main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Pokemon] Faithfully (Dear Diary Challenge; OC:Slight AU; Adventure) updated 3/7

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Alexis_Wingstar, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Title: Faithfully
    Author: Alexis_Wingstar
    Fandom: Pokemon
    Character: Teresa Oak, an OC who is Gary Oak's niece.
    Note: This is a companion piece to As the Road Takes Me, and is for the Dear Diary Challenge. Again, I'm posting this as not eligible for voting. This is sort of AUish, in that I'm breaking away from the idea that a pokemon has to "forget" a move once it has four of them to learn a new move. I can understand that in the video game sense, but it makes no sense in a real story. I mean, anyone who has trained a dog knows they can learn more than four tricks (unless it's a stupid dog or a stupid trainer :p ) so I don't see why pokemon should have that limit. I'm also putting doctors as well as nurses in the Pokemon Centers, and there are no multiple Nurse Joys or Officer Jenny's).

[u]June 5:[/u] Dear diary, let me introduce myself. I'm Teresa Oak. Yes, I'm the niece of Professor Gary Oak. So what! All it means is that there is more pressure on me to succeed. Everyone expects me to be an expert at handling pokemon because I'm the great granddaughter of Professor Samuel Oak and his successor to his lab is my Uncle Gary. Though I loved my great grandfather, and my uncle is pretty cool (though kinda arrogant... shh, don't tell anyone I said that), sometimes I wish I wasn't related to them. I have this knot in my stomach that never quite goes away that tells me I'm going to fail. That I won't live up to everyone's expectations to be a pokemon superstar.

Jon (shh, he's sleeping just a couple feet away from me) is the only person who makes me feel I don't have anything to prove. He's my best friend. A year ago, I had a chance to go with another good friend, Jeff, on my pokemon trainer quest. But Jon was staying behind because his sister, who'd been sick for years, was dying. He wanted us to go, but I couldn't. Jon is the only person who understands me and my fears. He has always been there for me. I couldn't leave when I knew he needed a friend to be there for him. He and Patty (his older sister who died) were very close, and when she died, he tried to be strong and brave. He [i]was[/i] brave, but he felt he shouldn't cry, that he had to show his family that he was strong enough to go on. But he needed to cry. Crying isn't weakness. Geesh, guys! They're so stupid sometimes. Anyway, one day after his sister's funeral, I found him at his favorite spot on a log by a pond outside Veridian City, his knees drawn up with his arms folded around them and his head in the crook of one elbow. His shoulders were shaking, and I knew he was finally crying. I hesitated to go to him because I was afraid he'd be embarrassed for anyone to see him like that. But I couldn't turn away. So, I went over to him and placed a hand on his back. When he looked up at me, tears were flowing like a river down his face. "I'm sorry," he stammered, "I can't stop crying!" I told him it was okay to let it out, and I hugged him. He held so tight to me, I thought he'd crush my ribs, but I didn't pull away. I let him weep on my shoulder until he was ready to pull away himself. He would have done the same for me. Anyway, while I held him, I realized something.

I love Jon.

Not the love you feel for family and friends. It's... I don't know how to explain it, except that when we're with each other... and even when we're not... it's like we are meant to be with each other.

Dang, when I read what I just wrote it sounds like I'm stark raving mad. But, I don't know how else to phrase it. I'm afraid to tell him how I feel. What if he doesn't feel the same way? He may not want to be my friend anymore, and I would be devastated.

Anyway, we started the pokemon journey yesterday. Apple is so cute with her pudgy cheeks that have little pinkish red spots on each side like she's permanently blushing. I fell in love

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Awww... cute girl!

I have this knot in my stomach that never quite goes away that tells me I'm going to fail.
    Poor thing... I don't think it would every any fun to be related to someone very famous because it puts so much pressure on you. :(

So, she is in love with Jon, huh? Awww...

I like that your doing a companion piece to your other pokemon fic. I love to see the same things from differing POVs! :D

Great job! =D=

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    mavjade: Thanks. :) I always found it interesting how different people could witness the same incident and tell almost completely different stories!

