main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Pokemon] As the Road Takes Me (Dear Diary Challenge; Slight AU; OC; Adventure) Updated 3/7

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Alexis_Wingstar, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Title: As the Road Takes Me
    Author: Alexis_Wingstar
    Fandom: Pokemon
    Character: Jon Wheeler, an OC I made up for this diary.
    Summary: Jon has started on the road on his eleventh birthday as a pokemon trainer. His best friend, Teresa, is traveling with him. Together, they will have to support each other, for the road can become dangerous.
    Notes: This is written for the Dear Diary Challenge, but since I am in charge of the index, I'm not making it an "official" entry, so it won't be eligible for voting at the end of the year. This takes place sometime after Ash Ketchum grows up. Gary has taken over his grandfather's research lab after the beloved professor died two summers before this story begins. Both cannon characters, as well as others may make some cameo appearances in this diary.

PM LIST

JEDIGUNSHIP
    bluebeast

[u]Entry 1:[/u] My name is Jon, and turned 11-years-old today, and I've left home this morning after opening my presents and going to Professor Oak's laboratory. I'm tired, and should be sleeping, but for some reason I can't get to sleep, so I'm writing in the journal my sister, Patty, gave me on my tenth birthday. I was supposed to start this journey [i]last[/i] year. The reason I didn't was because Patty, who never got to go on her Pokemon journey because she was terminally ill, was very sick, and our family didn't know how much longer she had. So, I stayed. I didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere when she died.

Before I had made the decision to stay instead of go a year ago, my two best friends, Teresa and Jeff, and I were all going to travel together. They were going to both stay and wait until I could go, but I told them to go on. Jeff went on, but Teresa decided to stay too. She didn't have to do that. I'm not sure why she did it, but, I'm glad she did. She's a great friend, and she's helped me not be so sad because my sister is dead now.

It's not that I don't miss Patty. I do. A lot! But she'd been sick for a [i]very[/i] long time. We were very close... when I was little, she always read stories to me about pokemon. My favorite was "The Frozen Charmander". She taught me a lot about pokemon... more than just what is in the books. Anyway, she's not hurting any more. And now I get to do what she dreamed of. In a way, I think she's with me, watching over me.

This afternoon, a few hours after Teresa and I left Professor Oak's lab, were hunting with our starter pokemon... she got a bulbasaur which she named Apple, because she said she was cute as an apple, and I chose a squirtle but I didn't name it yet... gotta do that soon, because I can't go around saying "hey you, use bubble," and I'm not gonna be like Ash Katchum and call the pokemon by their species name... anyway, like i was gonna say, a few hours after we got our pokemon, we decided to go off the road and try to catch pokemon in the forest. I've been in Viridian many times before, but today is the first time I got lost. The reason we got lost is another kid named Brand had his charmander use ember in spite of the warning that since this season was unusually dry, not to start any fires. Me and Teresa arrived just after he'd set a bush on fire. I tried to have my squirtle put it out with bubble, but it was too late! The fire had become too big, and bubble just isn't strong enough to put out that size of fire. We had to run as the fire spread. It didn't help that there was a wind blowing it towards us. We came to a stream, and my squirtle got some other water pokemon to help put out the fire. Brand got burned, and we're trying to help him get to Pewter City, which I think is closer now than Viridian. But it's dark now, and we have to rest.

Another reason I'm glad Teresa stayed behind instead of travelling w

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This was really cute!

I loved his voice... makes me want to take him home with me! [face_love]

...because I can't go around saying "hey you, use bubble,"
    [face_laugh] This made me giggle, litterally giggle! I'm glad no one was around... it would have been embarrassing! :p

I know very little about Pokemon, but I'm intrigued to see where this will go! :)

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Wow, this is definitely taking me back to the old days of Pokemon. If you have a PM list, can I be placed on it? :)

4. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    mavjade: Teresa may be jealous if you took Jon home. :p

JEDIGUNSHIP: A PM will be on it's way before you can say, "Gotta catch 'em all!"

[u]Entry 2[/u]

When Teresa woke me up this morning, I thought she was Patty at first. She had put her hand on my shoulder and shook it just like my sister used to. It was kind of disorienting. You know, I never noticed how pretty Teresa?s eyes are, but then this is the first time she woke me up, and when I opened my eyes, hers were [i]right there[/i]. Spunk had slept on top of my chest last night? I forgot to have him get back into the pokeball. When I woke him, I swear he grinned at me before squirting me in the face! Perhaps I [i]should[/i] called him by his species name! The little scamp. Haha.

I then remembered what happened yesterday and quickly looked over at Brand, who was still sleeping. As I reached over to wake him, I hesitated when he suddenly started shaking his head and screaming, ?No! Oh no, what have I done?? He then sat up and looked around, looking rather panicked. I kind of felt for him at that moment. Then he saw us, and turned back into a jerk. He reasons that what happened could just as easily been caused by a lightning strike. ?Forest fires happen naturally all the time,? he said. That?s true, but [i]this[/i] one wasn?t natural. It was caused because he was careless, and the jerk doesn?t care. At least his charmander (he named it Charbroiler, or Broil for short) seems to be dismayed at the damaged he caused? it doesn?t surprise me? pokemon are more attuned to nature than most humans.

