main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron & Rey and their dynamic moving forward in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Would be nice if it did. Abrams had the meet cute filmed in his first movie. I'm pretty sure Oscar tested with Daisy, so there was a reason that moment was put in there in the first film.

So then why bother to do the meeting twice, and film it in that way?

Ben-Solo likes this.
  2. StormScavenger

StormScavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2015

Agreed. I'd like to see Rey and Poe interact more in IX, but I didn't see anything from TLJ that would suggest a romantic subplot in IX. Not saying it's a no go, but...I just don't see it.

Even if JJ does what RJ did with Finn and Rose and has Poe and Rey bond, maybe go on a side quest where they know each other more and then kiss at the end of IX, I don't see how that could develop a love story that doesn't come off as rushed or shoehorned in.

And don't get me started on the Rose and Finn kiss.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  3. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Not really. Leia and Han's relationship didn't really get off the ground till the end of Empire, and RotJ. So why would it be any different here?

Not to mention, They already have two connections. Finn and BB8.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  4. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Comics certainly help, as do novels. Not to mention the fact that Leia and Han also had a rushed courtship. Question is can Oscar and Daisy sell it. Plays and most adventure movies tend to have a rushed love story.

If we can have Reylo coming out of a few minutes of time with Adam and Daisy, then Damerey can come out of a few moments of a beacon, reactions and a meeting. Plus what little in TFA.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  5. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    The difference with Han and Leia is that they had THREE movies to develop their relationship.

It's in no way similar.

cbsnswf2390 likes this.
  6. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Not really. Han and Leia meet for a few moments, and most of her time is withLuke.

7. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    That's still 3 movies.

All Rey and Poe did in TLJ was introduce themselves to each other, which doesn't even make sense. They shared scenes in 3 different scenes in TFA, how the hell did Rian overlook that?

cbsnswf2390 and StormScavenger like this.
  8. Gambit00

Gambit00 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2014
    I would be surprised if Rey and Poe became romantic. But it's not impossible. Yes, they just now met but assuming there is a time jump, a lot can happen. If we're comparing Han and Leia, their dynamic at the end of ANH is different than what you see at the beginning of ESB. A lot of development happened off screen. It's possible that's what happens with Rey and Poe. But IF they are going to become a couple then I would guess in IX it would be less overt but maybe enough indication to the audience that there is something developing between them, then by the end of the film show us that they will be together if they aren't already. Of course that's a big IF.

9. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I can't wait for the novel's release...would love to read Rey's thoughts during her interactions with Poe, Kylo and Luke in particular....and once the DVD is released, I want to hear the whispers that attracted Rey to the ancient jedi tree (whether anything interesting was being said)

I would not dismiss a Rey and Poe relationship... at the end of TFA, most assumed Rey and Finn were the romantic pair.... at the end of TLJ, people are now talking about Rey and Kylo's intense interactions and that they could be end game, or the cute interaction between Rey and Poe when they met.....so I would not dismiss any possibility just based on time spent together. Anything is possible.

Jazz9276 and Ben-Solo like this.
  10. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Yeah, I can't believe how long we have to wait for the novelization I think it's March or something; by that time we may already have new spoilers of IX possibly; that may lend credence to a possible Damerey connection, and or dynamic.

panki likes this.
  11. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    From Screenrant: About the question of Poe and Rey:

The two finally meet at the end of The Last Jedi, and whether it’s a mutual appreciation for their flying, or mutual attraction, their lingering looks and quizzical smiles hint at something more to be explored in Episode IX. It would create a rather testing love triangle for the final movie in this trilogy, one of Shakespearean proportions, that has so far not played out since the Star Wars franchise was restored in 2015.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-romance-rey-poe-finn-rose/

The similarites between this scene, and that of the "Throne Room" scene in "A New Hope" are interesting. The wink.. the look and the budding relationship off screen.

