main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pokemon Trial Draft Now Open -- Winner: Specterace

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The_Chim, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    To an extent, but Kingdra isn't based around flying as Zapdos is. It's much more comfortable staying in one spot than Zapdos, which has to move around to be effective.

Sorry on the Dragonbreath issue, but I recalled having it on my Kingdra. I must have taught it to it nearly every time I had the tm.

2. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004

Arcanine vs. Cloyster
    Gotta disagree here. In the Mt. Moon interior it'll be fairly dark, which is the first minus against arcanine since its lit attacks will give away its position very quickly. Although it is also faster, this is a pretty enclosed area, which favors cloyster. And really, one clamp should end it considering all its multi-hit attacks hit 5 times. In here I think cloyster gets a good clamp in, or another good solid water attack or 2, especially since it can protect and withdraw and use all that good defensive stuff.

Winner: Cloyster

Raichu Prepared with Trainer Ash Ketchum vs. Snorlax

Agree

Lapras Prepared with Trainer Lt. Surge vs. Heracross Prepared with Trainer Brock

Agree
    Zapdos vs. Kingdra

One of the worst matches in history, this one features a flightless bird and a waterless water dragon. They'll basically have like, 40 spd each, and be sitting there shooting at each other without hardly moving. And in this case in the cave interior I just don't see electric attacks being as effective. Sure, zapdos has paralysis but Kingdra has yawn, so I see that as a push. And I see kingdra having more powerful attacks otherwise, especially with thunder being nonexistant here.

Winner: Kingdra

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Uhh, just one comment on those judgements there. Doesn't Zapdos himself emit Thunder? Or did you mean it would be nonexistant in some other way? Just curious.

4. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I knew on the anime, and just checked on Bulbapedia. In thunder, the lightning descends from on high. Which it couldn't do into Mt. Moon. I'd probably still vote kingdra even still, but it'd be closer.

5. chaotic208

chaotic208 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2007
    you said dragon type gives kingdra resistance to electric whi;e zapdos has no resistance to dragon? last time i checked, dragon has no super-effectiveness on flying or electric. neither pokemon is weak to the other's types in this fight. zapdos is just generally nastier :\

6. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I said that the location, in the cave, will make some electric attacks, particularly thunder...

Wait, were you talking to me? Or was that kingdra's gm you were talkin to?

7. chaotic208

Jul 28, 2007
    at kyp not you

8. Dom_Perignon

Dom_Perignon Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 11, 2006
    I was writing out some semi-big explanations on the matches, but I lost'm. So to move these matches I agree with Yak on the two contested. Arcanine won't be at its best in this dark, damp, closed in space, and cloyster's lack of Sp. Def is made up for by Aracanine's suceptabilty to water attacks. That one is definitely the harder of the two. Then with Zapdos, being in a cave is a huge disadvantage for the bird, while being a huge advantage to Kingdra.

9. chaotic208

Jul 28, 2007
    how exactly is the interior of mount moon an advantage to kingdra?

10. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Umm, crap. Well actually it would seem that I made a mistake this round. It would appear that in number these matches and made two #4s for Kyp, instead of a 3, so that Kingdra vs. Zapdos match should actually be Jynx for Kyp, not Kingdra.

My bad guys, sorry especially to chaotic and Kyp. I am really dropping the ball here folks. So can we get the judges to do that match real fast? Still in the cave of course.

Zapdos vs. Jynx

11. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Easy. Jynx. With or without blizzard. It can actually move and do good stuff and whatnot

12. chaotic208

Jul 28, 2007
    oh ok nvm, there i go. for a second i actually thought i could take this to teams

13. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
  14. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001

Round One
    The Rated R Pokestars (2) vs. Prenn's Puppets (2)
    Sea Electric Air Land Squad (SEALS) (3) vs. Snorlax Battles the Pink Robots (1)
    Apathetic Attempt(1) vs. Dismay's Rangers (3)
    The Job Factory (1) vs. Kyp's Kids (3)

THREE.

Blastoise Prepped with Lorelei vs. Flareon
    Moltres vs. Umbreon Prepared with Trainer Morty
    Venusaur *forfeit* vs. Suicune
    Steelix Prepped with Trainer Giovanni vs. Kingdra

15. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Which pretty much means Mew will hit the Fighter. Perfect.

16. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    Crack my lazy code, eh? Doesn't matter, I don't seem to be on the same wavelength as others in terms of this draft...

17. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    No, I didn't crack any code. If I had, Suicune would've been the best bet to take on Tyranitar instead of someone who has a weakness to him. Let the "hope it hits a forfeit" fall to Starmie.

18. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Kingdra has the type advantage here (Water>Ground) and with water not being one of Steelixs resistances (of which there are many). Even with prep, I don't think it'll be enough to overcome Kingdra (especially since Dragon pokemon are meant to be above average intelligence for pokemon)

19. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Blastoise Prepped with Lorelei vs. Flareon

Got a real match here, or not. Lorelei's moves won't be helpful, but that doesn't mean much when Blastoise could take the match on his own. Most of Flareon's moves are going to be doing half-damage while most of the damage from Blastoise's attacks will be doubled. Much to my surprise, Blastoise is also faster than Flareon. Big turtle wins.

Moltres vs. Umbreon Prepared with Trainer Morty

As strongly defense-oriented as Umbreon may be, I think Moltres has the advantage here. He can just keep flying around and raining fire down on Umbreon, or come down and hammer him with Air Slash and Sky Attack. Big fiery bird wins.

Venusaur *forfeit* vs. Suicune

Steelix Prepped with Trainer Giovanni vs. Kingdra

Yeah, I'll agree with Kingdra here. Good as Giovanni and Steelix may be, Kingdra has type, speed, Sp. Defense, and attack advantages over Steelix. Sure, Steelix has a great physical defense, but none of Kingdra's attacks require close-range combat. Killer seahorse wins.

20. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
  21. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    And thus, we have our final match for the first round.

Round One
    The Rated R Pokestars (3) vs. Prenn's Puppets (2)
    Sea Electric Air Land Squad (SEALS) (4) vs. Snorlax Battles the Pink Robots (1)
    Apathetic Attempt(1) vs. Dismay's Rangers (4)
    The Job Factory (1) vs. Kyp's Kids (4)

FIF.

Houndoom Prepped with Karen vs. Charizard
    Crobat vs. Raikou
    Hitmonlee Prepped with Bruno vs. Mew
    Machamp vs. Typhlosion

22. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    I'd argue this, but I've won anyway.

Good game chaotic, you had a better team than a first round elimination shows. [face_peace]

23. chaotic208

Jul 28, 2007
    dont get your hopes up buddy, is this not round robin style? im coming back. *puts on shades*

EDIT: btw, in mt. moon, machamp would outperform typhlosion especially with typhlosion glowing in the dark, if were gonna play this like that.

24. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Chim said that this tournament was single elimination, as it was a trial.

25. chaotic208

Jul 28, 2007
    lol @ contradictions. were playing single elimination because its a trial but we couldnt correct our mistakes in earlier rounds because i recall this WASNT an "Oops Trial". if i would have known the rules would be this wonky i wouldnt even have started this crap in the first place -_- but yes, gg. i got some bad stage draws, but nice kingdra pick, there. that was smart, although if magneton would have learned magnet rise naturally i wouldt have taken this to teams :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.