlier in the timeline. Follow Poe's journey when first joining the Resistance and first meeting characters like Jess, Snap, and Kare. They would have been allowed a little more room in a situation like that.

With where they chose to start they basically only had one storyline they could tell and they had to find a way they could turn that storyline in to two years worth of comic releases.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Again, I don't think this is true. Yes, Poe has become kind of meandering and pointless, but that really has nothing to do with the Lor San Tekka search. I can easily think of ways to tell more interesting stories under the constraints the book has to work with. It's on the writing, not the concept.

5. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    This series has been quite dull since Terex got lobotomized, but ...

Did we see a flash of his old self after Malarus pushed him over?

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Poe is one of my favorite series now because it's the ONLY one about what I want to read about.

I.e. The Resistance vs. The First Order.

Blow up some shipyards, superweapons, and more people!

DelRiego likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked the annual if only because I dig one-offs involving mine fields, although I am stumped as to where to add it to my stack of Poe Dameron comics. Probably after the most recent issue. The most recent issue, the best stuff was Poe driving the ship right at the First Order, the FO officer completely losing their stuff, Jess making a last second "TINK" landing, and Terrex is definitely going to snap back to his old self soon. But, y'know, with robot powers or whatever.

DelRiego likes this.
  8. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Well, look at Terex's head in this panel:

[​IMG]

Cyborg implant took the brunt of the blow. Ten-to-one it is damaged.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, that could well see it get axed then because that is low for Marvel.

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    There's potentially millions of stories to tell about the Resistance vs. The FO.

The problem is that they seem reluctant to do that.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    IMO, the reluctance is due to the fact that the Republic and the First Order have a treaty or agreement to not engage with each other, right? Of course Leia knowing better can see the writing on the wall so she decides to create the Resistance, separate from the Republic, to keep an eye on the First Order. But then the Republic is actually supporting (/funding/helping) the Resistance and the First Order knows this so they aren't putting up with that baloney anymore.

If I'm not mistaken, the events of TFA is everything coming to a head and The FO saying - enough is enough - and wipes out the Republic. Sure, there can be little skirmishes between Resistance and The FO before then in the comics, but anything "too big" wouldn't make sense based on what happens in TFA, right?

It's like with "Rogue One" and the Rebellion's reluctance to get involved with the events of Scarif. Then they say the heck with it, and get involved which kicks off the events of the OT.

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah I think TFA was the beginning of the war between the Resistance and First Order

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    That seems a kind of bizarre statement to make given Hux in the movie is absolutely furious and talks at length about the Resistance's danger to the First Order and how that justified destroying the New Republic for supporting them.

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Just because they obviously didn't like each other doesn't mean an actual war was going on before that.

Force Smuggler and JediFett10 like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Pre Starkiller Base blows up Hosinan Prime, it's a cold war where once in awhile the Resistance and the First Order take potshots at each other but nobody gets around to full on declaring a full war, because the New Republic is waging a proxy skirmishes with the FO through the Resistance. Until they fire off the Starkiller. That's the FO officially starting (and ending) the war in one blow.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Do you think the next two movies will largely be based around Luke and Rey vs Ren and Snoke and not so much Resistence vs FO?

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd say it'd be about as balanced as the OT was, where Luke vs. Vader sort of overrides the whole thing but the backdrop of the war is huge. But it's possible in the ST, the Resistance will step up to be the new galatic government since the head of the New Republic (and possibly most of it's fleet) went ka-blewy. The war with the New Republic seemed to start and end with one shot of the Starkiller but the Resistance is still around.

18. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Anybody else notice in the Poe Annual that those space mines actually have a First Order logo on them despite the fact its supposed to be an old Imperial minefield.

Makes me think there was some misunderstanding between the writer and artist, or some last minute change during editing.

vncredleader likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Poe Dameron #17 - War Stories Part 1
    Hey, remember that blue girl Suranlinda Javos from 10 issues ago? Well she's back and she's cleaning toilets like Samwell Tarly just not as graphic. Poe visits her and tells her that General Leia has a mission for her.

Using the power of journalism, Sura is to travel with half of Black Squadron, specifically Jess and Kare, and get some evidence of the First Order being bad guys to convince others to join the Resistance. The Resistance needs money and Leia hopes that Sura's work will convince those undecided to fund the cause. Jess and Sura ride in an old Y wing because it's the only ship they have that has two seats. Kare follows in her X-wing. We get a brief glimpse of Jess's past as they chat. They also recap the deeds of Oddy Muva. Remember him? He'll be important later. Eventually, the females arrive on Gumdrop - Praying Mantis planet to set up camp. Sura makes reference that they may be there a while to find "the smoking gun" evidence they need to incriminate the First Order. The issue ends with an actual smoking First Order blaster and a dead praying mantis humanoid on the ground.

So Oddy Muva is still out there, and the other half of Black Squadron, Poe and Snap, are going after him.

Meanwhile, Commander Malarus is searching Terex's brain, using the tech that's been installed in it, for a solution to defeat Poe and his team. What she finds is Oddy and his wife's Sowa's home planet/address because her and Terex show up to capture him. They take Oddy away and Malarus gives information to Sowa to pass on to Poe when he arrives...

20. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I really liked this issue, finally feels like stuff is happening and the book is getting the most out of it's 22 pages. I really like this art a lot better than Noto's. It seems like this book's momentum has been steadily increasing since the start, now I'm really looking forward to the next few issues. It would be great if this series got an Omnibus release, maybe hasn't gotten any HCs yet because it started off pretty slow, but when it's done I imagine it will be a great read from start to finish!

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  21. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Probably the best issue yet, but part of that is because it is building on what previous issues have established.

Kare and the others thinking Oddy is just an out-right traitor instead of knowing the truth is great. It will make things much more interesting down the line. I'm thinking the squad will be divided in how to deal with him.

I'm glad Javos is back. She brings an interesting perspective to the Resistance, and it is nice for the squadron to be interacting with a non-squadron member.

Jess has really been the star of this series IMO, getting the most significant development. She really feels like a character from the old Rogue comics/books, which is fantastic. I'm disappointed she won't be in the next film (although Jessica Henwick said her contract is for three SW films, so hopefully she will be in Episode 9).

A real nice detail was Terex's dialogue bubble being normal instead of robotic when Malarus asked if the implants allowed him to lie. Between that small smile he had when she damaged them and this, I'd say Terex is free and biding his time to take revenge.

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm kind of surprised Leia hasn't done some very basic PR stuff for the Resistance and against the First Order; doesn't the Propaganda book mention Leia recognizing it's important in the fight against the Empire? Wouldn't she have used that in the first galactic dispute she helped to lead? It seems like a very obvious thing to miss when you're an underdog military force.

Dr. Steve Brule and LelalMekha like this.
  23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    wow a genuinely good issue of this book again. Have not hated it or anything but it has felt stale recently. Though honestly can we just make it Jess's book? I like the hints of her backstory and that she is a soldier through and through. Really feels right out of the x-wing books. The detail of her using full ship names is small but so telling. Also Terex is so faking

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  24. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Definitely the best issue in awhile. I think it is because they are wrapping the series up and aren't trying to run in place any longer.

I liked that the other members of Black Squadron were focused on more in this issue than Poe.

vncredleader likes this.
  25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    This issue felt like it should have been called Star Wars: Black Squadron

In hindsight I think Lucasfilm realise that Poe's search for Lor San Tekka isn't as interesting to fans as in depth looks at the first order infrastructure and the resistance's struggle to stay relevant in a galaxy that doesn't feel they're needed

iPodwithnomusic and vncredleader like this.