main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron & Rey and their dynamic moving forward in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Yes. I like this idea and well done remembering that the last known Force tree is still there. A scenario like this would also bring the saga back to its roots and to the original Rebel base.

panki and Jazz9276 like this.
  2. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Interesting about the shield thing. I didn't know about that in the game. Hmmm, hints?

Yavin IV was previously set up as Luke's temple, so it would make sense. And let Kylo pout. Given what he did he needs to learn his lesson on not deceiving others.

I can totally see them exploring and growing a friendship in the books, but major romantic overtures would be from the movie.

Honestly I hope we do get something romantic from those two.

panki likes this.
  3. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Romantic or not the bound between the two will grow, I do believe that the new Rebellion will setlle back on Yavin IV; it just makes to much sense to to go there, base already there, Poe Dameron home, a perfect stop to regroup before the next attack. As to Rey and Poe I look forward to whatever material we are given in novels in the lead up to Episode IX.

panki likes this.
  4. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003

Another example of the bad writing. I am sure Rian Johnson never read TFA novelization, if he had, the dialogue between Rey and Poe would have been different. Smh.

This has all been done before in the old EU with Jacen and Jaina Solo (Kylo and Rey, of course Rey is not related to Kylo). Jaina marries Jagged Fel, the ace pilot (Poe)

5. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Yeah, but the difference with Jagged and Mania is that he was more stiff than Poe is, and Jaina is more Han then Rey. But I do see the similarities there.

And regardless of a romance, I do think that, given the whole use of cuts to imply a force connect between Ben and Rey, they were also imply g one with Poe and Rey based on the cuts between them.

panki, Jazz9276 and Ben-Solo like this.
  6. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003

I did not notice those cuts between Poe and Rey. Will look for them when I watch it again this weekend (I am a glutton for punishment)

7. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Am I the only one still holding out hope for Rey and Finn, or is this hope lost now (or ever there to begin with)? Especially as Rose is on the scene.

8. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    It's fast but, when he first gets the tracker, we see her with it, I think that there may have been one when he nearly gets blown up. They are short.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  9. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

Felt the same.

Though it does kind of serve a purpose, now at least you've seen them meet and since IX is probably gonna be a few years later you can skip building a dynamic between them and just pick a dynamic that feels right for the story.

10. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    No, it's still an option, since he didn't return the kiss. So Finn is certainly still an option.

11. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    There is also the instance where Snoke tortures Rey, she screams....and the scene cuts to Poe waking up calling out startled and glances briefly at his left hand before looking around and at Leia (Leia removes the tracker from his left hand shortly after).

Ben-Solo likes this.
  12. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I think the moment Rose kissed Finn, the Rey relationship became strictly platonic

13. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I am personally not excited about Rey and Poe at all. [face_tired]

14. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I am because there are so many directions the character arc could go because of the positions they will be needed to arise to; Poe will most likely become the defacto leader of the Resistance; in which is amazing knowing he left the Republic to fly for General Leia Organa (TFA Visual Dictionary); And Rey she now is tasked with facing Ben Solo one last time and she is also as was Luke Skywalker in "Return of the Jedi" a defacto leader although most of her character arc will be revolving around Ben in IX. But that Poe and Rey interactions increase is perdictable.

Darkspellmaster, panki and oncafar like this.
  15. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

I'll be curious to see where JJ goes with them, but I really doubt their interactions will be anywhere near as big of a deal as some are anticipating it to be. IX is going to be the closing chapter of the trilogy after all, and they've literally only just met two-thirds of the way in. We'll see more interaction between them, I'm sure, but it won't be a big romance I think.

Like I said a few days ago, if Rey and Poe were to ever hook up, it'd probably happen after Episode IX in a comic or a novel.

16. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I wonder now what part the comics will have it may take a few months, but I can see especially in Poe Dameron's comic his story arc change or manifest into the person he is now;

panki likes this.
  17. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    Not just predictable but an inevitability. Especially when they've had 2 movies building up Rey to finding her place as a hero for the Resistance, and she hasn't had a chance to actively be in the Resistance yet. I'm going to assume the last movie will be where it really focuses on her being a part of it.

I'm almost into the idea of Kylo getting wind of a Poe/Rey thing and the jealousy it would bring on. Lmao like Poe not only bonded with Leia like a mother and son, and then if he earns Rey's love on top of that? Welp. People always tried to compare rey/kylo to Phantom of the Opera, well maybe there was a stealth Raoul character waiting in the wings all along. [face_laugh]

It doesn't even need to lean on some soapy love triangle angle, more like it helps to highlight what a difference a person's choices make. And it is about choice and personal responsibility.