DARTHSHAME and panki like this.
  12. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    That brings up a good point on not discounting anything. Even with the OT there were hints of Leia and Luke and Leia and Han, and even some of Leia and Lando.

If we didn't know where the PT was headed, you may have an argument for Obi Wan and Padme.
    Han and Leia had off screen stuff and splinter of the eye, becoming non cannon, pretty much sold the idea of Leia and Luke. There was even a kiss filmed with Carrie and Mark. So discounting Poe and Rey is odd.

panki likes this.
  13. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    These two need to be on a mission together in Episode 9. Rey, Poe, Chewie and BB-8 in the Falcon together.

Jazz9276 and Darkspellmaster like this.
  14. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    I’m sure BB8 ships them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    Lol it wouldn't be out of nowhere. The beginning of TFA features Rey meeting his droid, and not even a day later she's valiantly fighting on Poe's behalf when she thinks someone stole Poe's jacket. They have a weird number of visuals and experiences paralleling and connecting each other. This is a different kind of trope where the two characters have been orbiting each other and sharing similarities all without realizing it, and the trope usually means once the characters do meet and discover all these similarities and coincidences connecting them it makes falling into the relationship very easy. We also know these two characters very well - there isn't the burden of having to introduce a character first like with FinnRose.
    It's maybe not unlike how supposedly the "point" of GoT is Jon and Daenerys coming together finally after 6 years, after their story lines have mirrored each other for a long time without them ever knowing the other exists (though maybe a bad example at least for me since I view them as perfect foils destined to clash, not perfect romantic partners but anyway).

MattOrgana, Jazz9276, panki and 3 others like this.
  16. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    What I have trouble understanding is why not just give that storyline to Finn and Rey? They had a central relationship in TFA. They were each others first friend and were willing to die for. They were on each others mind throughout TLJ until they reunited with a warm embrace. It seems like the obvious direction to take that relationship given what they set up in TFA. You don't have to jump through hoops to make their love connection feel natural like you would for Poe/Rey and Kylo/Rey.

17. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017

There are no hoops need to jump through for the dynamic of Poe and Rey to be more than just friends; adjustments were made to Force Awakens by JJ Abrams because of what Rian wanted in The Last Jedi; one of these scenes or interactions was one that involved Rey and Poe. It was added and expanded on in TLJ, I understand it's only 30 seconds but the similarities are there; even Rian refers to this.

So to just letting Rey and Finn happen, Rian and the story group had other ideas and that door pretty much closed when Rose kissed Finn, and then Finn cared for Rose on the Falcon; kinda like how the Ben Solo/Rey possibility should've closed with the separate paths established after the Supremacy encounter, they each made there choice, then again Rey closed the door on that on the Falcon literally at the end of the film

18. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    I sympathize with this too because I'm very fond of FinnRey. But at the same time I personally think the story is better served further developing FinnRose, who I also loved (and am becoming increasingly protective over when a lot of nastiness is being flung Rose and Kelly's way simply because she has this relationship with Finn (tumblr is being god awful about this right now and it's making me nauseous). And I don't think the solution to people complaining about that relationship's development is to just drop it and leave our first major female character of color in Star Wars out in the cold - rather they should address the criticism (the few bits of constructive criticism out there anyway) and build up the relationship more.

And they really wouldn't have to jump through hoops for PoeRey. They have an abundance of organic reasons to like each other and the chemistry is there.

19. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    There are a lot of little things that could be considered foreshadowing of their importance in the other person's life even in TFA (whether as friends or more) like Poe saying the lines- "I'll come back for you" to BB-8 and Rey hearing someone say those lines to her in the novelisation version of her vision, Poe and Rey getting frozen in place when shooting a blaster at Kylo and get captured, both tell Finn while flying that they need to get back to Jakku (which leads to Finn making the funny comment about everyone wanting to go back to Jakku), both make sassy/rude remarks about Kylo's mask when face to face with him ...there are a lot more such funny parallels, especially in their dialogues.

