main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #7-13: The Gathering Storm (7/7 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2016.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    After nearly giving up the series after a few pretty average issues, the last two issues did much better.
    After what TCW established about giant Kyber cristals, I'm 100% sure it has something to do about the "bad news" Poe talked about. As for the traitor, Oddy seems to become more and more suspicious, I suppose there will be some kind of twist because it's so obvious at the moment. And we learn more about Terex's past as a stormtrooper and his buddy, I wonder if they knew how to shoot.

vncredleader likes this.
  2. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    So a "good sized fleet" is not an entire fleet? I'm genuinely confused.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    So Corlac and Terrex were on Jakku for over a year eh. They likely were one of the ones that started that scavaging colony where we found Rey at close to thirty years later.

4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah there needs to be a bigger twist. I would not be surprised if Oddy becomes suspected then turns out to actually be a good guy and maybe ,if he was not the Abednedo at the end of TFA, he will get to have a heroic death and finally get to save the day.

5. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    How? He's an Imperial loyalist, who even after seeing the Empire's end first hand is immediately like, "We gotta rebuild the Empire," and he then spends the next 30 years trying to mold the First Order back to being more like the Empire.

BigAl6ft6 and panki like this.
  6. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I see him as the anti-Poe.....as fiercely loyal to the imperialists as Poe is to the resistance.....hence the obsession with a final confrontation?

P4KISTAN likes this.
  7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I agree, this issue was the best. Loved Terex here and it was great to see how is loyalty to the Empire transformed into fanaticism. It gives a lot more depth to the First Order, as in, they are not just ignorant fanboys. For people like Terex, it's how they managed to cope with reality and find a new purpose in life.

fistofan1 and panki like this.
  8. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Terex' armor got me curious... looking forward to new issues

9. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    This is easily my favorite issue of the series so far. In fact, it's near the top of my list for the entire SW Marvel run. Terex always had an engaging personality and now he has some backstory to support it. (Speaking of his backstory, I love how this issue continues in the vein of Bloodline in terms of explaining the emergence of First Order fanaticism.)

On top of that, there are tons of tidbits both in the script and the art that contribute to the sense of a growing universe. This series is making me want to dig out my copies of the X-Wing books. :p

10. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Same. Honestly this book makes me wish we were getting more stuff with the Resistance rather than more and more rebellion stories. Heck as much as I was interested in the Jedi stuff in 8 now I really am more exited for the Resistance vs FO plot.

panki and fistofan1 like this.
  11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Definitely this book is very good. Better than the ones before that for sure.

vncredleader likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    issue #7 was a fun one off, although I missed Noto on the art, while issue #7 art was good it definitely looked a little more sourced from previous materiel (Leia gives Poe a look that is quite literally just a framegrab of the look she gives Threepio in TFA). Great pace to that issue, though, with a lot of things going wrong.

issue #8 got Noto back in the art which is always great to me and I loved the look at Poe contemplating who the conspirator could be. And Terrex's backstory looks really compelling and I loved how in the final page all three plotlines are going to come together all at the same planet, so it could be cool to see Terrex's backstory influence the current story.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  13. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I'm only just getting motivated to read the new comics in anticipation of the new movie. I've gotten the main SW comics and the Vader series (and the Leia, Lando and Chewie minis) but I haven't gotten this one yet.
    Have we gotten any info on Poe's orientation yet? And yes, I know that even if he shows interest in a woman he could still be bi. I was hoping they'd actually show him being into guys though.
    Have the new comics had any LGBT inclusion yet?

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

They have been interestingly mum on Poe's orientation.

15. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I figured if Poe were gay they wouldn't show it in the comics and save it for the big screen.
    I did think if Poe's sexuality were explored in the comics I'd have had heard something. I'm sure it would've gotten attention if he were confirmed as gay or bi, but I thought they may have had him show an interest in women. That actually is promising that he's been kept unspecified so far.
    I thought it was interesting that none of the new characters showed any definitive sexual orientation at all in TFA.
    The lack of development is one reason I haven't picked up Poe's comic yet. With him being still so unexplored and with new movies with him coming out I figured the comics wouldn't be able to do anything too meaningful with him. But the talk and scans I've seen here look promising and interesting.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Endor_boy

One interesting thing is that a picture was released of Oscar and Daisy on set together and while Daisy wasn't in costume, Oscar was (a very similar outfit to the one he wore at the beginning of TFA, sans jacket), and he had a ring on a chain around his neck. This has led to speculation as to whether it's Oscar's ring, or a part of the costume and maybe Poe is married.

Endor_boy likes this.
  17. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    The Lando minisseries had a same-sex couple, and Aphra (from the Darth Vader series, who's getting her own comic next month) had something with Sana Starros, according to the main SW comic. Poe's orientation hasn't really gotten mentioned in any way shape or form, tho.

Endor_boy likes this.
  18. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I did go ahead and pre ordered the first two Poe TPBs, thanks for all the helpful feedback guys!
    \

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The book doesn't exactly flesh out Poe's character aside from what we've seen in TFA (quippy Best pilot in the resistance) but I think the worldbuilding and team dynamic and a really interesting baddie (and great art) and just cool scene and story structure with nifty reveals makes the series as good as it is.

20. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Finally I got the newest issue and catching up to some comics. It's the best issue in this series, easily. I get really hyped up when I see these Jakku scenes and learn more about the empires end (which is why I can't wait for Empire's End the book). It's amazing to see them. We better see more of Terex and Corlac, and what happened to Corlac. Also, was that a kyber crystal? It's red in that case. You know.. sorta like starkiller base. But maybe it was something else. Just waiting for that next issue.

21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm curious about this reference to the New Republic losing a fleet. Can anyone shed more background?

--Adm. Nick

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Argh. I really wish they'd clear up the numbering on the title. Lockdown was called part 4, 5, and 6 of book one, while issue seven didn't advertise itself as part of a book, but was still called The Gathering Storm like the current book. Either way I doubt a single issue would count as a book. Of course it shouldn't matter by the time of the trade, but in the meantime it's mildly annoying. :p

24. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Today's issue was pretty good
    I liked Terex's flashback scenes, looks like we might see him acquiring ships to form the first order. I really liked seeing the Kanjiklub and the Guavian death gang, it was funny and unexpected the way C-3P0 set in motion what we see in TFA. With every issue this book sets up TFA better and better.

JoinTheSchwarz and Kylun like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For what's worth, if you prefer OHC format, it is likely there will be one but will probably be late 2017.

Endor_boy likes this.