main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

POLICY: VIPs and Titles

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    Okay, I had not heard of that before.

2. LumpyMaiden

LumpyMaiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    How does: Reorganizer of the Games Forum Thread Index

Not describe why said person has vipship?

Since that's not one of the things in the policy, it doesn't explain it according to policy.

precedent (recent mind you) was established that if someone put a lot of work into creating (Senate) or reorganzing (Games) thread index then that is worthy of a VIPship.

That should be put into the policy that's on the first page, then. The only exceptions there are:
    - Exception: Big Brother: One person for two weeks. The other for one month.
    - Exception: EUC Chancellor. Duration 90 days.

I'd suggest the wording
    - Exception: Doing something a moderator likes, and decides should get colors for.

3. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    if stuff liek reorganising indexes deserves vipship and a title, I assume for doing a service to the JC, why are icon makers no longer given titles? Isn't it about the same level of contribution?

4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Sorry EV, misread what had been written and thought that it was a case of them having titles and no VIP. Don't have any issues in that case.

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    If anything, I'd say icon-making is harder. The icon makers have to produce a lot of graphics that end up not even being used.

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    then it has to be VIP. and how and when? 1 week for every icon? or long-term (all red) as long as they're doing it?

I forgot why we (we? they! I wasn't involved at all!) shot down recognition in the first place :confused:

7. LumpyMaiden

Aug 30, 2001
    I'd say 1 week for every 2 uploaded icons, or something like that. So if someone just does one, and it gets uploaded by a lucky coincidence, then they wouldn't get one, but you're looking for people that consistantly do good work.

But I agree that you can totally replace "thread indexes" with "icons" and have it still ring true in the following sentence: "A lot of work goes into those thread indexes, especially if they did it on their own free will (which they did)." So if people are given VIPship/titles for putting a lot of work into thread indexes, they should be for for putting a lot of work into icons.

8. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    The two icons and one week of VIPship is a good idea, but a permanent red/title is a little overboard I think.

9. LumpyMaiden

Aug 30, 2001
    Totally.

Along with the fact that one week follows prescedent - permanent doesn't.

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I know that it plainly states what is required to have colors/titles in the first post, but wasn't the clarification needed because a lot of the icon-artists were upset about losing their titles?

What's the point of even pondering what would be a good timeframe for temp colors or titles(be it for icon-artists, or otherwise)? It seems to me any question that could possibly be asked regarding the policy has been answered. In some cases, more than once. Why keep the thread open at all? Is it even still a debate among the MS?

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "Why keep the thread open at all?"

That's why.

12. LumpyMaiden

Aug 30, 2001
    What's the point of even pondering what would be a good timeframe for temp colors or titles(be it for icon-artists, or otherwise)?

The qualifications for what it takes to be a VIP have obviously changed, as there are VIPs for something that was previously not allowed to be VIPed, so discussion is always good.

Along with what TwiLekJedi said.

13. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    On a bit of a tangent, can anyone foresee a time when when icons aren't being added to the JC? When it's deemed that there's enough variety to choose from and we don't need anymore?

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    17 July 2011.

That is the day Star Wars will die in legal red tape as Rick Macallum sues George Lucas' estate for the rights to the entire 'SW Empire'.

15. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Precedent (recent mind you) was established that if someone put a lot of work into creating (Senate) or reorganzing (Games) thread index then that is worthy of a VIPship.

I still say quality threads are far more important than such things, in which case anyone who consistently starts quality threads should also receive VIP status, no? Threads contribute far more to any JC forum than a simple thread index, which anyone could make. It's readily apparent that not everyone starts good threads. So if we're going to start rewarding people for anything, shouldn't we start with that which most benefits the JC?

Amazing.

16. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    On a bit of a tangent, can anyone foresee a time when when icons aren't being added to the JC? When it's deemed that there's enough variety to choose from and we don't need anymore?

Is this something you feel is necessary? As someone who doesn't even use an icon.... why would you possibly care? I don't really see.

17. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I still say quality threads are far more important than such things, in which case anyone who consistently starts quality threads should also receive VIP status, no? Threads contribute far more to any JC forum than a simple thread index, which anyone could make. It's readily apparent that not everyone starts good threads. So if we're going to start rewarding people for anything, shouldn't we start with that which most benefits the JC?

You see though, that's precisely why VIP status was awarded in the case of the Senate. It wasn't just because one person made one index, and it certainly doesn't represent a larger trend. I've already had one person ask if they updated the next index, would they get colors, and the answer from me was "NO."