This trend continues into TLJ with Rey chasing Luke around Ahch-to trying to get him to fight for the resistance, secretly connects with Kylo and finally getting impatient and angry, attacking Luke and running off with the jedi books and finally her plan doesn't go as she imagined with negative consequences....Poe chases Holdo around the Raddus trying to find out her plan for the resistance, connects with Maz and sends Finn and Rose on a secret mission, finally gets impatient and angry, starts a mutiny and takes over the Raddus and his secret mission plan doesn't go as planned and has negative consequences.

Poe has also heard stories of the jedi with Leia telling him stories of Obi-wan etc (in the Poe Dameron comics), while Rey was obviously in awe of the resistance (and Poe's image is the one used on resistance recruitment posters according the the SW Propaganda book) and pilots (the little orange pilot doll Rey in Rey's AT-AT) so it would make sense that they would have a mutual admiration of the other.

I love Finn and Rose together.... the pure admiration and devotion she has for him is adorable...and he was a nice mix of funny, heroic and tender around her....I loved their dynamic.

20. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015

Let's see: A New Hope, the scenes they had together. Leia insults Chewie, Leia tells Han he's a jerk and that she'll get him his money, the last moment when they both get back and she Hugs Luke, and the giving of the medal.

ESB has the most with them getting to know one another, this AFTER she kisses Luke previously.

ROTJ, whole section where she was with Luke and got captured by the Ewoks. Only the opening has them together with her telling him she loves him and prior to that...he's frozen.

Most of her interactions were with Luke except for ESB.

TFA was supposed to have a meeting between them. So let's just say that BB8 is the connection there.

TLJ Poe and Rey meet physically for the first time on screen (in book it had already happened).

If my guess is right, JJ may have them have more screen time in EP. IX.

Really a lot of Han and Leia's romance came via the EU and the books. Other then that...it came down to Carrie and Harrison's acting. Oscar can have chemistry with a bag and Daisy can have it with a rolling ball, so it's easy to see where they could build from that.

Again, all we need are some books or Comics in the in between, which I'm sure we'll get. Not to mention the details they put into the Homing beacon that Rey has, saying that the only one is the one that Poe carries with him and that they are mated pairs.

laurethiel1138, panki and Ben-Solo like this.
  21. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    If Poe and Rey are an item after a time jump at the start of Episode IX, then it's the best news for Kylo Ren and Reylo shippers that there could be. Because it would be the "I'm dating the guy who's exactly like you but not you. And sooner or later it's going to occur to me that he's not you."

It would be like Katharine Hepburn or Rosalind Russell or Irene Dunne bringing Ralph Bellamy around to let Cary Grant know that she is going to marry someone upstanding and honorable. (I'll show you, C.K. Dexter Haven!!) And it will go the same way.

Yora likes this.
  22. filmgeek32

filmgeek32 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 18, 2016

poe is nothing like kylo ren

23. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    They mirror each other so much. Both care deeply for BB8 and for Finn himself. When both see Finn they both hug him. Rey kisses Finn's head when she leaves, Poe has been keeping watch and mends his jacket. Both have lost parents, and both have a connection to the Force. Both have a connection to the Skywalkers, and Luke and Leia. You can point out some various moments in the Comics where Poe is being Very Rey like. Also if you want to get really weird, Poe flies an X-wing and Rey makes her home with a X-wing fighter pilot and doll. Even in TLJ we see her smiling down at the X-wing in a knowing way because she saw them when they landed and Poe even turned back to check on her when Chewie brought out Finn. And if I remember right, in TFA she and Poe were two of the few that made it away from the star killer base. And he probably did have to contact the Falcon to find out who was flying it.

