main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Kanto wait to Go catch 'em all: Pokémon!

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Mar 4, 2007.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Pokemon has been one thing that I've constantly like since it was first released. I like the cartoon and have beaten Pokemon Red a few times. I'm also having lots of fun with Blue Mystery Dungeon and I'm really looking forward to the release of Diamon and Pearl. All the games released to date are:

Pokémon Red ? Game Boy ? September 9, 1998
    Pokémon Blue ? Game Boy ? September 9, 1998
    Pokémon Snap ? Nintendo 64 ? June 30, 1999
    Pokémon Pinball ? Game Boy Color ? July 31, 1999
    Pokémon Yellow ? Game Boy Color ? October 19, 1999
    Pokémon Stadium ? Nintendo 64 ? February 29, 2000
    Pokémon Trading Card Game ? Game Boy Color ? April 2000
    Pokémon Puzzle League ? Nintendo 64 ? September 2000
    Pokémon Gold ? Game Boy Color ? October 2000
    Pokémon Silver ? Game Boy Color ? October 2000
    Hey You, Pikachu! ? Nintendo 64 (with special microphone accessory) ? November 5, 2000
    Pokémon Puzzle Challenge ? Game Boy Color ? December 2000
    Pokémon Stadium 2 ? Nintendo 64 ? March 2001
    Pokémon Crystal ? Game Boy Color ? July 2001
    Pokémon Ruby ? Game Boy Advance ? March 2003
    Pokémon Sapphire ? Game Boy Advance ? March 2003
    Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire ? Game Boy Advance ? August 2003
    Pokémon Channel ? Nintendo GameCube ? December 2003
    Pokémon Colosseum Bonus Disk ? Nintendo GameCube ? February 2004 (This was a pre-order bonus for Pokémon Colosseum. It has trailers for Pokémon Colosseum and the Pokémon Jirachi Wish Maker movie, plus the Jirachi Pokémon, which can be downloaded into Ruby or Sapphire.)
    Pokémon Colosseum ? Nintendo GameCube ? March 2004
    Pokémon Box: Ruby & Sapphire ? Nintendo GameCube ? July 2004
    Pokémon FireRed ? Game Boy Advance ? September 2004 (Remake of Pokémon Red)
    Pokémon LeafGreen ? Game Boy Advance ? September 2004 (Remake of Pokemon Blue)
    Pokémon Dash ? Nintendo DS ? March 2005
    Pokémon Emerald ? Game Boy Advance ? May 2005
    Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness ? Nintendo GameCube ? October 2005
    Pokémon Trozei! ? Nintendo DS ? March 2006
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team ? Game Boy Advance ? September 18, 2006
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team ? Nintendo DS ? September 18, 2006
    Pokémon Ranger ? Nintendo DS ? October 30, 2006

Upcoming games

Pokémon Diamond ? Nintendo DS ? April 22, 2007
    Pokémon Pearl ? Nintendo DS ? April 22, 2007
    Pokémon Battle Revolution ? Wii ? Spring 2007

I got this information from Wikipedia, I didn't realise that FireRed was a remake of Red or that LeafGreen was a remake of Blue.

So yeah, in this thread we discuss all thing pokemon.

2. Lord2

Lord2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2006
    what the.. Do you have seen all the movies/seasons as well?

3. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Sadly not. I've just seen what was on tv (which wasn't much) and the first movie.

Edit: there's 9 series and each series has about 50 episodes, it'd take a long long time to watch it all. :(

4. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    ONLINE BATTLING AND TRADEING

Oh god Pearl/Diamond is going to rock the house.

5. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    I choose you - Pikachu.

// pica pica

6. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    Pokemon Stadium on the 64 was probably my favorite back in the day along with the Red/Blue. Diamond and Pearl look interesting and might be ones that I'll consider getting. ;)

Haven't played Pokemon in a long time.

7. The_Crow

The_Crow Jedi Master star 4

Jan 10, 2006
    That's what I call a lot of games.

8. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I admit it freely.
    I've had a love affair with Pokemon for about nine years now...
    ...and it hasn't ended. [face_love]

I own a good amount of Pokemon cards, used to watch the show up until the end of Johto League, played and beat Pokemon Silver & Red, played Pokemon Stadium, own Pokemon Emerald (I'll really play it someday, I swear!), and totally have both Pokemon Diamond & Pearl reserved.

The DS WiFi thing is going to be absolutely wonderful for Pokemon. :D

9. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    My favourite Pokemon game was Pokemon Sapphire. The locations were really cute. By the way, about how many Pokemon are we up to these days? Something like 400?

10. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Haha, good question. I think there's 300...but not sure...the new Pearl and Diamond will add about 150, but a large portion of that 150 will be higher-evolved forms of older Pokemon.

11. Green-Leader

Green-Leader Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2007
    The last time I played pokemon was back in 2003 or so. I used to love those games. The rpg elements were highly addictive. Syther and that little bird, "Xu" I think it was, they were my favourites. I haven't played one in years though, and since then they added like 100 new ones and there have been like 10 more games LOL. I'm way out of touch.

12. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    I've played Pokemon stadium on N64, and I saw maybe the first 2 or 3 seasons. I kinda dug the opening songs, for the first one, and for the one where the lyrics are "We are living, in a pokemon world, po-ke-mon! I wanna be the greatest master of them all (during which pikachu goes "chuuuuuuuuu"), po-ke-mon! Does Ash ever win any tournaments? I remember at the end of the first season there was a tournament and ash went up against a guy who looks just like him and lost. I think after that, the mewtwo thing was introduced. Also, there was a GS ball, it was gold, and a little white animal still sort of stuck in an eggshell that Misty carried all the time. Did anything happen to them lol?

13. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    [image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b247/salvamag/1157775914442.jpg]

14. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I used to be a pimp with Pokemon. I caught all 151, and I never lost against another human in battle.

15. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    The original Red/Blue were good, but every game since then on the handhelds has been much the same. Having said that, the new DS titles have me interested. Online battles and trading is certainly a huge addition to the franchise.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm hoping the internet play won't be too important, I don't know of anywhere that will allow me to connect it to the internet, and I can't use an adaptor in my room due to halls regulations.

17. Lord2

Lord2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2006
    the Pokémon in the Kanto and Johto regions were the best.. Hoenn and Shino doesn't really belong to the Pokémon world!

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Have just preordered Pokemon Pearl, can't wait for it to come out. :D

19. Darklord07

Darklord07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    I'll be picking up Diamond. It just looks too good to pass up.

20. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Pick up the official Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector. About 30 bucks, plus only the DS and Wii can read it (and you have to invite them on the system through your PC) so your college won't get pissed. I did that when I was in college for the DS.

As for the topic, I ruled back in Red/Blue days, Gold/Silver I beat, Ruby I just couldn't get into. Sure it was GBA with great graphics, but after playing the old ones to death, it lost the appeal. Sold Ruby for a surprising profit, considering how prolific they are used. Haven't bought another pokemon yet

I doubt I will get Pearl or Diamond. I must be part of the 1% who hates online play. I actually don't mind friend codes because if I played online, I only would want to play with my friends anyway. I don't want to get stuck against some snot nosed 10 year old who does nothing but play the game and then scream into the microphone how much he "pwnz" me. Ugh. I really don't like online play.

Now if they had two player co-op through the LAN, that would be sweet. I'd buy my fiance a DS and we'd play each copy, trading and sharing without competition. That part of online I'd enjoy.

I'd also enjoy a 3d Pokémon that was a true 3D Pokémon. None of the "just battles" ala stadium/Collessuem/Battle Revolution or the "let's see how pathetic we can make this" ala Snap/Hey You Pikachu/etc. I'm talking a 3D RPG world, maybe a remake of Kanto from Red/Blue days. Use the engine from Quest 64 (yes I know the game wasn't that good but the concept was great) to have that appearing circular battlefield where you can move around and attack, or run by getting to the arena borders. Make me want to explore the world, searching for these creatures (though still have the random battle - but like Quest 64 and Chrono Trigger, no jumping into a completely different realm for battle). For controls, use the classic controller on the Wii. left stick moves, A selects, B is back, use a few other buttons for special functions (HM- use outside battle commands hot-mapped to the shoulder buttons maybe?) In battle, since it will be quasi realtime, right stick becomes a selector (compass directions for attack,bag,pokeballs,items,team selection,etc.) the four face buttons in battle when in Attack mode become the four moves the pokemon currently controlled knows, so single button push = attack. L and R to switch between what pokemon you are controlling (if you decide to throw out another - make it a choice, so if you want one pokemon to get the exp, have him fight alone) but have decent AI so if you aren't directly controlling one it doesn't just stand there.

And when you do happen to fall in battle, and your pokemon are all in their pokeballs, fainted, have an animation of your character calling in with a cellphone to the local Pokemon Center for a pickup, instead of the sudden "you're here!" and take away some money. Oh wait, new element, if you pay more, they send the "center on wheels", a portable rejeuvenation unit to heal your monsters right there. Of course it would be supremely expensive and not available at first, but that would be better than getting 90% through a cave and then having to restart at the last town.

Yeah, I have given a huge amount of throught to a true 3D pokemon, back when I cared a ton about the series.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'll look into the nintendo wi-fi adaptor.

I generally avoid online gaming as well, the only games I'll play over the internet are CS and DoD, and even then I go through a few servers trying to find good ones.

I don't think I'll know anyone who'll play this though, so it'll probably just be me playing on my own, which is good enough for me.

22. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    You need new friends.

I showed one of my female friends the new pokemon list and she squealed in enjoyment.

And then we had sex.

The last part doesn't have anything to do with anything but I thought it necessary.

23. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    Back during pokemon red and blue on GBC i was big pimpng. I owned. Caught all those little pokemon brothas. I had this crazy team of pikachu 7 times. All like level 99 or whatever. Level 100 it was off the chain crazy.

24. Spartan786

Spartan786 Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2007
    pokemon is awesome. everyone in the 8th grade thinks its for kids, but I mean come on! Pokemon is for everyone!!!!! i was a god at pokemon back in red and blue. anyone remember missingno?

25. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    and infinite Rare Candy / Master Balls.

All legendary pokemon, nah you don't need to fight, just chuck a master ball at them.