POLICY: VIPs and Titles

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

And people don't want to come into Comms and find every time they post something someone feels the intent need to comment on it.

If you don't want people to comment on what you say, then don't dismiss people as bitter or whiners. That does not lend itself to a productive -- or mature, if you prefer -- discussion. It also tends to force people to respond, since, you know, you're insulting them.

Point - this discussion is moot. And it has mostly consisted of ex-mods and friends whining about a few current mods who have fun titles.

Thank you for illustrating my point. Just because someone has the opposite opinion of you, and -- gasp -- decides to express said opinion publically, does not mean they are whining. It means they are using Communications for what it is intended to be used for: discussion.

2. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    And point again. I made a post and 3 different people felt the need to attack it. THAT is why the general population of the JC doesn't come in and fuss about somebody's title (or whatever the issue maybe). If they say something, postitive or negative, they get jumped all over.

This discussion has gone around in circles for many pages. Is the administration going to bring a conclusion to the question that started all of this:

carmenite42 posted on 5/12/05 10:59pm

/>
    />
  3. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    So, your complaint is that people disagree with you? That's just ridiculous.
  4. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No, I am saying that people get personally attacked when they post in here.

Do you understand that now? Have I been clear in stating that? Is there a different way it can be said that will make it easier to comprehend? Are the words that I am typing making sense so that the average reader of a message board is able to glean the information contained in the structure of the sentence?

Again, is the administration going to address the original question conclusively?
  5. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    So, you think their are personal; attacks, but as far I have seen, the only ones in this thread were made by you. Therefore, by your own rationality, you are the problem with comms. So remove yourself, and problem solved.
  6. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    And again the problem is that people come in here and get attacked as you have just done. An idea is presented and people say:

"If you don't like what it said, you don't have to post."

"You are the problem so remove yourself."

Posts were made personally attacking Kimball in another thread for the current state of Comms and he offered his resignation.

So much of the politics of message boards depends on who can "own" who. In the end, it is a message board. Nobody owns anyone.

7. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    If you view having your own logic applied to you as an attack...then the fault is with the logic, notthe person applying it.
  8. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd love to see an on topic post answering the question I made a few posts ago.
  9. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Obviously, Sapes is busy right now. But I thought you considered the matter worthless, so why do you care?
  10. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I am busy but always available to help. What's your question? If I take a bit to respond, I apologize. So I don't lose your question, also send it to me via PM.
  11. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    I believe this is the question:

If mods are allowed to have "fun" titles, can ex-mods and other titled people get the fun ones as well?
  12. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    It's a good question and one we have never discussed in the Mod Squad. My initial feeling is no. I don't have a definitive yes or no without discussion. I'm leaning towards all users who have a title to have an information-only title. Keep in mind, that I personally see 3SA Sheriff and 3SA Magistrate, for example, as 99.99% informational.
  13. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

I'm leaning towards all users who have a title to have an information-only title.

That really is the most logical course of action. The old policy was not something that needed to be changed.

And again the problem is that people come in here and get attacked as you have just done.

I have to agree with Ignant here. The issue of "personal attacks" wouldn't have even come up if you hadn't decided to dismiss everyone against silly titles as being "bitter ex-mods" who are "whining."

This discussion has actually been very civil, especially when compared with the how Comms used to be. :)

14. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    I can count the number of times GriffZ and I have both been wrong about something on one fingerless hand.
  15. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    Keep in mind, that I personally see 3SA Sheriff and 3SA Magistrate, for example, as 99.99% informational.

I would agree with that.
  16. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    But in regards to mods names being in headers and we should get rid of all titles because they are in a header. Well what happens if you see a mod in a different forum than they moderate? THere is no way to tell which forum they mod short of A) asking or B) looking at forum after forum until you find the fora that they mod.

Why would you need to know what forum they mod, though, aside from curiosity? If I am in the JCC and I see you posting, but you are not in the header, what good does it do me to know what forum you mod? If I'm having a JCC-related problem, I know I shouldn't go to you since you aren't in the header. And I'm extremely unlikely to have a Games Forum issue or a CT Forum issue if I'm not in those forums. And if I did have such issues, it wouldn't take me long at all to find those forums and read the header to see how mods them.

And what, just because users post here they need titles? They don't have a job here. They come here because they want to. There's no need for them to have titles. That was my point. Regular users have NO need for titles.

Mods have no need for titles either. They are merely a convenience, not a necessary feature to the running of the forums.

Thank you for illustrating my point. Just because someone has the opposite opinion of you, and -- gasp -- decides to express said opinion publically, does not mean they are whining. It means they are using Communications for what it is intended to be used for: discussion.

You're not helping this discussion with your attempted discussion. Troll.

No, I am saying that people get personally attacked when they post in here.

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly haven't been personally attacked. I don't think anyone who has posted on topic and contributed to the discussion has been, really.

Posts were made personally attacking Kimball in another thread for the current state of Comms and he offered his resignation.

See, here's yet another problem with the JC. Far too many people are overly sensitive about everything and regard criticism as a personal attack. Amusingly enough, these are the same people who always tell others to "grow up."

Amazing.
  17. -Lord-Vader- Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Why do people get titles and VIPship for:

Reorganizer of the Games Forum Thread Index

Senate Floor Archivist

I just don't see the purpose or need of either of those...
  18. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Yeah, those sounds like lame reaosn for titles. And I saw someone with a green VIP title. I thought they had to be red?
  19. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Former FF RSAs are allowed to alter their colour.

But I thought that the policy was that no regular user was to have a title unless they were a VIP and it was explaining why they have that status (looking at say the first post of this thread). Another change, or just people not following?
  20. -Lord-Vader- Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wouldn't their title say they were "Former RSA" then?
  21. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    But I thought that the policy was that no regular user was to have a title unless they were a VIP and it was explaining why they have that status (looking at say the first post of this thread). Another change, or just people not following?

Where is this not the case? It definitely should be.
  22. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    How does: Reorganizer of the Games Forum Thread Index

Not describe why said person has vipship?
  23. -Lord-Vader- Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm not saying that it doesnt, I'm saying that they shouldn't get VIPship for that.
  24. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Short term VIPs can choose their color, long term must be red IIRC. Both of the VIP'd people mentioned today are short-term VIPs, thus may have any colors they want for a week.
  25. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Precedent (recent mind you) was established that if someone put a lot of work into creating (Senate) or reorganzing (Games) thread index then that is worthy of a VIPship. A lot of work goes into those thread indexes, especially if they did it on their own free will (which they did).

In the case of the Games VIP, said person received the VIP from me and the title for said persons work. I was following precedent established from the Senate VIP which was approved.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.