main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pointless, parent questions

Discussion in 'Archive: Midlands and Wales' started by Tay-Mar, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    This is one thing that's really annoyed me for years and although I am now a parent it still gets on my nerves, my wife has slipped in to this without even realising it, for example you're stood by the front door, putting your coat on and putting the house keys in your pocket and your Mother/Father ask's - Are you going out ?

Another classic, you've told your parents that you're going out, to stop the pointless 'Are you going out' question and they move to phase two and ask - Will you be back tonight ? or Have you got your keys ?

Then the ultimate, you've just been woken up at 7 in the morning and your mother/Father ask's - What would you like for tea/dinner tonight ?

Two questions, is this just a Mother thing or are Dad's just as bad ? Why in the name of all that's holy did they bring you up to be a free-thinking, fully productive member of society just to ask you pointless and quite frankly dumb questions ? I would ask my own Father about these things but I'm afraid I'd just end up sounding like him when I was small and that thought frightens me.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I've found myself saying all those things that were said to me.

They go to the park, and you say "Make sure you don't go anywhere else", when you know damned well they're going to do cos we did it as well.

I try all the tricks to stop them munching in the biscuit tin, but I know they'll find a way cos I did exactly the same.

Going on a tangent, what about pointless partner questions.

If I've had 3 cans of beer and I get up to go to the loo, as soon as my bum leaves the seat, it's "Where are you going?" Where do you think I'm going???!?!?!???

3. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    my all time most used classic:

do you want a smack?

:oops:

when they say yes, you can't bring yourself to, and just end up laughing. defuses the whole situation.

4. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    the one i love is when you are reaching to do something or are actually doing something my parents ask you to do the thing or ask if you are going to!

i mean whats the point. you can see i am doing it right now!!

the other one is when you do a verbal checklist so they know your checking you have everything and then say remind you to take the things you just checklisted out loud so they could hear.

5. Tay-Mar

Apr 4, 2005
    Yeah, that's the kind of thing. I've had a Hal moment this evening, I turned the telly over to BBC2 just before 8 and having Sky it says what's on next which was Top Gear, the wife was sitting next to me on the sofa and said 'Are you watching Top Gear then'.

I did however make a big mistake once with my mother, I went in to the kitchen and put the kettle on, I then walked back in to the front room to ask if anyone else wanted one, my mother replied 'Are you making a drink then', to which I replied 'No mom I'm shooting a pop video and I can't afford a smoke machine', to which I got a slap bearing in mind that I was about 24 when this happend.

Another classic is when I took my now wife home to see my mom and dad, she had worked with my dad for a few months and my mom had met her a couple of times, we walked in the house and mom said 'Oh so this is Rachael then', to which I said 'Yes mom it's only the third time you've met her'.

I do miss my mom but not some of the stupid things she used to say and ask.

6. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I get asked stupid questions all the time. Or with my mother, her favourite thing is to tell say things I already know, like: "You ought to wear your jacket", or "It's raining outside, you'll catch cold!". It's certainly a parental thing. You know that they're just looking out for your best interests, but I just find myself telling her to stop mothering me. After all, I'm 26 now. I'm a big boy, and I can take care of myself.

7. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    You know boys, as a mom, I find this thread highly offensive...

[face_laugh]

8. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    maybe u can take some guidence from it. hey hey PG.

9. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002

o_O

10. Tay-Mar

Apr 4, 2005
    Wendy, are you trying to tell us that you never do it ?

11. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    To be completely honest, I'm not the typical American mom. I fight with my kid as to who gets to play the PS2 next sometimes!! lol

12. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    :eek:

[face_shame_on_you]

Tsk, tsk.

Well, I at least hope it's a SW game your fighting over?

13. Tay-Mar

Apr 4, 2005
    No humours tales from Welshmom then I take it ?

Ok another all time great, it's early in the morning I've just started the van and I've been scraping the ice off the windows, I've got my coat, gloves and a scarf on, I walk back in to the house and Mom says - Is it cold out there ?

14. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005

[face_laugh]

that's like when you come into the house/shop where ever, soaking wet, and somebody asks "is it raining?" :rolleyes: (and that isn't restricted to parents)

15. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002

Of course it was, it was Battle Front. :p

16. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    A mum who plays Battle Front!

Your kids are so lucky.

Well, as long as its a SW game I suppose it's ok. ;)

I just hope that you can kick their asses at it though?

17. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    I heard that the two player mode on Battle Front II is much better to use and that is a good thing since over the holidays all my son & I want to do is play Battle Front II.

He has already claimed to play Greivous and I ge tto play as Boba Fett. [face_laugh]

See I'm not the typical mom, I dress him up as Darth Vader, take him along on 501st events, play video games with him...

I don't ask dumb questions...

Not yet anyway...

Plus my mom pulls that crap and I couldn't stand the thought of actting like my mom!! 8-}

18. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Pointless parent questions... gee where do I start... probably my all time favourite one:

Me - *Sneaking in late, drunk, trying to be quiet (like that's going to happen)*
    Dad - WHAT TIME DO YOU CALL THIS???!!
    Me - Errr *looks at clock and says whatever time it is*
    Dad - Don't be clever!!

Eh? you asked!!

Or the "Do you know what time it is?"
    Me - Yeah
    Dad - Don't be smart!

Or my Mom when I was going out somewhere miles away:

Are you taking your car keys?

WHAT??!! Nah Mom I was going to hotwire the car

Worse thing is my dad if we were out and he'd hear someone dropping their 'h''s would always comment and once I was in Netto and someone shouted over to someone else "Mum says ge' a ga'eu" reeeeeeeeally chavvy speak and I turned to my mate and said "Geez can you get any more common" and she fell about laughing and said "You sounded just like your dad then" [face_blush]

I have to say though I love my Mom and Dad to bits, wouldn't swap 'em for the world but maaaaaan I don't want to turn INTO them [face_laugh]

19. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    everyones worst nightmare. everyones true self

20. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    No. Waking up without my penis is my worst nightmare. :p

21. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002

I could understand why that would be... [face_laugh]

22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Alright, maybe not your weurrrst nightmare, but it's right up there!

23. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I loves me some wilderness girls cookies. ;)

24. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002

Are they made with real wilderness girls!?!

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    No, but they do have a certain secret ingredient.

//does his naked butt in the moonlight walk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.