main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pokemon Trial Draft Now Open -- Winner: Specterace

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The_Chim, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Actually I'll hold off on judging this one for now

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Close match, and I think Nidoking would probably put up a pretty good fight, but yeah, agree.

3. Specterace

Specterace Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    Nidoking does have Doublekick, and it does start off with better Speed. But Golem has Rock Polish to boost it's Speed two stages, doubling it's speed if it needs to. Also, Golem's Defense is a whopping 359, meaning that it can shrug off a lot of physical attacks (which is what Doublekick is) for heavily reduced damage.

But the battle likely won't get to that point. Why? Because Nidoking can't fly. And because it can't fly, it literally has nowhere to run from that devastating Earthquake, which is boosted by Golem's type compatibility, Nidoking's weakness to Ground-type moves, and Golem's high Attack Stat (319 Attack). Given all of that, Earthquake will literally tear Nidoking apart.

And to top it all off, the one move that Nidoking could use to kill Golem in one hit, Horn Drill, won't work against Golem because of Golem's Sturdy Ability, which renders it invulnerable to all 1-hit-KO moves.

This should be a win for Golem.

Specterace

edit: And it apparently was a win for Golem. Yay!

4. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Championship Round
    Kyp's Kids (0) vs. The Rated R Pokestars (2)

Back to...
    TWO

Magneton vs. Blastoise Prepared with Trainer Lorelei

5. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    Damn it. And here I was hoping that Magneton would hit Houndoom, and give me a near-insurmountable lead. Oh well, now I just gotta hope that Houndoom hits Jynx.

Specterace

6. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm just praying that Dragonite doesn't hit Articuno...

7. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    You should be. Arti would total Dragonite. Then again, he'd almost certainly beat any of your other guys (Kingdra and Jynx) too...

It's going to come down to who the other two Pokes hit. If Houndoom hits Jynx, or if Celebi hits Kingdra, you're pretty much done for, Kypper...

Specterace

8. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Blastoise puts up a pretty good fight, and might even have a small shot at winning if he gets the right attack in first, but the odds of that happening don't seem to put things into his favor. Type advantage here is probably just too much for him to overcome. So, yeah, Magneton.

9. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Actually, I feel I have a fairly good chance of arguing Jynx over Articuno. Then I'd need Kingdra to hit Houndoom, and Dragonite would take Celebi. Fairly long odds of that happening though :p

10. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Normally I'd say Magneton but I believe in a trainer as well, so, argument and such.

11. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    While trainer will help with the decision making process, her TMs are more useless than Blastoise's normal moveset against Magneton. And while it is wild, it's still has a majority of electric moves that all do 2x damage to Blastoise. The only real hope Blastoise and Lorelai have here is to somehow wait it out until Torrent would activate.

12. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, I have a trip in the morning so I've got alot of time to not think about it till later. Crap, this draft is goin so fast and I haven't finalized the rules for the wrestling draft yet. But soon...

13. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Long story, but yeah, Magneton

14. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    So, about that next match...

15. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Championship Round
    Kyp's Kids (1) vs. The Rated R Pokestars (2)

FIF!

Jynx Prepared with Trainer Sabrina vs. Houndoom Prepared with Trainer Karen

16. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    Ouch. Tough one for Kyp.

Jynx simply doesn't have much of any sort of offense that will even come close to threatening Houndoom. Psychic skills have no effect whatsoever, and the ice moves are so ineffective against Houndoom that they're not a factor.

Houndoom, obviously, has Crunch, Flamethrower, Fire Fang, and lots of other moves that will simple destroy Jynx, given it's type alignments, move power, and what have you.

Score one for my team again.

Specterace

17. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, game over.

I have got Dragonite and Kingdra left, so I could possibly take this to a team battle if Dragonite doesn't hit Articuno. Long odds though.

18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Yeah, just too much of a type disadvantage for Jynx to overcome. Houndoom.

19. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Yeah, agree

20. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Championship Round
    Kyp's Kids (1) vs. The Rated R Pokestars (3)

I meant THREE

Dragonite vs. Articuno

This one seems pretty easy....

21. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005

Good game Specter, you got lucky with your numbers, but you definitely argued better than I did in any case.

22. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, since it's such a pivotal battle and dragonite is such a beast I will wait till I get back in town tomorrow and do some research... But it's... Yeah... Lookin like the end...

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Dragonite has a x4 weakness to Ice moves, so, yeah, Articuno.

24. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Yeah, so, I'm gonna give Kyp a try to argue for articuno since it's so critical. Which more means I just got back in town and head out again in under 5 hours. So, hopefully I'll get to it sometime in the next 24, if Dom doesn't get to it before. I want to just reassure myself by looking at the data before I give it to articuno.

25. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    I'm actually the one who has Articuno, Yak. Still, this one should be elementary.

Dragonite has no big stat advantages (in fact, it has a couple disadvantages), and it's a FAR bigger target in the air than Articuno, with far less mobility. And then there's that ridiculous 4X weakness to Ice that basically means Articuno will total Dragonite in short order with an Ice Beam or Blizzard. Of course, if Arti REALLY wanted to be mean, he could always use Mind Reader, and then Sheer Cold, which is a 1-hit-KO move.

Any way you slice it, Dragonite is doomed.

But anyway, good match, Kyp, and good job building your team. I certainly felt that it was easily a threat to mine, personally. Had the numbers favored you a little more, you would have had a great chance to take it.

Specterace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.