main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #20-25: Legend Found (6/6 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 4, 2017.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Nothing whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Wow, first time I'm seeing the art by Unzueta for Poe Dameron uncoloured, and for some reason I like it way better in black and white. It's gorgeous this way.

4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Honestly Marvel should consider doing something like DC's "Unwrapped" trades

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's nice to see older Leia in a fancy dress, but once again, it looks more Nabooan than Alderaanian to me.

6. Welsh Hero

Welsh Hero Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2016
    Got a feeling this arc may be the last

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Most likely. 25 issues seems to be the standard length they are going to give most of their ongoing series with the acception being the main line which will probably last for years and years and years.

Ending it leading into TFA is a nice and neat stopping point anyhow. Which also opens up a slot to start up a brand new ongoing series that will have more correlation to things we learn in TLJ.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Finally got around to reading issue 20. Took 20 issues but they finally put out a genuinely good one:

• Good use of prequel stuff, as well as a "follow up" on a prequel species/organization
    • Loved the use of a tour group in the beginning
    • Actually seeing Lor San Tekka, plus the promise that storyline may actually go somewhere now after being on pause for a year and a half
    • The shield cape was a neat concept, and as far as I can tell, first time I've seen that used
    • Interesting Force artifact, even if just one or two lines of dialogue
    • Good droid development between their superstition, the need for the pilots to appease them rather than just order them around, and BB-8's girlfriend

Wasn't real big on the relationship drama aspect, and I thought it was laughable that the Resistance actually does only have a dozen pilots, but... I can roll with those.

My big complaint is that Unzueta's art isn't that great, especially when drawing faces. There were some here and in the last few issues that looked kind of like the little character profile icons from early Blizzard games.

9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Great new issue.

Lovely to see prequel elements used, and Leia speaking about Padmé was wonderful -- she's clearly learned about her over the years. The reference Leia makes about keeping Padmé's gowns for her "granddaughter, if I ever have one" is curious. Very interesting that she specifies "granddaughter" -- it seems like she's really set on returning Ben to the family.

And so cool to see her with a blaster again.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  10. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Loved it, the best one since a long time!

I just love the PT stuff. Leia talking about Padme, the B2s, Cato Neimoidia...I just love it! I want to see more PT species and worlds during the ST! It's a big step to connect those eras! The thing about the force is awesome, too! I see a great potential for other storys in the Old Republic era. I have the feeling the ST will end just with one force. The dark side and the light side together as it was in the past.

Was the first dress Padmes dress from ATOC during the "I don't like sand" scene?

11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Loved that issue. I was starting to loose interest but the last arc really rekindled it for this series.
    - PT connections everywhere! From Leia owning Padme's clothes. Cato Neimodia, Neimodians, B2 super battle droids. Leia was told stories of Padme by people who knew her? Is that a hint to a future story?
    - The Kazerath device is an interesting concept. There was a time when both light and dark were united. I definitively think ths has something to do for the ST (movies probably won't go in as much detail as other medium, just small hints). I wonder if that comes from the Lucasfilm or was it Soule's idea?
    - Art is getting better and better every issue.

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I think the issue is giving us huge hints about things we may learn in TLJ, but that's just me...

13. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Far and away best issue from story and art

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    You know me, I loved this issue.
    (please don't end!)

15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Very good issue. Yeah there definitely seemed to be a lot of hints in this issue for the future direction the movies are going to go in.

I'm guessing Tekka takes Poe to Jakku once they rescue him.
    Coherent Axe as far as Leia's granddaughter comment well there is a certain topic that seems to be gaining more and more steam as we get closer to the movie but is frowned upon here. So I won't say what it is. But it does have some nice fan art made for it.

16. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    According to Poe Dameron's Flight Log, Poe arrives on Jakku alone in his X-wing, and wanders around the village for a bit until Tekka finds him. So presumably they go their separate ways to rendezvous later, or something. Maybe "the map is safe with the Church of the Force. See me at these coordinates".

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Thanks. I havn't gotten that yet. Might have to get it off of amazon. There is just so much coming out these days. People who want to collect everything are going to have to build their own library. A single room to put Star Wars books in isn't going to do it with how quickly things are coming out now.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm pretty sure the look of Cato Nemoidia was based on its appearance in TFU II, which is a nice little callback.

Dr. Steve Brule and kalzeth like this.
  19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Hey.

[​IMG]

Some Rava fan art. Or is it Reyva? Or maybe you prefer Jeyva?

20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Just a wild issue:

Seeing Leia in a Naboo-inspired outfit locking up Padme's clothing on Cato Neimodia in front of SBDs as she talked about Kylo was weird and perfectly connected the three sagas.

[​IMG]

And this art is to die for.

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    With how strongly this series seems to be finishing up I'm wondering if it would have been better to structure the story a little differently. Though the past four or five issues has been really strong the series definitely was having to jog in place for about the first three arcs to avoid going past TFA in the timeline. Maybe it would have been better to do some timeskips during the series. For instance the beginning could have been when Poe was living with his parents and his mom teaching him to fly. Second arc could have dealt with Shara Bey's death. Third arc could have dealt with Poe joining the resistance and the final arc could have been what we are currently reading.

Until the restrictions get taken off the ST time period doing a series the way this one was done is going to be challenging. It was fun getting a lot of development of many of the other characters of Black Squadron (something we likely wouldn't have gotten if they did a bunch of timeskips) but at the same time because they placed the whole series so close to the TFA time period many of the issues we got ended up being filler.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    The comics don't really exist just to fill gaps in the timeline, though (and gaps left purposefully, at that). It's filler to have stories developing Black Squadron, but not filler to have stories developing Poe's backstory (that we already got in Shattered Empire, Before the Awakening, and Flight Log)? Aside from the need to learn the exact circumstances leading into TFA, the stories have all been fun, interesting, and imaginative to me. The old Rogue Squadron comics weren't desperately trying to tie-in with the timeframe of the novels; these sorts of comics should be purely for the adventures.

Vthuil and redxavier like this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Poe Dameron #22 preview.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Without getting into spoilers, some of the stuff in the TLJ Visual Dictionary (not to mention TLJ itself) make me wonder just how much longer this comic has to it.

That being said, Oddy Muva of all things got a shout-out in the TLJ VD. I think maybe the only thing from this comic that did.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012