[u]June 5: Evening[/u]

When we reached Pewter City, we were told while Brand was being treated at the hospital that his trainer?s permit would be taken away from him if he didn?t travel with someone who would keep him in check. Well, I said he could travel with us. I felt kind of sorry for him, even though he was acting rather obnoxious, I think inside he?s not really a bad person. I think he just acts all tough and boastful to cover up just how insecure or scared he is.

I know the feeling.

Anyway, when I said that, Jon got angry. He said he didn?t want Brand to travel with us, that it served him right to have his permit taken away. ?Who knows how many pokemon lost their lives and home because of his recklessness!? I took him aside away from the officer and we argued for a few minutes, but I convinced him to give Brand a chance.

While we waited for Brand to be discharged from the hospital, we went to the Pewter City Gym. There are actually two leaders at this gym (Misty and Brock, who are married), so Jon and I got to do a team battle against them. Since I had seven pokemon (I caught six yesterday? they are so adorable, and two of them are unusual colors? Cloudy is a white rattata, and Baby Blues is a pink poliwag with sky-blue eyes), and Jon only had four (he didn?t name the three he caught yet), I let him use one of mine, and I kept the extra one in my backpack. Brock and Misty used their less experienced pokemon in the battle because they were concerned their champions would hurt our less experienced ones. They?re really nice. Still, we lost.

It was my fault.

See, just before we started the battle, Brock made a comment about me and Jon being a cute couple. Even as I blushed, Jon said that we weren?t a couple? he said that I wasn?t a girl, that I was his best friend. While I was happy that he considers me his best friend, well, it kind of hurt that he didn?t even consider me as a girl? that he thought it was strange anyone could think we could possibly be more than just friends. I couldn?t concentrate. I made some really stupid calls, and we lost.

What makes it worse is Jon wasn?t mad at me. He didn?t yell or anything. He just asked me what was wrong? he asked if I was sick or something, because I didn?t look like I felt well. I [i]don?t[/i] feel well. I feel all sick to my stomach. I think I would have felt better if he?d yelled at me for not doing the best I could! Why does he have to be so nice to me and make me love him more when he doesn?t feel the same way?

We?re going to stay in the area for awhile to train our pokemon some more and to catch more around here. Then we?ll try the Pewter Gym again. I think then I?ll be able to concentrate better when I?ve had a chance to put that behind me? Jon?s still my best friend. I don?t want to ruin that, and I don?t want to let him down again.

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I like the narrative voice so far. It's a bit hard to follow until I get the terminology and such, but I think it'll be worth getting used to.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    She is such a sweet girl, especially allowing someone who gave them nothing but trouble to stay with them.
    She's one of those people who sees the good in everyone, isn't she?

...he said that I wasn?t a girl, that I was his best friend.
    Aww... poor girl! :( Men are so oblivious! :rolleyes:

Great update, Alexis! =D=

6. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Ish: Thanks. It's hard to balance the knowledge of the Pokemon universe and just tell a good story that someone w/o that knowledge would understand.

mavjade: Yes, Teresa either sees the good in everyone or believes everyone should be given the chance to change.

[face_laugh] Even though Jon is a sweet guy, he's still a guy, and thus clueless.

Edit: Because i forgot the update again! :oops:

[u]June 6, Lunchtime:[/u]

Jon and I did some intensive training with our pokemon this morning, drilling them on different moves and coordinating attack and defensive moves. He's really good at that. It shouldn't surprise me, because he's great at [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogi]shogi[/link]... he can even beat some grown ups without a handicap!

Brand watched quietly at first until I invited him to join us. Jon seemed rather annoyed at that, but he didn't argue and was actually very helpful to our new companion. Brand has three pokemon besides Charbroil: a hoothoot named Tootles (he was sleeping and wouldn't come out of his pokeball); Scamper, a tiny rattata which is [i]very[/i] fast and mischevious; and beedril he'd captured as a kakuna that he named Stang (Brand said it was because "He stang me as soon as he evolved from kakuna... it was an accident though." I had thought he was a Star Wars fan when I first heard the name though).

