main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends {Poetry Challenge} A Piece of Ambiguous Guidance *Jysella/OC* AU Viggie!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-Ant, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007

Title: A Piece of Ambiguous Guidance.
    Co-Authors: N/A
    Timeframe: LotF Era AU
    Genre: Viggie
    Characters: Jysella Horn + OC
    Summary: This was a viggie for the Poetry Challenge.
    Jysella Horn and Jedi Master Kizra Bastille are discussing her path in the force. Kinda cryptic.

This is and entry for the Poetry Challenge.

I must say, I pondered on this for quite some time...I wasn't really sure what to do with it.

I got poem # 27, and this is what I had to work with:

The Gipsy Trail

Rudyard Kipling

The white moth to the closing bine,
    The bee to the opened clover,
    And the gipsy blood to the gipsy blood
    Ever the wide world over.

Ever the wide world over, lass,
    Ever the trail held true,
    Over the world and under the world,
    And back at the last to you.

Out of the dark of the gorgio camp,
    Out of the grime and the grey
    (Morning waits at the end of the world),
    Gipsy, come away!

The wild boar to the sun-dried swamp,
    The red crane to her reed,
    And the Romany lass to the Romany lad,
    By the tie of a roving breed.

The pied snake to the rifted rock,
    The buck to the stony plain,
    And the Romany lass to the Romany lad,
    And both to the road again.

Both to the road again, again!
    Out on a clean sea-track --
    Follow the cross of the gipsy trail
    Over the world and back!

Follow the Romany patteran
    North where the blue bergs sail,
    And the bows are grey with the frozen spray,
    And the masts are shod with mail.

Sheer to the Austral Light,
    Where the besom of God is the wild South wind,
    Sweeping the sea-floors white.

West to the sinking sun,
    Till the junk-sails lift through the houseless drift.
    And the east and west are one.

East where the silence broods
    By a purple wave on an opal beach
    In the hush of the Mahim woods.

"The wild hawk to the wind-swept sky,
    The deer to the wholesome wold,
    And the heart of a man to the heart of a maid,
    As it was in the days of old."

The heart of a man to the heart of a maid --
    Light of my tents, be fleet.
    Morning waits at the end of the world,
    And the world is all at our feet!

---

A Piece of Ambiguous Guidance

The aging Jedi Master, Kizra Bastille, hovered high above the pebbled ground, her wrinkled legs crossed beneath her, and her eyes closed.

She could sense the uneasiness of her student, sitting opposite her in the same position, through the force, and it bothered her.

Jysella Horn had been through so much in her short life, and to a point, Kizra understood the young girl?s apprehension with what she was learning; but to question everything she was being taught was only limiting her progress that much more.

?If you could only see that by holding back, you?re stunting your growth as a Jedi,? she projected through their force-bond.

Jysella?s levitating form recoiled visibly, and her eyelids fluttered open. ?What if I don?t want to be a Jedi?? she asked, her voice shaking. ?I don?t want a life of constantly running from enemies I can?t see, of fighting in battles I know nothing about. That is not what I want for my family; my future children. Loss and suffering seems to follow a Jedi where ever they go.?

?As it was in the days of old,? Kizra murmured.

She allowed her eyelids to open as well, revealing two sparkling orbs of pale grey, which complemented the silver streaks in her auburn hair.

?What is it that you want of me?? Jysella asked, tucking a glistening strand of jet black behind one ear.

?I want for you to travel north where the blue bergs sail, and look west to the sinking sun.?

?You speak in riddles, Master Bastille.?

Kizra eyed the young appr

2. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    That's great. I really like the way you handled the poem, including the sense of wandering in your viggie. Well done, Jedi-Ant!

3. DancesWithBlasters

DancesWithBlasters Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 22, 2006
    Hmm, that's very interesting. I'm coming away from this feeling like I've learned something, but haven't quite grasped it yet. It's just outside my reach . . . . Anyway, fantastic job! I don't know how you did it this fast!

4. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    Wow, that was a tough poem to work with. In many ways a Jedi must go where needed and thus is a wanderer. I could see Jysella wondering which path to take. Mirax is such a strong non-Force sensitive that it would be just as honorable to follow her path rather than Corran's.

I can?t promise that I won?t question or disagree with things from time to time, but I can promise that I will try to find my right path, and do my best to stay on that path.?

I thought her sentiments were cool here.

Great job with a tough assignment!!! =D=

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Nice work! I like how you blended the physical sense of directions ("North" and "West") into the metaphorical sense. Jysella wonders where her life will take her, what places she will go to, but she also worries if that path is the right one for her personally. So many choices!

I like the riddles that her master uses. Very Yoda-y.

Really well done. =D=

6. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    with this poetry 8-}

that somehow resembles the Fallanassi, Akanah uses this technique right at the beginning of Joiner King can't remember what she has teached Luke though [face_blush]

I would say that depends on the POV [face_thinking]
    is it not a wise thing to stop and first understand what someone is going to learn? think it's better then learning stuff that you can't handle in the first place

maybe? maybe not?

FACPOV this is a silly statement since she can't stop being a Jedi
    even when she decides not to use the Force anymore, she will be still a Jedi
    I would say it's a little girl statement

I have no clue 'bout that 8-}

that sounds very much after a self finding trip
    the location is very vague, blue bergs sail
    but's very peotric 8-} imagine sailing mountains, a plane before it
    beautiful

she needs to learn to listen and read between the lines ;)

[face_laugh]

7. Jedi-Ant

Jan 3, 2007
    Rogue:

That's great. I really like the way you handled the poem, including the sense of wandering in your viggie. Well done, Jedi-Ant!

Thanks, Rogue! [:D]

It was a very difficult poem...I had a bit of trouble with this one, but I'm glad it seems to have worked out ok.
    :)

---

Dances:

Hmm, that's very interesting. I'm coming away from this feeling like I've learned something, but haven't quite grasped it yet. It's just outside my reach . . . . Anyway, fantastic job! I don't know how you did it this fast!

Thanks, Dances! It's interesting you say that...Mags said a similar thing to me when she first read this. And as to doing it so fast...I was worried I was being too slow with it...I've been pondering on this poem for a week or more. 8-}

---

iamobi:

Wow, that was a tough poem to work with. In many ways a Jedi must go where needed and thus is a wanderer. I could see Jysella wondering which path to take. Mirax is such a strong non-Force sensitive that it would be just as honorable to follow her path rather than Corran's.

Yes, it was a very tough poem! [face_thinking]

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and could understand where I was going with this one.
    ;)

Great job with a tough assignment!!!

Thanks, obi! [:D]

---

diva:

Nice work! I like how you blended the physical sense of directions ("North" and "West") into the metaphorical sense. Jysella wonders where her life will take her, what places she will go to, but she also worries if that path is the right one for her personally. So many choices!

Thank you so much! :D

I'm glad you understood the physical vs. metaphorical sense in the 'fic...it took me a little while to get it right.

I like the riddles that her master uses. Very Yoda-y.

Yay! [face_dancing]

I was wondering whether anyone would pick that up! That's what I was hoping to achieve...a Yoda-esce character.

Really well done.

Thanks, diva!

---

Mags:

with this poetry

Yeah, I thought the title really fit the poem, as well. :p

that somehow resembles the Fallanassi, Akanah uses this technique right at the beginning of Joiner King can't remember what she has teached Luke though

I was thinking something along those lines when I wrote this...I can't believe you picked that up :eek:

I would say that depends on the POV
    is it not a wise thing to stop and first understand what someone is going to learn? think it's better then learning stuff that you can't handle in the first place

Everything with the Jedi depends on your POV...but I agree, I think asking questions is a good way to learn...otherwise, how do you know you're learning the right thing?

maybe? maybe not?

:p

FACPOV this is a silly statement since she can't stop being a Jedi
    even when she decides not to use the Force anymore, she will be still a Jedi
    I would say it's a little girl statement

Yeah, I think Jella's struggling with the responsibility of becoming a Jedi, and not necessarily becoming a Jedi...at least, that's what I was thinking... 8-}

And what is FACPOV?? I imagine the last three letters are Point Of View...

