main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Kanto wait to Go catch 'em all: Pokémon!

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Wonder trade has given me about 5/6 starters. This is fun!

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah, it can throw out some good Pokémon.

I got another Froakie & Charmander already, plus some other stuff.

The Friend Safari is quite good too, once I'm online at the same time as others I should be able to catch more good stuff with hidden abilities that I want.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Still haven't bought X or Y. Thinking about getting Y. I always tell myself that I'm done with the franchise after each subsequent generation of
    games, mostly because I'm disappointed with how formulaic they are, right down to virtually always being the single child of an apparently single mom. Granted, I don't play the games for the stories, but it always feels like the exact same thing with a varying number and roster of monsters.

Once again I tell myself that I'm done, then I hear about how fantastic X and Y apparently are and how they may be the biggest step towards innovation in the series in a long time. So here I go again. 8-}

As an aside, I will say that I found the spinoff title "Pokemon Conquest" surprisingly good. I am a fan of the Nobunaga's Ambition series, which is almost impossible to find in the states and I have to buy online, and it seemed blasphemous to mix such a game based on conquering Japan with a bunch of cutesy creatures, but I feel like they blended the feel of the two series very well and I was pleasantly surprised. Of course I can't get over the ridiculous premise of the game. It's like making a game based on the American Revolution, but with George Washington and Cornwallis fighting with pokemon. :p

4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I didn't play Pokémon after Silver for a long time, until Black & White came out. Now I am into it again and love how X & Y take it to another level.
    But that isn't to say I'll get Z or whatever Gen 6 game they bring out next, if it's too similar.

I hear the Pokémon Bank isn't coming until December, but that's OK.

Also, if anyone wants to add me so as to trade and battle and stuff just PM me and I'll send you my 3DS Friend Code.

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Likewise - I've got a Haunter I want to evolve into Gengar, but no one to reliably trade with.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I Wonder Traded my Haunter, I'll wait for my White version one to come to Y once the Bank opens. It is a good Haunter.

But trade can be useful, especially for briefly swapping version legendaries and starters so they register on the Pokedex.

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Someone Wonder Traded a Tyrunt to me. He named it Charmander because I guess he figured Tyrunt was super common? Needless to say I got the other fossil when it came to that point of the game. My Pokedex is very thankful for Wonder Trade.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I selected Tyrunt anyway, Tyrantrum is mean looking and packs a punch but he's not overly tough. He has like 6 weaknesses or something which makes most moves hurt him a lot.
    I've seen the other fossil Pokémon during combat with NPC's throughout the game (including Omanyte and Omaster).

Would be nice to get something like a Scyther, if that if even possible yet. Or a Bagon, I know they are on Route 8 in Y but they are super rare and I've never found one. I want a Salamence!

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Do you guys pay a lot of attention to IVs, EVs and natures? I had read that EVs are finally something that have been made accessible finally in this generation. I didn't even know these things existed until recently.

For those that don't know, and I could be off on some of this as I'm going from memory.

IVs = Individual values - Values given for each stat that can range between 0 and 31. This are random values generated when a player encounters a pokemon and that a player has no control over. They are why you can catch the same pokemon twice at the same level and still have variations in stats. IVs exist in the background and are not made available to the player in game. Each pokemon has base stat values which determine what their stats will be at any given level. IVs are bonuses. So if you have a Squirtle with 31s across the stat board and someone else has a Squirtle with 0s across the board, all else being equal, the prior will be hands down better.

Natures - Some natures do nothing, while others will boost a particular stat by 10% and reduce another by 10%. So something like a Golem which has pitiful special defense but high defense, it's possible to be unlucky and get a nature that reduces the defense by 10% and increase special defense by 10%, boosting a useless stat by a marginal amount and hindering a useful stat by a larger amount. In Black, White, Black 2 and White 2, if you looked at a pokemon's stat screen, a hindered value would be highlighted in blue and a boosted value would be red (if all values were black, then no stats were boosted or hindered). Natures are fixed and cannot be changed.

EVs = Effort values - Controllable by the player. Awarded through defeating pokemon and using items like calcium, iron, etc. Only 510 effort values can be present on a pokemon all together, and only 252 can be in any single stat. A formula is applied such that at level 100 a stat will receive a bonus of +1 for every four EVs in that stat. I suppose at level 50 a stat will receive a bonus of +1 for every eight EVs and so on.

When it comes to trading, the exp boost of using a traded pokemon is nice, but I find I only get pokemon with terrible natures in particular

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't really get IVs, but I have tried EV training before. It can be helpful but prior to this generation it was extremely tedious to do it. Now at least it is fun to do and doesn't take so long.
    I've always tried to get Pokémon with the best natures, but IVs are too random for me to try and get the best ones I can.

Catching Pokémon with the right nature means a lot of resetting. It's easier to breed multiple eggs and keep hatching until you get one with the nature you want.

Part of the reason I am waiting for Pokémon Bank is because I have numerous Pokémon on White that have the natures & abilities I wanted and it would be a lot of effort to try and get those again in Y.

