main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #26-31: The Awakening (6/6 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by iPodwithnomusic, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Man, that's a great scene, and it even builds off the equally awesome scene in the TLJ novelization.

And Poe's

"It felt amazing, like I was really tapping into something" sounds curious. Maybe the Force tree hasn't been forgotten after all.

Hopeless likes this.
  2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    At first, I didn't like this series too much. But as it progressed, I began to realize that Terax and the storyline was very important. In a way, this series covers a small bit as to why the First Order was dangerous. Unbeknownst to us, the First Order pulled a Rebels by doing the small things at the beginning as they built their forces up after ROTJ/Battle of Jakku. It's so subtle, but its there. As we move on into the future, and other works start coming in, this will become more apparent.

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Oof that preview.

4. jeykey

jeykey Jedi Master

Jun 27, 2013
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    "Torture buddies." Oh, Poe. Never change. [face_laugh]

AdmiralWesJanson and Darth Pipes like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Please tell me that reads better in context because, as it is? It's up there with Rocket Raccoon's short-lived catch-phrase of 'blam! I murdered you!' for an incredibly bad idea.

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm still waiting for issue #26 and #27 didn't arrive today either. My comic shop is usually pretty good about getting things on time but for some reason has been having trouble with the Poe series the last couple issues. Other people who get the Poe comic there as well are having trouble receiving the last couple issues also. The shop says they have been ordering them but the distribution centers havn't been sending the last couple issues to them.

Do Distribution Centers sometimes skip over shops if they don't have a lot of people getting the issues there? The guy that works there said there are five other people getting the Poe comic as well there.

I guess it also may just have to do with the fact that there have been a few different people working there over the last six months to a year and they may just not be running things as smoothly as previous people did. That could have something to do with it also.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  8. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    My local shop didn't get it either. Last week it didn't get the SWA #10 but that came this week. Hopefully Poe #27 will be there next week... Is it common for some shops to get the issue one week and others the next? Last week was the first time it had happened to me. There were times the shop didn't receive an issue but those instances seemed to happen to everyone..

9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    For the most part my shop has always been real good about getting it day of release. Occasionally it would come a week late but this situation seems to be the first time it has been multiple weeks late.

Darth Kickass likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One of the occasional hazards of buying monthlies is that Diamond will, every now and again, screw your shop over and not deliver certain issues - even when the issue is out that week.

The best way to help your local is to commit to a pull list - they order, you buy - but even pull lists have no defence against Diamond not delivering the books!

When I was buying, if a book didn't make it the week it was out, it arrived next week.

Darth Kickass likes this.
  11. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Great issue!

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The really interesting thing in this issue was
    the in-story discussion of whether Poe is actually Force-sensitive. It's hinted at rather strongly in his dialogue about "tapping into something" during the Takodana battle, and the Force tree from Shattered Empire does indeed get a mention. Poe himself pooh-poohs the idea, but not in a particularly convincing fashion. Nothing is definitively settled either way, but at the very least the discussion of Poe's near-superhuman abilities in a starfighter and what they might entail has a bit more to chew on.

Jedi Princess and Voltron64 like this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I think some speculated years ago that Han may have been Force sensitive because he was able to turn on Luke's lightsaber in ESB to cut open the Tauntaun. But then the comics had everyone using a lightsaber in that one issue, and that elite stormtrooper guy was using one, so you don't need to be Force sensitive to use one or a Jedi either is what I think Disney is trying to say.

IMO, especially with Leia's dialogue to back me up, is we're all a little Force sensitive and the question is how much or how little. I guess the question is - will Poe's Force ability come into play in Ep 9 and how much? My guess is no and very little. With JJ running the show, it's time to button things up and not introduce more mystery. ROTJ answered most of our burning questions, and I hope Ep 9 does the same.

15. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Didn't that discussion about Han get re-opened when TFA showed him, seemingly wthout even realizing he was doing it, aim at and blast a stormtrooper that not only didn't he see, he straight-up didn't even know was there? [face_devil] Actually I get what you (and Leia) are saying though, and I don't disagree. I just thought it was interesting that the question was brought up in the issue so directly.

