main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive Point Nadir.

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by IcePirate, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcePirate

IcePirate Jedi Master star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    So Resh 9376 apparantly has roughly a 20 year "orbit" and since I don't own the atlas.... yet, I'm trying to figure out where that orbit most likely is. I remember something about the Gordian Reach being nearby, but not enough to close in much further. Guesstimating, how many systems would the comet glide past with a that short of a run? (think one dimensionally and ignore the other layers).

I'm a big fan of continuity (i know... good luck to me) and am trying to fig out how to get my players to stumble upon it when they are stuck with a broken hyperdrive, practically adrift in space somewhere around the corporate sector/sith space/the gordian reach neck of the woods.

They're going to die from starvation, asphyxiation, or pirates... aren't they?

2. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Honestly, it's wherever you need it to be. They specifically avoid pinning down its orbit for a reason. Also, it doesn't have a 20 year orbit, it has a 7,241 year orbit. So really, it's anywhere you need it to be. It doesn't really enter any particular star systems, it just noodles around the Rim. You might just have your players jury-rig the hyperdrive to get another jump out of it, then come out near by. If they don't know where its path goes, it's up to blind luck anyways.

3. IcePirate

Jul 13, 2005
    then there is a misprint in the wook, stating it's in days (fixed... kinda... causing a lil debate over there). the online atlas compendium says its in the Niuri Sector (i guess that's where they decided it was at the time of whatever era the book was supposedly published in).

And the hyperdrive engine got knocked off the ship.... they were flying through an asteroid field and got hit just as they were making the jump. they made it into hyperspace, but there was a rattling noise, then a louder bang (the engine falling off). a safety device abruptly brought them back into realspace. they can't jury-rig without parts.

4. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    That would be why the hyperdrive in most vessels is located inside the ship (and why ships carry back-up drives, also located inside the ship). Remember how in Empire Strikes Back, when Han and Chewbacca were working on fixing the Falcon's busted hyperdrive, they were crawling around below the deck and such?

Anyways, if the hyperdrive is completely off the ship and floating more than a few days of subspace travel away (assuming it still isn't cruising through hyperspace forever), they are up the creek without a paddle (as in "horribly doomed") and there are only a few ways this could go down:

1) They are in an inhabited region.
    2) Some other ship finds them.
    3) There is a ruined spaceship nearby.
    4) One of the party members is an Aing-Tii Monk and warps space to get them to an inhabited region.
    5) They eventually run out of food while waiting for one of the previous options. Then they die.
    6) Comedy option: Hibernation trip TO THE FUTURE!

Everything option here is completely GM Fiat, so if you want them to find Point Nadir, then they find it.

5. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    When in doubt, deus ex machina.

6. IcePirate

Jul 13, 2005
    Take 7: This post has been ridiculously difficult to get through... If I quote you, I can't see what I'm typing. I've having to use two tabs to do this... frustrating. My Comp is being a... well... let's say it's being "inglourious".

I thought the hyperdrive contained some external parts... or am I thinking of a different system... Didn't R2 go outside Amidala's ship in Ep 1 to repair it? I thought that only some ships had a backup. if i run this campaign again, I'll need to adjust this. The hyperdrive has to break in a way beyond repair as they are being pursued while exiting an asteroid field. They should be able to make the jump but be yanked out into realspace before completing the jump without a gravity well/interdictor/etc. being the reason. in order to generate the suspense that the characters may actually die of being lost in space, they'll have to travel without the player knowledge/comfort that they'll probably survive. (they characters will lose hitpoints and temporarily steadily lose strentgh, dexterity, and constituion).

I am hoping the players decide to do the smart thing and check the only-partially-corrupted-navcomp-of-the-ship-they-stole and check for the nearest inhabited planet and head that way. Before you mentioned it, I was thinking of amalgamating options 1-3.

Since I am mostly certain that none of the players read the board... I'll spill some beans. Eventually, they will run out of food, water, med supplies, maybe fuel and spend a day or two waiting to die or be found.... and then when the suspense is at its threshhold (antici say it say it say it pation)... rescue via a pirate gang who decides that they'd make good indentured servants (they either originally stumble across point nadir and the gang "rescues" them or the gang finds them and takes them there). from there, i'm going to set it up where the players are going to want to overthrow the pirates. The players will stumble across some "finds" along the way that, if they take notice and play their cards right will lead to some great rewards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.