main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Kanto wait to Go catch 'em all: Pokémon!

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Mar 4, 2007.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Oh wow, those look awesome! Well, Squirtle and Charmander do, Bulbasaur not so much. How awesome would it be to play through the game with just those three? It'd be like playing the original, kind of.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Now I am seriously considering getting this game somehow.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Awesome looking Mega forms. They also announced a red and blue X and Y 3DS XL will be released in late September which I'm somewhat tempted by. I've been looking forward to the next generation, but getting the Kanto starters as well sounds really fun, especially with those Mega forms (Blastoise with three cannons and even more dragon-ish Charizard).

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Charizard was always a boss in the R&B days, shame he fell away as time went on.
    Maybe now he will be a big part of teams again.

I have heard also that on release day there will be stores that allow you to get an exclusive Torchic via Nintendo Network. This Torchic will have an item allowing its final evolution to become Mega Blaziken. As a starter from a previous generation it is hard enough to get a Torchic as it is, but this item will be exclusive so if you want a Mega Blaziken that will be the only way.

[​IMG]

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Apparently there will be a way to transfer your Pokémon from the Black & White series games to X and Y without needing a second DS console.

It will called Pokémon Bank and hold up to 3000 Pokémon from your other games and store them on a cloud server where they will be safe. Unfortunately it seems there will be a yearly fee for this application (plus you'd have to purchase and download it from the e-shop after having bought the game) which hopefully won't be too much.

Still, there is a free trial period. So I could always just send over everything I need within that time and then stop using it.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Just a reminder for people - Pokémon X & Y will be released on Saturday

I have it pre-ordered but won't be able to get it until Monday.

7. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    So how far have others gotten so far? 4 Gym Badges and counting, having a really fun time, with the graphics and roller skating everywhere and Mega Evolutions are pretty fun too of course. And really like Exp. Share, helps keep my party balanced, now back to leveling.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I've not had much time to play it over the weekend, and then I thought a long time about which starters I should get given you get a choice of 6 + Torchic.

So far I have one badge and have set up my Game Sync so I can participate in the ratings battles and Pokémon Dream World like I did before.

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I have two badges so far, feeling really pleased with that. I'm just taking my time, trying to catch as many pokemon as I can instead of rushing through the game. I did like that there was a Snorlax blocking a road, just like in the first Red and Green. I went with Fennekin and Bulbasaur, mostly because Fennekin is cute and Bulbasaur was my first ever pokemon.

I do like that I can customise my character now. I wasn't expecting that. I'd never pay 1,500 pokedollars for a haircut in real life though, that seems a bit too much.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The customisation is pretty cool, I like that different looks are possible even with Pokémon. It's difficult with the game being so new because I'm not sure which of the new regional Pokémon are worth training up since bulbapedia hasn't yet put up very much about them. Honedge and its evolutionary line seems to be highly regarded (steel/ghost is a good typing) as is the new Dragon Goomy.
    I'd like to get some Fairy types trained up and see which is the best, they will be good for dealing with Dragons after all.

Riding a Rhyhorn was fun, things will no doubt be easier once I get Strength & Surf. I also need to wait until the system for storing Pokémon from previous games is up and running since there are a few from White I really want to trade over to Y.

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Not sure I can swing getting X or Y this month and still remain debt-free :p

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Penguinator: ask yourself, do you really need food more than you need Pokemon? ;)

I just preordered the official guide so I should have that soon. Mostly I got it for the info on features, the pokedex, and stuff. I don't use them to help with gyms, but if I'm looking for a pokemon it helps if I know where to look.

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    No, I need to be able to pay bills :p

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Guides can be useful, but with Bulbapedia I can look stuff up for nothing. Still, once the guide comes out the site should be updated.

I currently have 3 badges and got Lucario to become Mega Lucario which was cool. I am currently attempting to train up a few of the new Gen 6 Pokémon so I can compete in the Ranking Tournament. where the rules are only new X & Y Pokémon can be used.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm trying to get a Pichu but I don't think I can catch them in the wild. I've looked everywhere and no one has said where I can get them. The guide doesn't help either. I might have to catch two Pikachus and breed them, which is troublesome. I worked out that with seven boxes and 30 pokemon per box there's only room for 210 pokemon. I know a lot evolve but I'm not sure that'd be enough so I can catch them all. :(

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Do you need to catch them all? I want to fill the Pokedex as much as possible but I am happy simply to go with sightings and evolve ones I can't find in the wild or see in battles. Once I have them I will likely release them since they are of no use to me in battles.
    Maybe you should wait to get a ditto and use that to breed, I normally do that when I struggle to find a male & female of specific Pokémon.