Anyway, we took a break for lunch, and we'll be going back out and possibly hunt for more pokemon. It doesn't hurt to get a wide variety.

7. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Great entry!

I had thought he was a Star Wars fan when I first heard the name though.
    [face_laugh] Hilarious! I thought of the same kind of stang as she did!

I loved the Tootles part! [face_love] So cute!

8. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thank you, mavjade, I'm glad you liked it. I couldn't resist the Star Wars reference. :)

[u]June 7, very early morning:[/u]

I'm very tired, and should be sleeping, but I just needed to get this off my chest. I stayed up with Brand who had taken the egg to the Pokemon Center to make sure it was okay.

Oh, I forgot, I didn't write down what happened yesterday afternoon... well, when we went in search of pokemon after lunch, a badly burned raichu stumbled out of a grove of trees holding an egg. The poor dear died in my arms after we promised to take care of her egg. Oh, it was so heartbreaking to feel her body just... relax as her life drained of her.

Dang it, I'm starting to cry again.

Okay, anyway, Jon gave the egg to Brand saying that he should take care of it since it's his fault the raichu died. He was then really cold to Brand. Can't he... Jon... see how grief stricken Brand is? He... Brand... was crying all the way back to Pewter City. After we took the egg to the Pokemon Center and had dinner, Jon went to battle another kid who challenged him, and Brand went back to the Pokemon Center. I stayed with Brand because he needed the support more. I think Jon was upset about that, but he didn?t say anything. He just shrugged, said, ?Okay, seeya later,? and turned and left us.

Brand and I talked quietly in the waiting room. He really isn?t a bad guy. He feels very bad about what he did and wants to make up for it, though he feels lost on how he can do that, because what happened was so horrible.

?I didn?t mean for it to happen? Charbroil just learned ember the day before yesterday, and well, I was so excited about finally getting the opportunity to catch a flying pokemon that is awake during the [i]day[/i] that I forgot about the warnings. I feel so stupid for getting carried away like that.?

?Being a pokemon trainer is a responsibility, not a game for two-year-olds who forget the rules because they want something.?

The voice took both me and Brand by surprise. It was Jon, standing there with his arms folded and a scowl on his face. It had been about a half hour, long enough for a short battle between two trainers.

Brand stood up to face him. ?I?m sorry! I said I was sorry! I know what I did was wrong, and I can?t take back what I did, but all I want is a chance to make up for it! Okay??

He was shouting, and everyone in the Pokemon Center was staring at us.

It felt like forever as Jon and Brand just stared at each other. Finally, Jon nodded. ?Fine,? he said, ?I?m tired. I?m going to bed.? Then he turned and left.

I stood up, watching him go. Brand asked if he meant that he forgave him. I wasn?t sure. I?d never seen Jon act that way. I put a hand on Brand?s shoulder and told him I?d be back, then went to catch up to Jon.

I caught up to him just outside the Pokemon Center.

?Jon, he really is sorry. Can?t you give him a chance??

He looked at me, and there was this strange look on his face? it was almost like he was grieving? like how he looked when his sister died and at her funeral? like his whole world was sorrow, and he was just trying not to cry. ?I?m trying, Teresa, really, I am. But you know how I?ve been working as a volunteer at the Viridian City?s Pokemon Center. I saw this one pokemon who was abused by his trainer? the trainer swore he?d learned his lesson? that he loved his pokemon and didn?t mean to harm it. Then the next day or week the pokemon was dead because the trainer didn?t mean a word of it.?

?Brand?s not like that! You?ve seen how he is with his pokemon!?

?Yes, and I saw the raichu die in your arms because of his carelessness. I?m sorry, I?m trying to give him a chance? but ?? He sighed before saying, ?I?m tired Teresa. Please, let me just go to sleep. Maybe tomorrow I can be nicer.?

