main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

POLICY: VIPs and Titles

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    People really have dumb titles these days.

Manager Emeritus aka I have no real power.

2. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

That was a very intelligent and constructive addition to this debate. What would you prefer a former manager's title to be?

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I concur. Of course a former manager doesen't have power. That's the point of them stepping down. All ex-mods/managers/admins should be reconized for what they've done. I don't see it as pointless in the least bit.

As for icon artists being reconized, I think they should get more recognition than they currently get. I mean, back in the day when we got titles for being icon artists, in the beginning, we all did it because we enjoy making icons, not because we got cool wording under our name, then people started to come in trying to become icon artists just so they wouldn't be "just another member". I still think that titles might be good for icon artists, but there needs to be some type of enforced strict policy on obtaining that title. Something that would be a little too much to ask for members just looking for their own peice of the pie, but not too much to ask of the true icon artists.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Although, nobody ever said they had to have "Manager Emeritus"... or did someone? I hope not.
    Luckily, we have a few "Ex-Mod"s.
    That's not breaking any rules, is it?

5. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

"Emeritus" sounds classier. I think Liz came up with that, but I might be wrong.

EDIT: And no, I don't think they have to be, since, as you said, some people don't.

6. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    I suppose that if the number of icons on the server seems to be bogging down the server's capacity or if people complain that there are "too many to choose from," then someone could write a script that would check which icons aren't really being used and purge them. I figure so long as Star Wars is making money, Lucasfilm will continue putting out product, which means artists will continue to make icons.

A temporary colour would be interesting for icon-makers, to recognise that they contributed to the latest batch of newest icons. But the real thrill for me is just seeing people use them. I love opening a thread and seeing several of my icons trailing down the page.... :)

7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    I agree.

And no, TwiLekJedi, I never said it should be obligatory for ex-mods to have colors and titles if they don't want it, I'm just saying they deserve recognition for what they've done.

8. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    As for the "Manager Emeritus". Why don't they just have "Formerly Classic Trilogy Mod", or something like that. Then people would know who they used to be. It would be more appreciative?

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    It's pretty much the same thing anyway. Besides 'emeritus' sounds better.

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Classy? 'emeritus' sounds like a fungal infection to me.

See

"How are you feeling today?"

"Not too bad now that the prescription cream has started to sort out my genetal emeritus infection."

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The "emeritus" title has been used since the summer of 2002. It isn't obligatory, and several former moderators have either a different title or none at all.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    We just say emeritus because we enjoy confusing newbies who don't speak Latin. They see the "manager" part, assume we actually do something other than yak in Comms half the day, and make us feel important by sending us PMs asking how to make text boldface. :p

13. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Seems to me that if the icons are too hard to find certain ones, we should look to improve the organizational system, not ignoring the new material and stopping the upload of icons.

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    I agree. When G-S changed the organizational structure of the icon index about three years ago, it just became even more complicated. I was against it in the very beginning.

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    No. You are wrong. If it's too hard to find the information you want in an encyclopedia, the answer is obviously to rip 90% of the pages out, not to sort the articles alphabetically. :p

16. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Sigh :p

I am open to suggestions if anyone has some. I am going to make a new category or two at the very least. But that will have to wait until the weekend.

17. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    In the current system, appearances are the only marking systems. That doesen't tell what the icon subject is, it just tells what the movie is from, Mara. My suggestion is that we should go back to the previous system (which I assume you know about). :p

18. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Its s'ok Dingo I fully understand.

If it was up to me all the icon artists would get their titles back. And if that ever goes back to voting in the MS then that'll be my stance.

Just to inform you all, since Yane had a (major) helper on her index I've gone and VIPed the other person tonight when he got back from his vacation (Which I noted in the VIP tracking thread several days ago and no one said anything otherwise. So I'm presuming that this one is good, just like I was, and still am presuming that the original one likewise is good.) From my understanding the two worked at least all day on it or several hours each day for a few days. At any rate presuming an admin feels that reorganizing a thread index and expanding it by about 500% from its predeccessor is not worthy of official recognition then I'll demote both users as soon as I can (aka login). As well as issue a formal apology to the two reorganizers and you all here as well.

19. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    It needs improving, though I don't know how

One thing that annoys me, though, is that

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/icons/miscellaneous/imperial_blue.gif] is in misc, but the rebellion equivalent isn't. In fact, I have no idea where that one is...

ETA: EV, I totally don't have an issue with you VIPing them - I just thought it was odd that they were VIPed for doing something along the same vein that many icon artists do, but VIPness has been denied to them.

And I totally recognize that the icon artists aren't a call you get to make. Just pointing out the inconsistancy I saw.

20. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    "Emeritus" sounds classier. I think Liz came up with that, but I might be wrong.

Son of the Suns actually.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've never changed my icon, but this particular one was in Expanded Universe. That struck me as weird.

Also, don't get rid of rarely used ones...I've never seen anybody else with mine.

22. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Son of the Suns actually.

That makes sense. He was much classier than Liz ever could dream to be.

23. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Has there been any discussion as to whether or not creating icons is an equivalent amount of work as reorganizing indexes?

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    How long a VIPship are you thinking for that?

I think a permanent title would be the most fitting thing.

25. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

You should get a title when you have a certain amount of icons uploaded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.