I have no clue 'bout that

She meant as it used to be when she was young...that was the first line I had in my head when I started the 'fic...the rest just fell around it. :)

that sounds very much after a self finding trip
    the location is very vague, blue bergs sail
    but's very peotric imagine sailing mountains, a plane before it
    beautiful [/

8. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I liek teh way you're incorporating the lines of the poem into the story. And nice touch with teh Bastille name. Is the French pun intended?

9. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    Yeah, I thought the title really fit the poem, as well. :p

Hehe

I was thinking something along those lines when I wrote this...I can't believe you picked that up :eek:

you have thought ?bout that? :eek:
    wow
    *whispers* was researching JK the other day ;)

I would say that depends on the POV

Everything with the Jedi depends on your POV...but I agree, I think asking questions is a good way to learn...otherwise, how do you know you're learning the right thing?

How would you learn in the first place when you don?t ask?

And what is FACPOV?? I imagine the last three letters are Point Of View...

<Obi-Wan> So what I have told you was true... from a certain point of view. Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Yeah, those lines were my favourite in the poem...it reminded me of sailing on a ship...even though I'm afraid of water 8-}

How can you be afraid of water? You are living on an island, a big one but still an island :p ;)
    I?ve read it more like the blue bergs are the sails in the first place and when you move over a plain it can look like or seem like the mountains are moving

'cept for Yoda ;) :p

Not even he knew all and everything

Thanks. [:D]

[:D]

Thank you so much, Mags!!! :*

:D [:D] :*

10. Jedi-Ant

Jan 3, 2007
    Sil:

I liek teh way you're incorporating the lines of the poem into the story. And nice touch with teh Bastille name. Is the French pun intended?

No, it wasn't. :D

I'm glad you enjoyed the viggie! Thanks for reading!

Mags:

you have thought ?bout that? :eek:
    wow
    *whispers* was researching JK the other day

yeah [face_blush]

:eek: *whispers* really? What did you find out?

How would you learn in the first place when you don?t ask?

Hehe...:p got me there.

<Obi-Wan> So what I have told you was true... from a certain point of view. Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Oh! :oops: Silly me. 8-}

How can you be afraid of water? You are living on an island, a big one but still an island

I don't like what's IN the water...scary fish, yucky deep coral stuff...*shivers* [face_worried]

I have not trouble jumping in to my pool at home
    :D

I?ve read it more like the blue bergs are the sails in the first place and when you move over a plain it can look like or seem like the mountains are moving

That's lovely! I'm not really very good at reading between the lines of poetry, unless it spells it out for me :p Never very good with Shakspeare, either. [face_blush]

11. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    ]-}:

yeah [face_blush]

:eek: *whispers* really? What did you find out?

that Jacen is a Sith :p 8-}
    and some things more [face_mischief]

Hehe...:p got me there.

haha :D

Oh! :oops: Silly me. 8-}

Nah!

I don't like what's IN the water...scary fish, yucky deep coral stuff...*shivers* [face_worried]

I have not trouble jumping in to my pool at home
    :D

LOL scary fish? yucky deep coral stuff? you poor girl, has to live on a coast

That's lovely! I'm not really very good at reading between the lines of poetry, unless it spells it out for me :p Never very good with Shakspeare, either. [face_blush]

I never had to read such stuff, nor had I to analyse it
    but at times it's cool
    *has Shakespeare on her shelves*

- Mags

12. Jedi-Ant

Jan 3, 2007
    Mags:

that Jacen is a Sith
    and some things more

haha

:oops:

Nah!

LOL scary fish? yucky deep coral stuff? you poor girl, has to live on a coast

Yeah...it's tough

I never had to read such stuff, nor had I to analyse it
    but at times it's cool
    *has Shakespeare on her shelves*

I had to do it for English Lit. at school...loved enlish class, but always struggled with poetry and stuff.

Thanks for reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.