main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pokemon Trial Draft Now Open -- Winner: Specterace

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The_Chim, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Do you have what it takes to become the Ultimate Pokemon Trainer? Chim does, so join him. Now onto business...

I would like to welcome everyone back to another installment of the JC?s Trial Draft and if this is your first time, as it probably will be, fear not! Drafting is both easy and fun. For those returning members I am sure we all know the results of the Average Joes (first trial draft) with the winner being the creator behind the draft itself, Empire_Forever. Everyone congratulate him, he likes it.

This draft in itself is unrelated to Average Joes but it is still a Trial. And so this time we are going with Pokemon as the draft of choice, something easy for everyone. I am sure you all know what Pokemon are and are familiar with how obnoxiously popular they became, so I need not introduce they themselves but just the draft concept for them.

[b]***Disclaimer***[/b]
    I know this is long I just don't want this post to scare anyone off, it isn't as complicated as it seems. This is just long because it is the majority of the rules, if you have questions PM me and we can sort through it. Promise.
    [b]***Disclaimer***[/b]

[b][u]The Participants [/u][/b]

There are three types of participants in this draft: The Commissioner, The Judges, and the GMs.

[b]The Commish[/b]: That's me! It's my job to make sure the draft runs smoothly. I take care of the draft list, randomize the draft order, call the matches, and keep track of the winners. I also have an open PM box for questions, complaints, and bad jokes. Also bribes are very much appreciated!

[b]The Judges[/b]: There are three of these. It's their job to decide who wins the matches. They (sometimes) listen to arguments from GMs, and (sometimes) provide breakdowns on their reactions to picks during the drafting process. Also to take bribes.

[b]The GMs[/b]: That's you guys. There are only 8 of these this go around. It's their job to assemble a good team (or bad, it's up to you). It's also their job to send in numbers (which we'll talk about in a bit), and to "pimp" their team to the judges.

[b][u]Assembling a Team[/b][/u]

The bulk of the job of a GM, and the bulk of this game, is assembling the teams. This is done, mainly, through a drafting process. Once sign-ups are finished, a draft order will be published. When it is a GM's turn to pick, they should post in this thread the character they wish to select for their team. Or the GM may PM picks into me, the Commissioner, at any time and I will make their pick for them. Be warned, however, that you only have 24-hours to select a character, so it is often a good idea to send a PM to the commish with a selection or two that you would like to make if your turn to pick is coming up soon if you might not be on. If your time expires, you will be "bumped" to the end of the round. If you are bumped twice during the process, you can be removed from the game at my discretion.

The draft order is reversed at the end of each round. So, if it begins this way:

Team A
    Team B
    Team C
    Team D

Then the next round, it will go

Team D
    Team C
    Team B
    Team A

And, we do that for 8 rounds.

The other ways to fill rosters for teams is through free agency and trades. Free agency occurs only in periods specified by the commish. During these times, you post in the thread a player you are dropping from your team, and a player you are dropping from the available list. To complete a trade, two GMs must agree to the deal, and then both must PM the commish for approval. If the trade is approved, the Commish will post so in the thread. Trades must be x-for-x character in terms of draft picks and characters (i.e. no 3-for-2 trades or anything of the like are allowed, also, there must be at least one character being traded. You may trade a character for a draft pick, for example, but you may not trade a draft pick for another draft pick).

[b][u]Competing[/b][/u]

Once the draft is complete, once the 8 GMs sign up, the teams will be divided into two conferences .The teams in t

2. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    GMs
    1. Kyptastic

Gotta Catch em all!

3. Specterace

Specterace Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    GMs
    1. Kyptastic
    2. Specterace

One question: What will be the primary evidence for the draft? Shows/movies or the games?

Specterace

4. chaotic208

chaotic208 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2007
    probably a combination of both

1. Kyptastic
    2. Specterace
    3. Chaotic

( decided to GM ;)

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I can't speak for the other judges, but I'll be judging based primarily on the games.

6. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I will try this out.