Oh, I forgot to tell you before we came upon Brand and Charbroiler that Teresa and I had caught several pokemon? she did much better than me. She caught a white rattata she named Cloudy, a caterpie that?s already turned into a kakuna I mean a metapod that she named Rainbow because it?s got a funny mark on it?s back that looks like a rainbow? though it doesn?t show anymore since it evolved into a metapod, a female nidoran named Little Queenie, and with the fancy rod her dad gave her, she caught a magicarp (Mac), staryu (Sparkle), and a pink poliwag with blue eyes (Baby Blues)? she actually caught those at beach by Pallet Town before we came back north, and her water pokemon were among those that Spunk helped organize to fight the fire. It?s a good thing we bought those extra pokeballs at that store by the lab. I heard that?s a relatively new store, and some of Pallet Town?s residents opposed it?s opening because they were afraid it?d make more people come through? they like their town being small. Anyway, I don?t have a fishing pole, so I didn?t catch anything while Teresa fished? though I almost got a krabby that crawled up on the beach. When I sent out Spunk, it just dug down in the sand and we couldn?t find it again, though it was fun digging around with him. Later, I caught a sentret, spearow, and a mankey. I don?t have Teresa?s gift of naming things on the spot, so they don?t have names yet.

Anyway, we made breakfast, and set out for Pewter City. On the way, we saw some forest rangers coming to check that the forest fire didn?t start up again. Teresa and I told them what had happened, and one of them came to Pewter with us to report what happened to the police (standard procedure). Now we are stuck with Brand. He travels with us or loses his trainer?s license until he takes more classes with Professor Oak until the professor deems him ready to have the responsibility to train. I think the later is the better option, since the little brat doesn?t think he did anything all that bad. Teresa talked me into letting him come with us though. She thinks he?s just trying to cover up just how bad he feels. I respect Teresa, but sometimes, I think she?s just way too trusting and soft hearted.

I don?t like how he?s looking at her since she talked me into letting him come. I think he likes her or something. The creep.

I?m making sure to stay in

5. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    This is going to be really good.

I like how you display your knowledge of the Pokemon world. Makes it feel so close to our reality.

I cannot wait until his Squirtle evolves. Magical tear-filled eyes moment for sure.

PM list, for one please![face_idea]

-B-

6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Great entry! =D=

Now we are stuck with Brand. He travels with us or loses his trainer?s license
    :oops: Why do I get a bad feeling about this??

I?m making sure to stay in between them.
    Ahh... young love! [face_love]

7. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Blubeast: I hope to put detail into the Pokemon world without slowing down the actual story. I'm glad you like it so far. :)

mavjade: There will definitely be a rivalry between Jon and Brand on more than one front.

EDIT: Because I forgot the update! :oops:

[u]Entry 3:[/u]

GIRLS!

They are so... ARGH! I don't know what's wrong with Teresa. She messed up really bad in our joint battle with the leaders of Pewter Gym. So what! Everyone messes up. I tried to comfort her, and well, she didn't seem like she felt well, so I asked her if she was sick. And you know what? She asked me to stop being nice to her and ran off crying!

GIRLS!

Dang it though, Teresa isn't just a girl. She's my best friend. She was there for me when I needed her most. Why won't she let me be there for her? What am I doing wrong?

8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    [face_laugh] Poor kid... he is just so clueless!

Of course, I figure that is how guys feel all the time, so he better get used to it! :p

Great update!

9. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Jon is clueless in a funny kind of way. :p

10. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    He doesn't understand girls and since he's a guy, he never will.

Nice short update.:D

-B-

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    mavjade: Yes, but he's clueless in a cute way as opposed to being obnoxiously clueless. :p

JEDIGUNSHIP: Jon would be overjoyed to know he's funny about his confusion. :p

blubeast1237: Yeah, but then, girls won't fully understand him either. ;)

Thanks.

[u]Entry 4:[/u]

Well, Teresa seemed to feel better today, so I guess she wasn't really sick. It must have been something she ate.

Anyway, we did some intensive training with our pokemon, and she invited Brand to join us. I didn't want to let him in on our training at first, but I guess it'd be rude since he'll be travelling with us from now on. He wasn't as obnoxious today, at least. It's disgusting that even this idiot can name his pokemon so easily though. Why can't I come up with good names? I did wind up naming my mankey Sir Poundzalot... Poundz for short.

We took a break for lunch, then went out to hunt for more pokemon.

Teresa caught a weedle and I caught a spinarak. We were surprised to see the spinarak out during the day, as they usually appear at night. Maybe it's because of all the smoke in the area that's been lingering because of the fire Brand started.

Something really sad happened while we were hunting, a raichu came out of the forest. She was holding something that we couldn't tell what it was at first. She looked badly burned, and she actually walked up to us. She stopped right in front of us and looked up at each one of us while saying, "Rai rai, chu... Raichu rai." I'm not exactly sure what she was saying, but she sounded really weak.