I currently have 6 badges, the Fairy one was tough since I didn't really have anything that was super-effective against them (Steel & Poison are) and so resulted to using my Mega-Charizard to wreck everything and get it done. I do though now have a good squad on Gen 6 Pokémon that are at least level 40 so I might start trying some ranking battles soon.

I wonder when Pokémon Bank is coming, I have numerous Pokémon from White that I want to transfer over rather than go through the hassle of having to catch them all again in Y and raise them up to the same level.

17. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    Is it possible to transfer anything from Pearl/Diamond/Platinum? I know you could transfer to Black and White, but want to know for sure before I transfer all of my guys over.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not sure exactly. All the DS generational games in theory should be compatible so I don't see why not, but I'd check the fine print of the service once they actually get around to launching it.

I spent a long time sifting through the Dream World getting Pokémon with the right nature's and special abilities so I'd like to have them over on Y to compliment my new squad and to be Mega Evolved if possible (I know Garchomp can).

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    SithLordDarthRichie: I don't have to catch them all, but I want to. There are some pokemon that I really want, like Pichu and all the Red/Blue starters, and the starters for X/Y. I have a question about Pikachu, am I right in thinking that he won't evolve without a thunderstone? I want to keep a Pikachu with me because I have the Pikachu 3DS XL, and it seems like a good thing to do but I don't want to keep stopping the evolution every time it levels up.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Pikachu definitely won't evolve into Raichu without a Thunderstone, I had to use one in Y to make it evolve.

How do you plan to get all the starters? Your rival only seems to take one of the new ones and none of the Kanto bunch. I have only viewed the evolutionary line of Froakie & Charmander (because I have those) and Chespin because my rival has one. I haven't seen Fennekin or either of Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Aside from Torchic I also am unlikely to see any of the starters from previous generations either.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I plan to trade for them. The new online trading thing makes it easy to search for pokemon you want (and have seen), so it shouldn't be too hard.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    True enough.
    The games certainly have a great online system in place now.

One criticism I have of the Pokémon franchise in general is a lack of difficulty setting. All the gym leaders & Elite Four and villains really need to try more variety in their Pokémon, it's too easy to defeat most opponents with just a couple of Pokémon and not have to use your whole squad. Even the rival only seems to have 3 Pokémon, it's not really that challenging when you get to a certain level and have a few decent Pokémon available to use.

I hope future games will change this system.

23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Not quite sure the main story is meant to be that challenging. Depending on the player, just playing through the game is fun, and for those who really want a challenge, the Battle Tower and other facilities are there too. Not quite sure how it was in the Pokemon World Tournament, never got around to playing Black 2, but it sounded like there was a chance to fight all those Gym Leaders and such on a more even field.

Defeated the Elite Four, and thanks to Battle Chateau grinding and Experience Share, this is the first time I've ever had over a million Pokedollars before the endgame and my team was 10 levels above all of them. Definitely the best mechanics of a Pokemon game yet. I still remember how after I defeated the Elite Four in Black, suddenly everyone else's levels were 10 levels higher, ugh, that was a pain to deal with.

Now to try and find someone with a Ditto Friend Safari.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I think the trainers are meant to test your knowledge of pokemon types more than anything. They are supposed to be a challenge but if you have the right pokemon types then it can make it easy. I beat most of the third Gym with a level 20-ish Drifloom and a few backs up for the rare times it was actually affected by the moves used. Could I have done it with my normal squad? Not a chance! Just getting through the mirror cave was a task and a half.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The inverse battles thing is quite hard, since everything is opposite.

It's good to have higher level late-game Pokémon around, since it is far easier to train up lower level Pokémon quickly and raise your favourites to level 100 much faster.

The only battles I have failed in so far are the Sky Battles, but only because I normally only have one appropriate type on me when I do them and if they go down I am screwed. For some reason Hawlucha doesn't seem to be useable in Sky Battles which is odd given it is a flying type.

I've defeated Team Flare and am heading for the final Gym, which should be simple given it is Ice Type and I have at least 3 Fire Pokémon at level 50 or above. Heck my Charizard alone could just Flamethrower the whole place.