1. The Jedi Council Forum Rules have been revised.

View the revisions here, and see the Communications thread for more details.

Toronto Polaris 23 - July 2009 - 10 years of Phantom Menace

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Uilmuteiz, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Hi all,

This year I was one of two fans who paneled at the convention.
    Next year, I would like to change that.

Sadly my involvement with the Geek-off (which is 6 panels already and maybe 8 next year) tend not to allow me to host any Star Wars panels at Polaris.

For 2009 I would like to change that and I would like to at least attend some star wars panels and even sit on them (if you'll allow me to)

But before we start talking about next year that way, wee need to talk about:

1- Getting new panelists.
    2- Coming up with Panel ideas.

IF you are so kind as to help me bring back Star Wars fandom to Polaris, I could think about bringing back the Fanforce Chillin' Room that I had a few years back.

I think we should organize a "reunion" party for the Toronto Line

May the force be with you all.
  2. grey_starr Jedi Master

star 4
    This year was a bust for me :( ... "Real Life" can get in the way...

I fully intend to have a FanForce/Rebel Legion Table(s)... and get materials prepared for both...

Naturally there'll be a 501st table again... We can ask them to do a 501st Panel...

I may take a crack at a Rebel Legion Panel... make Justin and Gil join me! lol
    - Who is the Rebel Legion
    - What they do
    - How to get in
    - Costuming standards
    - Expectations of it members

Panel ideas...
    - Star Wars moving forward
    - The EU - Does it exist for you?
    - Clone Wars vs Clone Wars... (TV toon vs Movie Toon)

Here's an idea I doubt has been tried! Fan Film in 1 hour!
    I would LOVE to see this tried! LAMO ... Using the people that come to the panel - make something up in the 1st half hour - film it the next! would be even better if we had someone that could Edit it that night so it can be "presented" at the FanForce table the next day!

Any Suggestion for a BIG prop? We had the AT-ST... is there something that maybe we can do?... Full size uggy Wampa maybe? Full scale Speeder Bike? (I am of course thinking Troy, myself and Master Alex would be interested in this one)
  3. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I like the fanfilm in an hour idea. Only problem is that its really difficult to shoot anything in an hour, unless you are really, really efficient. See I would expand the idea to 24 hours (like so many Guerrilla Film Competitions out there), but that takes away from con time for some so i would guess that its out of the question. Would you have to edit within the hour as well or could that be done overnight. Overnight it could be done...rotoscoping on the other hand...that would be a nightmare. :p
  4. grey_starr Jedi Master

star 4
    I was thinking the editing would be done over night... like I mentioned, to have it on the table the next day... Maybe make it Rotoscoped later for Download?

I think maybe it could be done in an hour, if a "story line" was pre-planned... Perhaps just an epic battle scene even... just something to involve Everyone that comes... and then late r they can see it "done"... I really think it'd give a lot of people the feel of being in a fan film...
  5. JediXXL Force Ghost

star 5
    Heck Dan, all you have to do is ask... ;)

This year I had something else come up and could not make it.
  6. Styrofoam_Guy FF City Rep Toronto, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    With planning it can be done in an hour. For panels we also need people to be panelists

I have been quite busy the last couple of years so I have not been able to do as many panels as I would have liked. Hopefully that will change next year.
  7. JediMomof3 Jedi Padawan

Hey folks!

As the other Polaris SW Panelist, I would really like to see you guys involved too!

We got really killed by the timeslot - up against the Masquerade. But, the panel was saved by the master, i am but the apprentice.

I think the fan-film idea is brilliant. If I might suggest a double bill...
    1 panel on Friday night to finalize the set-up and script.
    1 panel Saturday afternoon (when the costumes are all out) to film
    The whole thing could be plugged as "extras needed" for a mostly done script, that could be hammered out ahead of time, say at a pub-night, hint, hint.