Then she just... fell. The thing she was carrying wobbled on the ground, and Teresa knelt next to the poor raichu and gently lifted her into her lap, and I picked up the thing she'd dropped. It was an egg! The raichu looked up at me and pointed towards the egg. "Rai rai rai, chu? Raichu?"

"Yes, we'll take care of it." Teresa said softly, and then the raichu closed her eyes.

It died! Right there in Teresa's arms. We all cried. Even Brand.

I gave the egg to Brand. "You should be in charge of taking care of it since this is your doing."

He didn't argue. He didn't say anything. Just took it and put it under his shirt.

As we returned to Pewter City, I could have sworn I heard him sniffling. I couldn't tell as it was getting dark, and he wouldn't look at me.

Maybe I'm being to hard on him.

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Wow, now the kids have had to deal with the death of a Pokemon. Hopefully the egg will turn out fine.

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    :_| How sad!

I hope the egg is alright!

Sir Poundzalot... [face_laugh] love it!

Great entry!

14. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thank you for your comments, JEDIGUNSHIP and mavjade :) I hope you continue to enjoy the story I'm trying to weave.

[u]Entry 5[/u]:

We slept in late this morning. Even though I said I was going to go to sleep when I left Teresa and Brand last night, I just lay awake. Yes, I was very tired, but couldn't sleep, and was awake when they finally came into the room. I pretended to be asleep, and heard through their whispers that the egg was okay. Apparently, the let Brand keep it along with a portable incubator.

That's one thing about pokemon eggs. For some reason, they fare better when traveling than just sitting in a warm incubator. My guess is because in the wild, pokemon don't just keep their eggs in nests. They carry them with them if they can't stay at the nest.

Anyway I was relieved to hear the egg was fine.

I almost spoke to Brand and Teresa, but couldn't bring myself to say anything. I felt bad about first leaving them to go have a battle with another trainer, then snapping at Brand afterwards. I had planned to try to reach out to him in forgiveness, but I had this headache, and I wound up being a real jerk. I'm not sure why I didn't say anything last night before they turned in.

Now, I'm in the hospital.

It turns out that I was accidentally poisoned by my spinarak! See, I did something stupid yesterday when I caught him. I released him from the pokeball, and was using a potion on him to heal him. Well, I pricked my finger on his horn... it barely bled... but there was some residual poison on the horn when he'd used poison sting against my senteret. If I had paid attention, I wouldn't have gotten sick.

I feel so stupid! I've been doing volunteer work at the Pokemon Center for two years! I know better than that.

I have to apologize to Brand. How can I look him in the eye when I've been so hard on him when I pretty much did a similar thing? Well, yeah, I only hurt myself not put a whole bunch of wild pokemon in danger of losing their home. Yet, he forgot to use caution when he was excited... I forgot to use caution too. I hope both he and Teresa can forgive me for being such a jerk!

15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Well at least he realizes he was being a jerk... that's a step in the right direction! :)

It turns out that I was accidentally poisoned by my spinarak!
    :eek: Oops!

Good entry! :)

16. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thanks mavjade. :)

[u]Entry 6:[/u]

Brand and Teresa were able to come into my room finally.

Brand surprised me, and I think Teresa, too when he got in my face and yelled at me. "You stupid jerk! How dare you do something so careless and irresponsible. Do you realize how worried sick we were? Teresa was crying, and don't even get me started about how much you upset your parents!"

Then Teresa yelled at Brand for yelling at me.

I had to laugh. I don't know why. I guess it was just so good to know they cared. Well, I knew Teresa cared. But Brand? I'd been so mean to him. "It's okay, Teresa. I deserve to be yelled at." I looked at Brand. "I'm sorry I've been so hard on you. We all make mistakes, and I had no right to treat you the way I did."

Brand blinked like he was surprised. Then he grinned before commenting, "I don't think your mom looks like a shiny jynx."

I looked at him really confused, and asked "Huh?" as Teresa started giggling. Apparently I'd said some wierd things this morning when I was feverish from the poison, including saying my mom looked like a shiny jinx.

I don't think I'll be living some of those things down soon. It's okay though. I'm just glad to be alive and have two great friends by my side.

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    "You stupid jerk! How dare you do something so careless and irresponsible. Do you realize how worried sick we were? Teresa was crying, and don't even get me started about how much you upset your parents!"
    Aww... he really care! :D

I'm glad Brand is growing on them, he certainly is growing on me! :)

Great entry!

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Entry 7:

I feel much better today. They let me out of the hospital, and the first thing I did was let my pokemon out of their balls and told them how much I missed them. Webber wouldn't come out though. I was very worried about him, so I took him to the Pokemon Center to see if he was sick.

It turns out he was sad and ashamed that he had poisoned me.

I gave him a hug, careful not to prick anything on his horn as I told him it wasn't his fault, but mine for being careless. He was so happy that I wasn't mad at him. He's a really sweet pokemon.

19. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    This journal is so good. I love it alot.

If only there were more pokemon journals!:p

-B-

20. Aspiration

Aspiration Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2008
    Alexis, this is really good.=D=

Also, I'm kind of amazed that there are other Pokemon fanfic writers here.[face_dancing]

Add me to the PM list, please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.