main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

POLICY: VIPs and Titles

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Like more than 50 or 100?

2. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

I have no idea how many icons the average icon maker has uploaded, but if it's around 50, then 50 sounds fine. As long as it's not so high that no one gets a title, and not so small that everyone gets a title.

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    *throws another monkey into the wrench

K, how about banner makers?

4. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

They could have the title "Banner Maker" for as long as their banner is up.

5. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Or, what it says in the first post of this thread

MS-approved banner contest winners
    - One month duration

6. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Sorry, I'm a bit late on this discussion, but quoting from the first page:

[DanakinSkywalker]: "Why was removing everyone's titles necessary?"

[malkieD2]: "Because there were so many people with titles and/or VIP status that having it became largely meaningless.
    We'd like to see it return to the situation where having colours or a title actually means something important.
    I think its a great idea."

Does this mean that removal of VIP status for ex-mods was also discussed? Since VIP-ship is also largely meaningless, with everyone and his dog having it, wouldn't ex-mods fall into the same category as icon makers?

7. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    Banner makers do get titles/colors

Padmeshairstylist is one of them.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    wouldn't ex-mods fall into the same category as icon makers?

No.

Former moderators get the option of VIPship, which I see as being given for doing work as a moderator, and to recognize the status of being a former moderator.

Not everyone chooses it, though.

9. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    I understand that, and I think it's a good idea.

However it seems to me that the policy regarding VIP status and titles is not being applied consistently. If, as we are told, the value of the titles was diluted because so many users had them, including icon makers; isn't the value of the VIP status diluted because so many users have them, including ex-mods?

I see VIP status and titles as variations of the same thing; they are used to indentify users for some reason. Icon makers were told that, while they would no longer have a title to identify them, their work was still appreciated, and that they shouldn't be doing the work for recognition anyway. On the other hand, ex-mods continue to be identified with VIP status even though there is no practical reason for doing so. There is no reason why I, as a plain user, would need to know that someone is a former mod. If icon makers don't need a title to know that we appreciate their work, why do ex-mods need VIP status to know we appreciate theirs?

You could argue that a moderator contributes more to the day-to-day operations of the board than does an icon maker, and I would agree, but I don't agree that an ex-mod necessarily does.

(Just to clarify, I don't oppose ex-mods having VIP status. I do oppose the inconsitency with which this policy appears to have been applied.)

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Perhaps it would do well to look at former moderators having VIPship as a reward or "thank you" of sorts.

11. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    I do, but wasn't that exactly what the titles were for icon makers? And then the policy was changed so that "thank yous" were no longer going to come as titles.

12. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    dooku-ca-choo posted on 5/31/05 9:44pm
    Icon makers were told that, while they would no longer have a title to identify them, their work was still appreciated, and that they shouldn't be doing the work for recognition anyway. On the other hand, ex-mods continue to be identified with VIP status even though there is no practical reason for doing so. There is no reason why I, as a plain user, would need to know that someone is a former mod. If icon makers don't need a title to know that we appreciate their work, why do ex-mods need VIP status to know we appreciate theirs?[hr][/blockquote]

I agree to the degree that icon artists shouldn't be doing their work just so they could get titles, but on the other hand, mods shouldn't be doing what they do just for colors. Same difference. I don't think of titles and VIPships as a "thank you", I see them as a mark of recognition. If banner artists get such high recognition, icon artists should as well. I've stuck to that for years-- since the policy came into effect.

13. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    The issue with icon makers is that the general policy nowadays is to have VIPship attached to titles, as outlined in the initial post. The policy was also implemented to scale back the number of VIPs, as we had so many it was starting to lose any meaning. Considering the number of icon artists that there are, under the current policy, all of them would have to have VIPship. It can be argued that ex-mods don't need colours (as much as anyone can need anything on a message board), but you should also take it on relative worth - you can't justifiably argue that your average icon-maker has contributed as much to the JC as your average ex-mod.

That said, in my own opinion, I don't see why the top five or so icon makers couldn't get recognition of some description. It ensures there is a limit to the number of VIPs, and gives recognition to those who deserve it the most out of the icon makers.

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Hmmm, didn't think of that. The Top Five Icon Makers sounds like a good plan.

15. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I REALLY like that idea. Good call, Hawk!

16. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    [HawkNC]: "... you can't justifiably argue that your average icon-maker has contributed as much to the JC as your average ex-mod."

But current policy implies that EVERY ex-mod is more noteworthy than ANY icon maker. If contribution is the really the criteria (and I'm not sure that it is) then VIP-ship should be handed out on a case by case basis. That way below average ex-mods won't be improperly VIPed, and significant non-mod contributors would be recognized.

17. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    So I guess the policy doesn't cover people who rearrange index threads?

18. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    But current policy implies that EVERY ex-mod is more noteworthy than ANY icon maker. If contribution is the really the criteria (and I'm not sure that it is) then VIP-ship should be handed out on a case by case basis. That way below average ex-mods won't be improperly VIPed, and significant non-mod contributors would be recognized.
    But how would you choose what ex-mods recieved the VIPship? I mean, they all went through the same thing, so how can you justify giving ex-mod A VIPship and a title and not giving ex-mod B?

Personally, I think VIPship for ex-mods works well the way it is now. If they don't want it, they can request to not have it. Simple and straight-forward.

19. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Crappy mods won;t even get fired. GL getting someone to tell them they suck so much they don't get VIPship. Although I do volunteer for the telling.

20. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    [Jaina_and_Jag]: "But how would you choose what ex-mods recieved the VIPship? I mean, they all went through the same thing, so how can you justify giving ex-mod A VIPship and a title and not giving ex-mod B?"

Just to clarify, I'm not actually suggesting such a system, I was just trying to illustrate a point. I do think one could come up with such a system, but it would probably be too ridiculously complex for such a simple thing.

My point is: if VIP-ship for ex-mods is perfectly acceptable, why is a title for icon makers not? If it comes down to the of level of contribution, why is that not the criteria for ex-mods as well?

21. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I know that in the Fan Force side of things people get titles without VIPship. And yes, I Fan Force is separate from the JC. But if people are contributing to the community in the form of making icons that are being uploaded consistently or by making banners that are uploaded, then why should it be a problem to recognize them?

22. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    That said, in my own opinion, I don't see why the top five or so icon makers couldn't get recognition of some description. It ensures there is a limit to the number of VIPs, and gives recognition to those who deserve it the most out of the icon makers.

My problem with this is that if i decide, i will have pissed off people. Is there exactly 5 top icon makers? Where is the line between "top icon maker" and regular one? It would really have to be a personal judgement, as we don't keep records of how many of each person's icons are uploaded. and to really be fair, you'd have to look at the last 9 months or so. so people keep records and some dont. SO then, is an all or nothing policy better? no, then you get the exact same thing happening.

Maybe we could have all the official icon artists vote for their top 3 (or something) icon artists (not including themselves)? That would be the community picking themselves. That's at least a possibility.

But i need to know where this magical VIP line is. If it's now been extended to include icon makers, that's great. They do terriffic work. And if we ARE rewarding for people doing work that helps the JC, then yes, they should have it. But that wasn't the case a month ago.

23. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Or maybe the current icon makers who've had the most icons uploaded? Or is it even possible for you to determine such a thing, Tracy?

24. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    There is a problem with that. There may have been a user(s) who made a lot of icons in the past, but don't anymore, and still post. Would they get the VIPship since they had so many uploaded in the past?

25. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    L-V, that is covered in Chapter 9 Section 8, Subsection R, paragraph 34, in "Needless Rules regarding titles". Please, if you want in on teh discussion, do some research. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.