?Okay.? I let him go. I wanted to give him a hug. I understand where he?s coming from. Really, I do. But I also see how Brand is really hurting because of the guilt. So, I stayed up with him until we heard news about the egg.

It?s okay, thank goodness

9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I just want to put my arms around both the boys shoulders abd bang their heads together... then give them each hugs!
    I really feel for Teresa!
    Great entry!

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thanks, mavjade :)

[u]June 7, 1PM:[/u]

This morning I almost lost my best friend.

It was past ten, and Brand and I were still waiting for Jon to get up. I was getting concerned because he's always been an early riser. I remembered how tired it was last night... it was only 7 o'clock when he went to bed... and I thought perhaps he was sick, so I went to check on him. I shook his shoulder, and he seemed really groggy and confused. When he tried to get out of bed, he just collapsed on the floor with a moan. He was very pale and he was mumbling nonsense... stuff like "When the sun starts to set, we can ride it to the other side of the Earth." I stayed with him while Brand ran to call an ambulance. I took Jon's hand in mine while I waited, and that's when I noticed it was swollen up... it looked like a catcher's mit! It was also an odd bluish black!

It was only a few minutes before the paramedics got there, but it felt like hours to me. I was so scared Jon was gonna die! They took him to the hospital, but since neither Brand or I are family, they wouldn't let us ride with him. So we walked there.

The paramedics or the hospital must have gotten in touch with Jon's parents during the trip there, 'cause Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler arrived about a half hour after we did. We were all shocked to hear he'd been poisoned!

"Do you kids have any bug pokemon such as a weedle or spinarak?" The doctor asked us.

"I have a beedrill," Brand supplied, and I told them that Jon had caught a spinarak yesterday.

"Well, he must have nicked his finger on his spinarak's horn. He got here just in time. Another ten minutes, and he could have died."

Mrs. Wheeler gasped as she just sat straight down onto the floor. "Oh, my God, not Jonny!" She kept saying over and over again. Mr. Wheeler knelt down and was trying to comfort her, trying to remind her that the doctor said he got here on time, but she was so hysterical she wouldn't listen.

It was really heart breaking.

I jumped in surprise when Mr. Wheeler slapped her, but it also stopped her screams. She looked at him with a shocked look on her face, and he begged her to forgive him. Then they hugged each other... still on the floor. The doctor cleared his throat, Mr. Wheeler helped Mrs. Wheeler up. The doctor then told them that Jon was given treatment in time, and that he just wanted to keep him under observation until tomorrow morning, but that he should be fine to travel by the day after tomorrow.

All I could do was just stand there helplessly and watch. I felt so overwhelmed. Jon had almost died... the Wheelers had almost lost another child. I didn't know I was crying until Brand gave me a hankerchief.

Anyway, the doctor let Jon's parents go in and stay with him as he slept, but wouldn't let me or Brand in. Mr. Wheeler said he'd contact me when Jon woke up so we could visit... "He'd want to see you, I'm sure," he said.

Thank God he's going to be okay!

11. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That must have been so scary for her! She needs a hug! [:D]

Your writing of her fear was great... I could really feel it!

=D=

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thanks, mavjade :)

[u]June 8, 9PM:[/u]

Thank God, Jon is alright!

I know I said earlier that he will be, but still, I was worried all day. It was like I couldn't relax until I was able to [i]see[/i] him. Mr. Wheeler called us about 4 o'clock, and Brand and I were allowed to go in to talk to him.

I almost wacked Brand upside the head though for yelling at Jon, but it turned out okay. Jon said he deserved to be yelled at and apologized to Brand for how he treated him. They're friends now, and I'm so happy, I feel like dancing. Well, in spirit anyway. I'm too tired to really dance. Today has been so exhausting emotionally.

Funny even though we didn't really do anything, I feel more tired than when we had to run from the forest fire!

Well, I'm gonna go to bed. Good night, diary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.