1. Kyptastic
    2. Specterace
    3. Chaotic
    4. RX_Sith

7. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I just can't say no to a draft I actually catch opening in this forum.

1. Kyptastic
    2. Specterace
    3. Chaotic
    4. RX_Sith
    5. BaSSiL

8. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I am surprised you did not use Pikachu in your pokemon examples, Chimly! Best of luck with this mate, she looks good.

9. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    So how will individual battles be decided? I'm assuming we're going on stats, move pool, and type match-ups, correct? I would join, but I think I'd like to see how this takes off, and I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to GM.

10. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    That would be the basis for my decisions, yes. Should it have to go deeper, things like size and weight would be taken into account as well. Think Steelix vs. Raticate. Case-by-case basis, more or less.

11. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    1. Kyptastic
    2. Specterace
    3. Chaotic
    4. RX_Sith
    5. BaSSiL
    6. Prenn the Awesome

Edit: Great to see you back, Specterance.

12. black_dog

black_dog Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2006
    I'll give this a shot.

1. Kyptastic
    2. Specterace
    3. Chaotic
    4. RX_Sith
    5. BaSSiL
    6. Prenn the Awesome
    7. black_dog

13. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    Frak, I havent watch pokemon since there were only 152 of them. Go Charizard!

14. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Boy it's great to see this fill up so fast. And thanks for the blessing Tyi, let's hope it goes smooth shall we?

I am pretty sure we decided on game stats for this one. Sorry, I guess I didn't include that bit of info and it is pretty important. Oh well, it's always something. If any of you guys need help with getting your team ideas started this site is perfect for Pokemon from the games. Remember though it is only the Pokes up to and including Gold and Silver, none of that other nonsense.... yet.

Once one more person signs up you will see what I mean and I'll post the list.

15. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    I... can't... resist...!!!!!!!

(Drafting is super-effective against KiwiRogue!)

1. Kyptastic
    2. Specterace
    3. Chaotic
    4. RX_Sith
    5. BaSSiL
    6. Prenn the Awesome
    7. black_dog
    8. KiwiRogue

16. Specterace

Specterace Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    Thank you, Chimmy. That's perfectly fine with me. I've played that other "nonsense" but let me tell you that none of it has yet to match up to the greatness of R/B and G/S. Plus, I was really not looking forward to having to look up that mess of an anime to argue the Pokemon. I would have done it, but it would have been like gouging my eyes out. Game-based Pokes are perfect.

Specterace

P.S: Oh, and it's good to be back, Prenn.

17. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I'm still miffed I'll have to wait until this thing becomes an official draft in order to draft Gardevoir.

18. chaotic208

Jul 28, 2007
    lol dom missed it.....

EDIT: oh, and in my own opinion gold and silver were the worst of the pokemon gameboy games. i loved RS, and i have yet to fully appreciate DP, and RBY were awesome.... but.... apicots? dunsparce? delibird? lugia? -_- people complain about RSE sometimes saying they made useless pokemon like zangoose and solrock..... like.... Dunsparce? Delibird? stantler.. UNOWN? BABIES? TOGEPI? AZUMARILL? SUN STONE?!?!?!?!? *punches GSC*

19. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Dont you dare to blame my unowns. I love unowns, I have all cards of unowns . I love Lugia, and ampharos, ixbat etc Tyranitar, Porygon 2 (I love porygons) Murcrow, umbreon Magnetite being steel , Elekid, swinub ....

20. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Good luck with the draft, guys :)

21. Dom_Perignon

Dom_Perignon Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Aw, I wanted to play too. :_|

22. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    You can always comment on the matches from the sidelines.

23. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Dom if you want to judge, you can take my spot. I only took it because chaotic wanted to GM and I had thought he wanted to judge. So the offer stands open if you want it. You are a pretty top-notch judge in my book already.

Ok guys I am going to go whip up the draft order, post the list and order and we can get things moving!

24. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Put me in, Coach!

25. chaotic208

Jul 28, 2007
    ill judge in Chims spot. dom can have my GM spot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.