Also, not to overplug the con, but we have Mr. Zahn at Ad Astra next March too. It would be really great to have a few good Star Wars panels here too. I will probably be working all that weekend, so I can only be support. But, this early, we could make anything possible...

Just tell me what you want...
  8. Sirene Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sounds good to me, I'm willing to help out where needed/I can.
  9. DARTH2-D2 Jedi Master

star 4
    The fan film thingie is great, I suggest making up a generic script with fill in the blanks, this way you have most of it done then just modify it for who shows up and make sure it can support cross sections of sci-fi

possible scene a creature cantina

example:

------ walks in and wanders over to a table filled with ------ and asks about the ----- and gets told to mind his/her own ------, a fight break outs and the ----- gets involved and ----- drink gets spilled and then he/she uses the---- on ---- who lashes out with -----.

possible changes could be

CLONE TROOPER walks in and wanders over to a table filled with KLINGONS and asks about the BLOOD WINE and gets told to mind his/her own FRAKKIN BUSINESS, a fight break outs and the SGC gets involved and SPOCK"S drink gets spilled and then he/she uses the VULCON NECK PINCH on DARTHD VADER who lashes out with FORCE.

AQUAMAN walks in and wanders over to a table filled with SPACE MARINES and asks about the FISH and gets told to mind his/her own LOVE MONKEYS, a fight break outs and the CONCOM gets involved and DR EVIL's drink gets spilled and then he uses the "LAZER BEAM" on CYLON who lashes out with HIS GUN.

just some thoughts really, my two cents.

having a multiple choice script would cut out lots of time
  10. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I definitely think that it should be kept light, even humourous as with such a short window for shooting a lot could go wrong and thus add to the humour...where as a serious feeling Fan Film might just come off as silly and unitentionally funny...on second thought, Plan 9 here we come. ;)
  11. Styrofoam_Guy FF City Rep Toronto, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Anyone have ideas for the story?
  12. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Doctor Who and the Multiversal Rift?? :p There is a tear in the fabric of the universe and suddenly all kinds of fictional characters are spilling out into one place...the Doctor has to put them all back before they destroy each other??
  13. Sirene Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, we are star wars oriented, so how about doing something like whatever characters we have on hand.. how they would handle the han/greedo shootout and the Cantina scene in general? A short scene that everyone is familiar with, even if you're not a Star Wars specific fan. We'd need the lines from the movie and have the person - say for instance if we have Dr. Horrible he could play Greedo Dr Horrible style ... etc. The Cantina would allow for quite a few people to be involved.

Just an idea I'm tossing out there.
  14. DARTH2-D2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Imagine Dr Evil as Dr. Evazan and a Star Trek red shirt as Luke

Dr. Evil: He doesn't like you.
    Red Shirt: Sorry.
    Dr. Evil: I don't like you either. You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.
    Red Shirt: I'll be careful.
    Dr. Evil: You'll be dead!
  15. grey_starr Jedi Master

star 4
    And Alex, you have all them Masks right?... There could be a whole SG-Team of Aliens!.. lol ...
  16. grey_starr Jedi Master

star 4
  17. Styrofoam_Guy FF City Rep Toronto, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
  18. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    I can probably help out at the Rebel Legion or Fan Force table.
  19. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Sounds fun, but what's the exact date? I'm away for a week in July. I also need to run things like this past Granite. Who knows, he may want to come too!
  20. TK42Tom Jedi Knight

star 1
  21. grey_starr Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll be making a Gonk shortly... but I still don't know about having my kids... and that totally affects my availability :(
  22. TK42Tom Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hopefully I'll either be a member of the 501st as Greedo or the Rebel Legion as a Rebel Fleet Trooper by the time Polaris comes around.
  23. Styrofoam_Guy FF City Rep Toronto, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I might have a mouse droid ready
  24. JediXXL Force Ghost

star 5
    I am questionable about attending, I may be in SG gear.
  25. Styrofoam_Guy FF City Rep Toronto, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I am fairly sure I will have R2 there
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.