Why? Again, when people start asking for colors for every little thing, they probably aren't going to get them.

Is that fair? Perhaps not. But it represents one of the stronger mores of the boards.

With regards to one specific example in this thread, "The Senate Archivist," the color/title was awarded to one person, but it was a collabortive effort by many people.

There is a Senate Focus group going on right now, and roughly 12 people are contributing various ideas/proposals.

Ender_Sai first came up with the idea for the index, along with another helpful thread that is still being worked out. Dart Mischievious went out and organized the index, which was a direct result of the aforementioned focus group. There was no expectation of reward or recognition. 10 other Senate regulars are also participating in various ways. Now, not everyone is going to get a couple of days with colors, but each role is still important.

The VIP status was awarded for that collective forum contribution, using the precise sense of spirit that was mentioned above. It was a visible sign that the system can work

The Senate just doesn't have many opportunities for such a small perk.. no "Big Brother" game, no "million colors." The last time Senate VIPship was awarded was 2 years ago, for the Senate trivia quest.

Did it fit exactly within the letter of the rules? No. But the title was logged into the proper MS thread, which listed the reason, and set the duration.

Common sense should dictate here, the rest will take care of itself.

18. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    "Is this something you feel is necessary?"

Yeah, I've felt it's necessary since sometime in 2003 when the icon pages reached something like 40 (with 10 on each page). Regardless of how I feel it's a question I'd like answered. Will the uploading of new icons ever be made redundant? Does MS have any plans to one day in the forseeable future stop uploading new icons?

"As someone who doesn't even use an icon.... why would you possibly care? I don't really see."

As a moderator you're not really required to hold a personal opinion about the reason for my question. You don't need to "see", it's not in your job description. All you need to do is answer the question in an objective fashion by supplying a few facts which you've to date been incapable of.

19. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I just don't see how it can possibly make your (or any other JCer's) JC time uncomfortable. Maybe you could explain :) Maybe because it would be difficult to look through all of them? But i would think they are pretty well labeled, as I just went through and relabeled them all. We have thousands of regular users, and i'd like to have everyone be able to find exactly what they want. We get new requests all the time in the icon thread.

EDIT:All you need to do is answer the question in an objective fashion by supplying a few facts which you've to date been incapable of.

Dude, i don't even know what you're talking about. But if you mean your "when will enough be enough" question.... then I guess my personal answer is: "when they stop putting out new material".

20. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    All I'm after is a succinct answer to a very simple question. I don't understand why you have beat around the bush and demand a reason why I'm asking it. Nobody here needs a reason to ask you a question and regardless you are expected to answer them without ****ing people around. What the dickens do they teach you kids in mod camp these days? Fact Evasion 101?

So I'm left to make an educated assumption based on your meandering responses because they're all I've got to go on. The icon manager thinks we'll be uploading icons forever, too many is never enough and MS don't have a plan to limit or stop the influx of icons in the future. Cool.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The icon manager thinks we'll be uploading icons forever, too many is never enough and MS don't have a plan to limit or stop the influx of icons in the future. Cool.

Sounds good to me :).

22. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I could understand her asking, DarthAttorney. If you had a reason you could give her about when and why you think enough is enough, it might be something for her to consider and bring up to the MS.

23. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    "But i would think they are pretty well labeled, as I just went through and relabeled them all. "

You deserve a title for that.

"All I'm after is a succinct answer to a very simple question. I don't understand why you have beat around the bush and demand a reason why I'm asking it. Nobody here needs a reason to ask you a question and regardless you are expected to answer them without ****ing people around. What the dickens do they teach you kids in mod camp these days? Fact Evasion 101?

So I'm left to make an educated assumption based on your meandering responses because they're all I've got to go on. The icon manager thinks we'll be uploading icons forever, too many is never enough and MS don't have a plan to limit or stop the influx of icons in the future. Cool. "

Tracy did answer you:

" I guess my personal answer is: "when they stop putting out new material"."

See?

But I find the idea of someone getting hepped up about number of icons hilarious. So thanks for that.

24. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I'm asking because I just can't understand why it would be an issue to a user. I'm just looking for understanding. If you can't or won't give me any reaons why continuing to upload icons is bad, then we certainly won't limit the icons any time soon.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    DA's cat was run over by a lorry carrying a load of JC icons. He's harboured negative feelings towards icons ever since, even shunning his trademark Palpatine in the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.