POLICY: VIPs and Titles

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    As a regular user, I never though it my place to be poking around in the administrators forum

This isn't the administators forum - this is communications, the place where the administration and the regular users meet to discuss policy. A lot of active users visit here frequently to see whats new and give feedback on our ideas.

Usually we like to receive input before we make a vote so we can see everyone's opinions.

I this case I don't think it would make a great deal of difference. There are solid reasons for what we're doing, and the majority of users appear to understand that. We knew it would upset a proportion of the user base, but we can never keep everyone happy.
  2. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    Alright. There really is no point in discussing this any further then.

I'm sorry I wasn't more aware earlier on. I really wish I could have stated my case at the proper time. I really need to invent that damn wayback machine already! :D

You can count on me poking my head in here from time to time now.
  3. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    You can count on me poking my head in here from time to time now.

Please do - but remember to give feedback on any issue, not just those which directly affect you :)
  4. gabe Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Here's an idea... Make some costum icons to replace titles, for those who have trouble with the lack of e-recognition. Like the 'oldie' and 'newbie' icons, only with 'icon artist' and whatnot written on them.

I've also always liked the idea of handing out personalized and exclusive prize icons to contest winners, for certain periods of time, instead of VIP colors and titles.
  5. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Maybe they should also add notorious icons or banning numbers.

Sexual Predators have their pics in the paper.

Maybe we should be warned about people like Gabe who have been banned several times. :D
  6. gabe Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    [image=http://www.idontfear.com/jc/yell.gif]
  7. BaronFel88 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Maybe it's just me, but there's a pretty big margin on the right in the 'choose your icon' page. Is it possible to post the list of icon makers or a link to it for some credit?
  8. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    I know we're drifting away from the original post on this discussion but I really do like the idea of 'custom Icons' (IE Oldbie-Newbie) for things like contest winners expecially.
  9. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    So you know, an icon that says 'JC Icon Artist' on it would have to be made available to everyone just like any icon we have. We no longer use admin-only icons, with the exception of special game-winning icons. We all have access to the same set of icons. There's nothing to stop someone who's not an artist to make that their icon. It's like a brand new user making OLDBIE their icon. Just something to think about.
  10. J-Solo Jedi Master

star 4
    For a thread announcing the extintion of titles...I've never seen so many titles. ;)

I know the case is probably closed, but I'm here also to support Durb from the FanFilms forum. I have a "what if". What if Durb's site gets hosted by TFN, would he get a title? (and why isn't his site a official part of Fan Films?)
  11. Kimball_Kinnison Force Ghost

star 6
    I have a "what if". What if Durb's site gets hosted by TFN, would he get a title?

Assuming that he the change in hosting coincides with his being added as a member of the TFN staff, he would receive both VIPship and a title, should he desire it.

(and why isn't his site a official part of Fan Films?)

You would have to take that up with the ownership of this site, as that is completely their call. We have nothing to do with that.

Kimball Kinnison
  12. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    I can field that question...
    Actually, in a way, it IS officially part of the site. They replaced the old and busted database with a link to mine. Aside from where it lives, it's more or less part of the site. It gets constant traffic from here, so, I know it's getting used.

And, now I will be a nerd and explain why TFN likely will not host it: :-B

The program would work on TFNs servers. They use ASP and SQL, which is what I used to put it together.

However, I quite seriously doubt that they would host it. There's 2 reasons:
    1st. I don't think they own or have control over the servers. IGN owns it all.
    2nd. Even if they did, they would have to give me access to the database so that I can continue working on it.

I am constantly working on the program. Making improvements and such. So, I would need to have access to things they probably don't want to give access to.

So, for now, I'm just as happy to host the database on my own. At least I can still call it mine and I can still have 100% control over it.

EDIT: What Kimball just said is actually the first time that's been brought up in public.
    So, I will say now that joining the staff would certainly be a consideration. In any case, I still would rather host the program. Then, no one would have to worry about me being a security risk.
  13. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    As far as VIP's and titles. There should be a fine line between what's acceptable and what's a waste of acknowledgement.

1) Administration needs titles. That is obvious. That's the only way I know how to PM one. My eyes automatically look for the color title.

2) The VIP list should be limited to contest winners, banner creators and individuals who uniquely contribute to TFN.

These titles are a form a respect. A respect that needs to be earned. The mods and admin paid their dues, posted tens of thousands of intriguing posts and contributed on almost a daily basis.

VIPs need the same. They should pay their dues to TFN. If they've contributed in different aspects and these aren't fly by night things, then give them VIP status.

I see long term posters from 98 and 99, no title - nothing. ...and they still post thoughtfully without hesitation. They paid their dues. They humbly respected the admin's decisions and kept posting.

There seriously needs to be some long thought about this among the admin members.
  14. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    You should PM Raven over the technicalities of the database, then approach Josh or Phil about encorporating it into TFn main.
  15. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    From what I hear, there has already been some communication to them on my behalf. So... I'm just waiting to see what happens.
  16. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
  17. comet1440 Force Ghost

star 4
    This is a terrible decision[face_plain].
  18. Ph0enix Jedi Master

star 4
    I suppose it's not that bad. Sigs are the way to go...
  19. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Comet? Somebody needs a hug. [:D]

Your sig can work against you...
  20. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This thread blows my mind. Maybe it's the cynic in me talking, but I think this is one of the more inane discussions in Comms I've ever seen, and I've seen some damn inane ones.
    Frankly, I support the Administration on this topic. I think this decision was a long time coming, especially when I used to look around and see that every third user had a JC title, and occasionally I'd wonder why.
    Maybe I just don't care about icons, simply because I've had the same icon since I registered and have had no desire to change it. Maybe at the end of the day, I just think that icon-makers should be happy that they WERE recognized at one point, and that their work is still featured, and should just be okay with that. Anything more than that, such as asking for titles or other special recognition, just seems like being greedy or self-important. You make icons? Great! That's awesome. You want people to know about it? Put a line in your sig or userprofile or something. I think to have people who have made icons to get a title just like Moderators do defeats the purpose of having a title. Why can't I have a title, for my contributions to various forums? Can I have a "Fan fiction author" title? If not, why not? [face_plain]

However, I think the vast majority of my opinion is encapsulated by this post, made on the second page by Stackpole_the_Hobbit:

"IT'S THE INTERNET

sorry, had to get that out"

Just my two creds on the matter.
  21. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Maybe it was out of control on most of the JCC. I don't know. I guess that FanFilms was one of the minority of communities that had the title issue very well under control.
  22. Darth-Bradius Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    if banner makers aqnd icon makers want to be known

why not make an icon for them that they could use ??
  23. Cheri Jedi Master

star 4
    DarthSapient explained why an icon wouldn't work on this very page......
  24. Darth-Bradius Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    mmmm...........................still should be done :)
  25. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    As much as the icon sounds like a fine idea, the problem I have with that is that you no longer have a choice of an icon. That is, if you choose to go that route, you're stuck with whatever icon is made...

Me? I like my ROTJ battle scene. I don't want to give that up.

But then again, I'm not an icon or banner artist. And, I seriously doubt anyone is planning on making an icon specifically stating what my former title was.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.