A friend and I were chatting about how we hope episode 9 features Rey, Finn, Rose and Poe really relying on each other as a unit and a family, and being markedly different from how much of a mess Kylo has become from isolating himself and destroying what few bridges of family and connection he had. Poe/Rey would slot into that theme really well.

18. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015

Yup and I think she glanced at it prior to her seeing Ben with the force bond. It's interesting that every time either was in trouble it cut between them to that beacon. And when Poe took it, it was right before she made contact with Ben for a second time, I think. I'm trying to remember because I've only see it once. The other interesting thing about the Beacon is that Rey is holding the Mated pair. Meaning that the homing beacon that Poe is wearing is the only one that will transmit to Rey and vice versa. So if that thing were to break it means that there would be no way for Rey to get back.

The Phantom thing is kind of an interesting reference. In the story the Phantom becomes obesssed with Christine not for love but more as a muse for his music. He pretty much wants her to only sing for him, to be only his muse and to be his voice to the world. Which Christine wants to reject but she's scared of him. Raoul is pretty young too, a recently returned navy officer. He actually tracks down Christine when she leaves town, and puts his own life at risk when the Phantom starts to try to drive him away. Phantom kills his brother too, and even with all that, he goes to help Christine, leading her to show love to the Phantom and him to realize that Raoul genuinely loves her for her and not for her voice. So he lets them go due to Christine.

In a way I can see it. And even if they have had limited time together, we're probably going to have a time skip with a novel being the in between.

laurethiel1138, Jazz9276 and panki like this.
  19. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    In the light of the Poe Dameron comic continuing beyond the Lor San Tekka arc, we could hypothetically get 2 years worth of stories of Poe going on missions with Rey as part of the resistance....so by the time we get to episode 9, they would have got to know one another pretty well. Of course, this all depends on whether there is a time jump between episode 8 and 9.

Poe and Rey also share interests such as flying and droids, and are already connected by three important people in their lives- Finn, Leia and BB-8. The potential to create a fun and excellent relationship in episode 9 is there...now it depends on whether the writers want to take that route.

20. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Agree. There are many factors and avenues that the story group if the choose can continue to develop the dynamic between them. The comic is the most obvious, or a novel. I look forward to reading two things, the script and the novelization of TLJ. Both those may lend us deeper insight into there interactions in TLJ and give us a firm foundation to build off for the future.

A time jump I believe is necessary between TLJ and IX not just for this dynamic to grow but also to fully tell the next story in the trilogy.

panki likes this.
  21. Jazz9276

Jazz9276 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 19, 2016
    https://www.bustle.com/p/did-kylo-r...ore-answered-by-director-rian-johnson-7616482

panki and Ben-Solo like this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think it's just that the two actors have natural chemistry with each other. I won't be surprised if JJ doesn't develop a romantic subplot between Poe and Rey.

Yora, StormScavenger and Ben-Solo like this.
  23. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    This is interesting to hear the writer/director talk about the similarities between Poe Dameron and Han Solo; in reference to it being an after thought. But that it was used is telling as he states himself. He even states it as "sexual tension"; one thing I think we really need to look more at it's context in that moment is how the novel and script will read. There's always more exposition than we see on scene.

Thanks Jazz9276 for finding this

and from Oscar and Daisy a little bit about Christmas from 2015 ~ the chemistry is pretty evident

KSennia, Luke'sSeveredHand and panki like this.
  24. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Don't you guys think it's a little too late in the game for a Poe/Rey love story?

They spent 95% of two movies without acknowledging the others existence. Now they're going to develop a love story out of nowhere? It's bad enough that Rian rushed the kiss between Rose and Finn which is why no one is excited about that relationship.

I still find it incredibly odd the way Lucasfilm handled Finn and Rey's relationship after being central to TFA.

25. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Too late, not really because with all the time (two years) between now and the next film and the way canon is now setup; a relationship/dynamic can be developed through novels/comics if they decide and then we can see the payoff in the film; this has already occured a few times in new canon already. Does that mean it will who knows but it's fun to speculate about especially when the writer hints to it as a possibility.

Remember the Rey and Ben stuff after The Force Awakens, see where that is now and how that dynamic was addressed by Rian in VIII. At this point anything is possible.

panki likes this.