main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #7-13: The Gathering Storm (7/7 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2016.

1. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Excellent issue once again. I love this series.

Kylun likes this.
  2. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I sort of gave up on this series but the last three issues have been really good. Moving the book away from the Tekka mystery and towards Terex's past has been a nice shake up.

DelRiego and redxavier like this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm having difficulty caring about what is essentially a space fascist's mid-life crisis.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I have given up on this but might TPB it. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't get why people are "giving up" on this series; I continue to find it extremely enjoyable. It's not like the pacing for the Lor San Tekka search is any different from what one could expect (though the biggest gripe I have about it is the modern trade arc structure).

BigAl6ft6, Kylun and Sinrebirth like this.
  6. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    So, anybody else see the Kanjklub cameo last issue?
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1 and Kylun like this.
  7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    What I'm wondering is exactly how "ongoing" this series is going to be. The Kanjiklub / Guavian cameos from last issue reinforce that we must be really close to TFA by now. I wonder if this series will be 12-and-out like Kanan was, if they're going to tell flashback stories, or how they'll proceed. I doubt that they'll venture into the post-TFA galaxy (but I've been wrong before).

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think the answer to that question is going to depend on the plot of Episode VIII.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They should do flashback stories if it doesn't ruin the flow of the series.
    Don't jump back in time for an arc after an arc that ends on a cliff-hanger.
    Okay, the whole series is a cliff-hanger but point stands.
    If they can segue to a story in the past or to another squad mate or whatever, do it.

10. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I doubt it would happen, but it would be cool if they did an Empire's End tie-in issue.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    We'll get atleast 13 issues
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Poe_Dameron_Volume_2:_The_Gathering_Storm

spicer likes this.
  12. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    My comic shop's newsletter had a small piece on this tweet** by Charles Soule, made the day Carrie Fisher passed away:
    (**potential spoilers for issue #14 / the next arc)
    [​IMG]
    I have actually fallen behind on this series, so I have no guesses as to whose funeral it may be -- although, if issue #14 is the start of a new arc, it may be for a character we haven't even met yet, or just an appropriate staging for the plot.

13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I thought this was dumb. So it turns out that the whole reason the Kanji Klub and the Guavian Death Gangsters found out Han was double-crossing them and decided to team up and get him was because they happened to both be in the same bar that Threepio, BB-8, and Poe happened to wander into, during the search for Lor San Tekka, and listen to Threepio give an exposition-dump about Han. That's the sort of universe-shrinking with unlikely character meshing that was one of the more eye-rolling aspects of the old EU.

14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    What a surprise these last 3 issues have been. I was all set up to complain about this series after the Grakkus arc and then these go and be among the best comics to come out in a while. I love the worldbuilding and character development (both Terrix and Poe) going on here, and I've always liked Noto's art.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Does it shed any light on the galactic situation between the 3 factions in TFA?

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    There's a bit. Don't remember the specific issues, but:

The First Order and Resistance are technically at peace - Poe's X-wing squadron fly past a First Order patrol to try to get a response, but the Order doesn't care because they're not being attacked, so Poe's squadron comes back around and fires on them first to get the reaction they wanted.

In the issue with Poe's reporter girlfriend, Poe implies that to the Republic, officially the Resistance doesn't exist and is no more than a rumor, and Leia's whereabouts are unknown to the NR.

The most recent story with young Terex flashbacks seems like it's setting up how the First Order gets ships leftover from the former Empire, but seems pretty clearly like it's going to be a criminal double-switch.

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I care cuz I'm getting a kick outta it but I will admit, that is a genius quip way to look at it.

But, hey, space fascist mid-life crisis does involve, like, blasters and droids and stuff. And I am enjoying the post-Jakku flashbacks immensely. I don't sympathize with Terex but I am finding it compelling baddie building. Heck, I'd say so far he's probably the best original baddie in the Marvel canon run so far.

redxavier and Kylun like this.
  18. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  19. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    As stupid, pointless, and making-a-reference-for-the-sake-of-making-a-reference as it would be, please, please, please, please, please let that BX-series commando droid have syringes that allow it to drain the life blood of organic in order to fuel it. Please.

20. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I really like the character development that C3P0 has evidently had from the original trilogy to sequel trilogy, shown a bit in The Force Awakens and especially on display in this comic. While he's still a bit prissy he's gone from being mostly an interpreter and a rather timid droid, to showing a boost in confidence and now has responsibilities and a take charge attitude. Something I totally didn't expect and didn't know I wanted!

21. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    As a huge fan of droids and someone who thinks they deserve some more spotlight, I have been loving this story arc. And now it just got 10x better. :D

I've been wanting to see a heroic commando droid for a loooong time. This is really cool.

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

What would this be a reference to?

23. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Darth Vader. If I remember correctly it had something to do with triple zero and a batch of commando droids that he had claimed to modify in such a way. I can't remember if that panned out to be nothing more than a bluff on his part to scare some combatants, or actually having happened now though.

Karl0413 and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003

Sorry for the lazy review, but I'm doing this from memory and unfortunately, it isn't as good as it used to be.

So last time Poe got shot I guess, but he's OK! Thank God! Obviously, I'd need to go back and re-read #9, but I remember some kind of cliff hanger, but with already knowing that Poe is going to be ok, it didn't have the impact I guess it should have.

Concerning our heroes, we get the LotR's treatment. Poe and the gang go from A to B with droid help, Oddy gets separated and left behind. That's about it.

As for the bad guys, we get more Terex background which was semi interesting. Terex kills his business partner aka his fellow stormtrooper buddy 27 years prior to current events because he overheard him talking to their other random business partners about killing Terex. Then there was a scene with him being brought First Order armor and ruling over the Rancs. I was kind of lost. I suppose this was still in the past.

Back in the present, Snoke and Hux and Phasma and Kylo Ren all get name dropped in one throw away sentence by Terex who proceeds to take his ship, The Carrion Spike, which is confirmed to be the same ship once owned by Tarkin, away from his commander with the Rancs at the helm. He orders the citizens of Karrak to capture Poe for a reward. How they all knew who Poe was immediately didn't make sense, but it's later revealed that even though Terex mad that announcement, the Rancs ensured that he was not harmed so Poe was allowed to get back to his ship.

The issue ends showing Terex with a stockpile of new and old ships in a hanger and we're led to believe he's about to give chase. So space battle next issue or will it be a more covert? Is Oddy really going to do any good on his own, or is he an agent of evil? See you all next month!

25. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    my thoughts about #10
    Who the hell was that pathetic guy starring in this issue and what happened to Poe Dameron?
    This doppelgänger complained all the time. He was rude to the droids. Yep you read that right - Poe "BB my friend" Dameron called droid a thing and then complained. Totally destroyed C3PO network. Was ungrateful little ***. And then complained some more. Oh and also he decided that his ONLY friend and ally he could trust in his whole squadron must be left behind, without even a special message. And then of course complained.
    I mean Terex backstory was kinda interesting but his actions on Kadak seemed over complicated.
    This comics series has its ups and downs but this one was a joke...

vncredleader likes this.