main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pokemon FOREVER!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by PrincessKenobi , Feb 2, 2012.

1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    And yet people complained about GIJoe and G1 Transformers cartoons being nothing but commercials for Hasbro.
    And some oversight regulations were passed.
    And in spite of that, the Pokemon cartoons (and their yugioh and other spin-offs/copycats) are considered perfectly OK.

Go figure.

2. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    First of all, I have no problem with merchandise driven shows as long as they're actually good. I like Transformers and other shows.

Second, while Pokemon was based off a video game series, it's largely considered a separate arm of the franchise with little connection between the two. And Yu-Gi-Oh is a straight up adaptation of a manga series, like many, many other anime series. The card game that the franchise is known for was actually a pretty minor part of the story for a long time, and was only became more prominent after it proved quite popular. And the card game itself wasn't even created in real life until a bit later. Also, Digimon came out a bit before the Pokemon TV series, and while I'm sure they influenced each other they're two very different entities. The point is that none of these shows are really merchandise driven to begin with, and also it's not very easy to simply call them copycats either, since beyond some similarities inherent in the shonen genre of manga and anime, they're all really quite different.

Basically you're making a big deal out of nothing. Stop it.

Now go play with this Pikachu here.
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/pokemon/images/0/0d/025Pikachu.png]

:p

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Pokemon is essentially a G-rated version of dog, fish, and cock fighting.

4. jedijoker

jedijoker Chosen One star 8

Jul 6, 2004
  5. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
  6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I used to watch Pokemon on SMTV every Saturday. It was a strange show with rather pointless stuff, but it did always feature the Pokerap which was pretty funny.