main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CARDS Pokemon TCG discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kran Starborn, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Didn't find any pokemon threads that chat about the card game specifically so I thought I would make a thread about it. I am actually a newbie to the card game but am curious to learn and get into it. Is it easy to learn how to play it? Also is it fun to play?

For me I used to be into pokemon but my interest in the series only went as far as the anime and the video games because no one around here played the card game so I never bothered learning.

2. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Yes I play it. I prefer the videogames way more although I'm probably done at W2. I'm just not interested in buying a 3DS.

Before I didn't like the card game but then a couple of my friends showed me some of the strategy behind it. One of my friends has an insane Terrakion/Donphan deck, an equally insane Electrike/RayquazaEX deck, and a just-as-insane Blastoise/Beartic deck.

Personally I don't like how you have to buy so many packs to get anything good, but my friends have so many cards when I get something good, they'll usuallly trade a few of their really good cards for it as they want to make their powerful decks even more so.

In addition, I wish the anime had never existed. It gives a bad rap to Pokemon.

3. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Isn't having to buy so many packs a thing when it comes to any card game? I mean you could open 100 packs and you might get at least two or three rare cards out of the hundreds of common cards you will get. At least its always felt like that.

And I don't know the anime is interesting I don't see how it gives Pokemon a bad rap since the anime is Pokemon without it I don't know how much the card game could have gotten furthered as much as it is right now. I think it kind of helps the card game because it give pokemon exposure like oh that pokemon did such cool things I wanna build a deck with that pokemon in it and etc.

4. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I find the game really fun, but the separation between low and high-tier decks is extreme, with only a handful of expensive archetypes being competitive each season and no other decks standing the slightest chance against them. But If you're just playing with friends and family, building from your collections, it's really fun. And i'm sure that if you wanted to spend the money on making something competition worthy it'd be fun too, but there's no middle-ground. It's like, in Magic, you have a card that's not very strong, but it only costs one red land or something right? Well since the Pokemon themselves don't cost anything to put down in Pokemon, you end up with many cards that are by all definitions obsolete. At the moment, if it's not a Basic pokemon that has more than 120 health and can do at least 120 damage in one attack, or if it doesn't have some crazy resource gathering ability, it's completely useless. There are exceptions of course and that is a simplification but the core is true.