Yeah they pretty much mirror each other's actions. One other thing is that they learn from their past choices. When Rey and Poe meet unlike when he meets Holdo Poe just says his name. He's not Commander or Captain, it's just Poe. Rey is more open to meeting him too. She doesn't act like she did with Finn, she is willing to trust and be kind when she says hi. It helps that both know Finn and BB8.

Finn and Rose are adorable. I do love Finn and Rey but I always saw them as siblings, and Finn having a crush on her more then She having romantic interest in him. That's not to mention the fact that Poe was told stories about Luke from his Mom and from his Dad who both fought with Luke and Han and Leia in the original series. And it's interesting that they're giving this much attention to Poe's back story. I know they can't for Finn or Rey, but it's interesting that they're integrating them so much into the Skywalker family.

Also, we have to Assume that Finn probably talked to Rey about Poe before Han showed up a bit. And she can understand BB8, so there's that too. BB8 could easily show Poe info on Rey based on what he recorded in his time with her. Not to mention that Poe could easily see that Leia cares deeply for the girl.

Eh, I kind of see this as a Kyp/Jaina/Jagged sort of situation. Ben is very much like Kyp, save for the Redemption and Kyp chose to attack the Empire over going over to his side. Heck they look alike! Ben tries to seduce and use Jaina and it works to a point. He gets her to help him with a plan by playing that he's interested in her, which he probably was, then basically breaks her heart by saying he used her and she spits in his face. Mean time you have Jagged Fel who at first is just friendly with her then rivals then ends up liking her and winds up marrying her.
    I don't think Ben and Poe are that much alike. The only thing that's the same is that they both care for Leia a lot. Poe is not one that reacts the same way Ben does, and seems less likely to put himself over the cause. Which is something that he needed to learn.
    The thing though is that I can't see Rey being that sly or wanting to use Poe like that. He's a lot more mature then her in some points. Also I think Finn would have something to say about that. I can see that, but I can't see her going back to Ben romantically after what he pulled on her. Again, it's like Kyp and Jaina. She shut the door on him, Jaina spit in Kyp's face, and while they worked together again, she never gave him a second glance after that.

laurethiel1138, panki and blu like this.
  24. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    I can understand that issue, but I think that given what Rian set up with Rose and Finn, it would make it harder for FinnRey. While I would have loved to have seen that pairing, I just always thought of them as siblings more then a romantic pair. I do agree that there was a huge missed option for them to reunite earlier with the whole Finn and Rose being on the same ship as Rey and they should have found one another again. But Poe had the beacon and for, whatever reason, Rey couldn't sense Finn even though she kind of did last movie. Which was odd, unless Snoke was messing with that.

Finn wasn't totally on Rey's mind, that's the problem. Rian seemed to focus on Ben and Rey, and totally ignored the fact that she would have had second thoughts of trusting him since, you know, he did slash her best friend. Rey was on Finn's mind, until around CB happened and then it was more on what Rose was saying and DJ for a while. Certainly he was happy to see her, but was worried about Rose too, and Rey noticed his attention to Rose so I wonder if she's worried that she's lost her friend or something in that moment. That's when Poe shows up and she stands out of the shadow, showing that she's maybe thinking about what Ben said, and instead we get her standing up and meeting him in the light showing that in that moment she doesn't feel alone. Also Leia with her helps too.

Same for me. I have a friend that's mixed Asian, and one thing she loved about this movie was that they were willing to do a romance between two people that you don't normally see. It's normally a white person and whatever race they pick and in this case it's a multi ethnic couple. And the fact that people were going after Kelly and her character is just stupid. Just because she kissed Finn, who in turn showed her care when hurt doesn't mean that she's a terrible character or person.

panki likes this.
  25. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Okay reading through the visual dictionary I noticed this little nugget:

"Ring necklace" (page 19.)

"Poe wears the wedding ring of his late mother, Shara Bey, on a necklace, waiting to share it someday with the right partner"

The necklace is visible numerous times throughout the film.

panki, Darkspellmaster and Jazz9276 like this.