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, if you really want to get through the Battle Tower/Frontier/Subway/Maison, you're probably going to need to EV train. EV training is relatively easy, though can be expensive. There is a rare condition called Pokerus that helps a lot by doubling EVs earned, there are Power Items that also double EVs earned of a certain type, and in this generation, I've heard hordes can help a lot with EV training (facing five Pokemon at once).

Never bothered with IVs before, they drove me crazy. On some of the more hardcore (think that's the term) there was a calculator for resetting to get perfect IVs somehow, but could never understand that one. This generation though, with Friend Safari giving plenty of Pokemon with a few perfect IVs, things have gotten a lot easier (to understand at least).

Its annoying to start with, but at least once you have the proper nature its easy to breed more of that nature with Everstones- its why Dittos are always in such demand, especially Friend Safari Dittos now.

This generation has added a lot of things for that kind of advanced training, such as Super Training for EVs (though haven't tried it out yet myself), though too bad there's not quite that much endgame content yet, but that's what a probable Z version is for anyway.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's good they made it easier because it levels the playing field for competitive battles. For too long the metagame was ruined by people who had cheated to get themselves a whole bunch of shiny Pokes with perfect IV & EV stats and just run roughshod over everyone else who had spent many hours putting in effort to try and get even close to that.
    Now it's much easier to make a team that can be competitive at that level and challenge everyone else, especially given the lengths GameFreak have gone to in order to stop people tampering with the game coding and fielding cheat Pokémon.

---------There is a report of a new glitch going around, Mystery Eggs. These eggs apparently appear in a PC box and then corrupt the other Pokémon in that box (and eventually other boxes until the save file is corrupted). There were rumours these eggs were happening because of dodgy Pokémon coming through Wonder Trade but that seems to have been debunked now (can't send eggs through trade and the filters prevent illegally obtained/created Pokémon from being registered by the game). It's just a rare glitch that happens and it's not very likely.
    If it does happen to anyone though, the important thing to leave the egg alone. Don't inspect it, don't take it out, don't move it, and don't try to hatch it. If you mess around with it bad things can happen, but if you leave it alone and quarantine the box it is in all should be fine.
    Hopefully a patch will be made to fix this glitch, but it's pretty rare so no need to panic------------

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It seems Pokémon Bank will be available from the Nintendo e-shop from December 27th. You get a 30 day free trial if you sign up before January 31st, after that it will cost $4.99 a year for the service.

14. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    ^^ Yeah, I just discovered it myself. Pretty damn hilarious, especially how quickly it's exploded all over the internet.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That is very odd indeed, but it's different at least.

I have now pretty much the team I want to do major battling with in Pokemon Y. I just bred a new Skarmory & Breloom with the moves I wanted so they can now be EV trained appropriately. My pokedex now reads 500 which is more than I got in White.

17. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I have a couple of friends who convinced me to buy Pokemon X or Y. Having never played a pokemon game before (and also because I didn't have a 3DS/2DS) I was initially reluctant.
    I decided to give it a go and have been playing Pokemon Y now for almost two months. I have enjoyed it, but now of course I have that itch that needs to be scratched. I gotta catch 'em all!

I have done a couple of wonder trades but am sick of getting the likes of Luvdisc. Anyone want to PM me your friend codes so I can do the Safari?

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You should try the GTS. That lets you input the name of Pokémon you want and shows you who has them & what they want in exchange. I've got nearly every starter through GTS

19. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm a huge Pokemaniac, and I can't believe I haven't posted in this here until now.

My first Pokemon game was Blue in 1998 when I got a GB Pocket. Played that and Yellow for a few years until my sis and I got Gold, Silver and Crystal. I fell slightly off the radar in-between Gens because of the inability to get a GBA, but eventually I got one along with Ruby and Fire Red. Since then I've been keeping up regularly with the game releases. Got Diamond, Platinum, Black, Black 2, and X.

On my X file, I've recently caught all current 718 and now am forming a possible competitive/Battle Maison team. I managed to do EV training for the first time because of Hordes. Damn, the difference is really noticeable.

20. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Haha, I just remembered that I had a dream last night that I was in a shop and they had Pokemon Yellow for $4.99.

All I remember thinking at the time was 'Jeez, if I buy that I can sell it on ebay for thousands!' lol.

21. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    The problem with this is most people want a Legendary from a previous Gen which I don't have.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    True, but you can filter that out in the search.
    It does help to have other starters or rarer Pokémon like Porygon though, because people often want those. But I got at least 2 starters by trading with an Eveelution (Espeon & Leafeon)

23. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I hate Pokemon X, I recently got a 3DS XL with X and can't stop playing it! The last Pokemon game I played was Gold...back when it came out. Its so addicting, the 3DS is so addicting!

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Pokémon works two ways with people it seems. They either play it often and love it or play it for a bit and stop after they do the main story stuff claiming it got too repetitive.

25. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    To be fair though, the X and Y postgame doesn't really have much going for it. Sure there's tons of stuff now to get you more invested in doing things like the GTS, Friend Safari, Battle Maison, EV Training and the Lumiose side-quest, but compared to past games it's pretty paltry.
    ----------------------
    On other various Pokemon fronts, I played the old TCG up until Gen II, I absolutely abhor the anime, and I love the Pokemon Adventures manga. My two favorite side Pokemon games are Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, and Pokemon Conquest.