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm not going to spoil it because it's not a major part of the story, not to mention it's something that's been speculated on since 2015.

I don't really like the idea of Poe being Force-sensitive. Especially if that Force sensitivity came from growing up next to a magic tree. Is it really anything that would add anything to his character instead of just be a gimmick? I mean, maybe Jyn Erso is Force sensitive because she grew up wearing a kyber crystal necklace. That's just as ridiculous and as extraneous to the character.

Anyway, not as solid an issue as the previous one. The bits on the Falcon were probably the best part. Seeing another recap of a scene from TFA and a flashback to how Snap scouted out Starkiller Base just wasn't as interesting as seeing Poe escape from Jakku. To be honest I'm not looking forward to another issue worth of TFA recap next month, either. At least after that we'll be seeing new stuff again.

vong333 likes this.
  17. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    The new canon has generally shut down the idea that everyone is either "force-sensitive" or "not force-sensitive". It takes some time to work away from the "you either have it or you don't" mindset Legends had, but that seems to be what they're doing. It's more of a spectrum here.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Can you give some examples of that? Because that's not been my experience of things I've seen in the new canon at all.

And it's not like that was the case in the old EU, either, all the way back to WEG, or even the original Marvel run where it was essentially implied in a few issues that anyone could be trained to become a Jedi.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Falcon stuff is great even if it is just chatting but it's solid character stuff. Interestingly, the TFA recaps are actually just some (very nice) splash pages and we're getting mostly new stuff. Snap's recon mission hadn't been covered anywhere before so it was cool to see it laid out (and the big double-pace splashes of SKB really sold the scope of it). So did Snap get married in between issues or it happened and I forgot?

20. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Issue 25 showed him getting married.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yeah, I've heard some people say that, but I really don't know what gave them that impression.

22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Just got issue #27 today (still havn't gotten issue #26 yet). Marvel seems to be setting up a potential Poe and Rey romance in the future. Who knows rather that is the direction Lucasfilm will go but if they do Marvel definitely was trying to start the groundwork for it in this issue.

In regards to the Force Sensitivity thing I agree the days of it either being are you force sensitive or are you not are over. In this era lots of people I believe will have some ability to use the Force. Of course not enough to become a Jedi and all that jazz but to some degree they will be able to use it.

Will be interesting to see if we get much post TLJ scenes that are more than them simply chatting in a room getting to know each other while reminiscing about the things that happened in Ep. VII and VIII but sure would be cool if they give them a little development post TLJ. If they plan on doing a time skip between VIII and IX having a arc or two post TLJ shouldn't be any big deal (it could simply be a small adventure that focuses more on them getting used to being around each other than in fighting some big bad).

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think a timeskip is likely and there's a way they can keep the book going. Remember back in 2002/03 when the original Clone Wars adventures were just Obi-Wan and Anakin and the clones in basically their episode II gear? Probably something like that wherein they can do post TLJ stories but the look and feel of the characters and world are basically defined by TFA/TLJ and save any significant looks at the Episode IX world until, like, 4 months before the movie comes out.

Or the other option is they jump back in time and do stories based around the Resistance cartoon since Poe is in that.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  24. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    In regards to the Force Sensitivity thing, I think it's being established that being in the presence of items imbued with either the dark or light side of the Force can influence even non-Force Sensitive people. The Lando mini was one of the first to introduce the idea into the new canon, and the Star Wars Annual released today put a really cool spin on the topic as well. Maybe Jyn was influenced by the Kyber crystal she wore, maybe it was the lightsaber crystal of a powerful Jedi. Maybe Poe growing up in the presence of that tree did change him somehow..

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Meh on Poe with Rey. But if it sinks Reylo, I'd be all for it.

Not been following any of the monthlies recently, but may have to pick up this trade.

AhsokaSolo likes this.