main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

POLICY: VIPs and Titles

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, then, you'd have a bunch of people purposely leaving their name plain so that everyone thinks they are a mod. [face_laugh]

2. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Hey Sape, I like the policy, but I wasn't sure whether it would apply to *really* short term things (e.g., Halloween costumes for the mods (and ex-mods, hint hint hint)).

3. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Basically, the EUS acts a measure of self government that most forums don't have.

Man, when we created it, that place was so far from usefull as to be funny. It was a hair's breath from social thread, close to parody, full of nonsense and revolutions. Jobs popped up without meaning (c'mon, I was able to just declare myself Minster w/o Portfolio, claiming a great deal of power over things) and the Chancellor never really had a rat's chance in hell of doing anything. The purpose, originally, was moderating between rival threads, acting as a Solomon would and giving people baby halves. And every now and again, that worked.

Then it disappeared, reappeared and people take it so seriously! It just boggles the mind. I hope those old iterations are still around...

4. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Well, Lord Bane, the EUS has definitely evolved into something completely different from what you have described.

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Bane,
    Sadly, all of that weird, wild stuff is no longer around. Auto pruning in the EUC forum has been disabled for a long time now. But, it wasn't done soon enough to save those early ones.

6. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Auto-pruning is the true devil of this site. It has robbed me of more than I can ever say - my 'Down with Diapers' petition, Hannibal/Vong comparison, the EUS, old JCC and Comm threads of glory and splendor and drama...

7. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    I have to admit that I?m kinda sad to see my title go : ( I guess it just made me feel special, : ) And then have someone see it and say something nice to you about your icons?but it is still a real joy to see people choose your icon even when no one else knows it?s yours : ) it still puts a smile on my face.

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I haven't looked to see if mine went away.

I guess I don't understand the logic of a former mod having colors? :confused:

I'm an analyst at a Fortune 100 company. When folks retire/quit/get fired at my company they don't hang a plaque with their name on it on the wall...

"Bob once sat here."

You could get rid of a LOT of titles that way.

Nothing against any former mods, I'm just sayin'...

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    While I risk looking bad by answering, I'll do it anyway.

It's simply a small honor that's long been bestowed on former members of the administration. It can also be declined, as it has been by several people in the past.

10. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I haven't looked to see if mine went away.

Yours won't go away because it was a FanForce title, and not a JC one. This policy only affects JC related titles.

11. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I realize I'm late putting in my few cents, but it involves me and I have an opinion, so I ought to.

Frankly, I still don't see why 24 individuals would want to fix what isn't broken. A one-line title doesn't hurt anyone, and as all big corporations know, things that make your people happy and don't even cost you a cent are good. Does it make your monitor blow up if you have to look at a few titles that say "icon artist" or whatnot? Does it increase the amount of time it takes to load a page, or significantly clutter the screen, or generate confusion about who's a mod and who isn't?

Exactly, DLM.

The cause for this, apparently, was that we had too many people with special recognition and it lessened the 'honor.' Seriously, was someone complaining that their deserved title was cheapened by other titles? Or was it a few folks with e-power and nothing to do, yet again, making inane decisions not in the best interests of the community?

1. Would it be possible to put the banner artists' names on their respective banners, as a mouse-over option? I've seen it done on a few banners in the past, and nearly every banner now has the funny "Poof" thing.

I think we should definitely do this for every banner. It takes a lot of time and effort to create a banner and just a little effort to say "this person did this and we thank them" would be really appreciated, especially in the absence of titles (for the entire duration of their display, at least).

I have to admit that I?m kinda sad to see my title go : ( I guess it just made me feel special, : ) And then have someone see it and say something nice to you about your icons?

I think that's how most people who are in that situation feel. And for what? We contributed and earned recognition. We can't be special anymore?

Deaf ears anyway. Oh well.

12. Evil_Lord

Evil_Lord Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2004
    Deaf ears anyway. Oh well.

Too true. I don't understand the point in this thread. The Policy has been made so does it really matter what people's opinions are? I severely doubt they make a difference anyway since the Policy is already set. Plus, I don't think they listen to User's opinions anyway because that's what started this whole mess of taking the Titles away in the first place.

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm sorry you feel that way. Of course we listen to you. Not everyone always agrees with what we do. The problem is that the mods made the mistake, not you guys, by handing out titles and VIPs beyond their intended use. And we apologize for that. But your opinions do matter and I read this forum all throughout the day, every day. It is the best place for me to gage the pulse of the boards.

14. Evil_Lord

Evil_Lord Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2004
    Of course I don't mean to point fingers or say that any one Mod is not listening to Users. I think I was more or less pointing out the fact that listening to User's Opinions is what started this whole mess in the first place. So, sometimes Users feel as though their opinions kinda don't count since they really had no voice in the situation since the Policy was already being decided by Higher Authority. It just felt like some User's weren't being heard.

15. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Of course I don't mean to point fingers or say that any one Mod is not listening to Users. I think I was more or less pointing out the fact that listening to User's Opinions is what started this whole mess in the first place. So, sometimes Users feel as though their opinions kinda don't count since they really had no voice in the situation since the Policy was already being decided by Higher Authority. It just felt like some User's weren't being heard.

That voices how I felt about this, clearly. I never held a title before for any special job; you can't help but feel left out though when something that obviously is going to affect the community is decided without the community's imput first. I can understand the decision by the administration not to have brought this forward first, as you were acting in the best interest of what you felt was best for everyone, but it leaves the people that do the little jobs on the site feeling like they don't matter all that much because they are a volunteer, and that isn't important.

16. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    All I can say is that it does matter, it's noticed, and I sincerely appreciate it.

17. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It just felt like some User's weren't being heard.

That's because the mods agreed with some users and disagreed with others. Those who the mods did not agree with felt they weren't being heard because they did not change any minds. It is true of most every in-depth Comms thread. Those who end up on the opposite side of the mods tend to feel they aren't being heard because they equate "being heard" with the mods reversing whatever decision they came to.

Amazing.

18. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    The difference is that the users the mods agreed with were just mildly annoyed about a situation that really didn't concern them.

The users they disagreed with were those who thought of their titles and/or colors as a token of respect or thanks, an identifier to show other users what they do, and something many of them probably associated with their JC identity (wouldn't it feel a bit weird if someone told you that the yellow and black had to go, Sapes?). Many others maybe didn't have colors or titles themselves, but thought it was pointless and silly to take them away from their fellow users.

In the end, no it's not a huge deal, but I just don't see what it was hurting if it made a few people happy.

19. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The users they disagreed with were those who thought of their titles and/or colors as a token of respect or thanks, an identifier to show other users what they do, and something many of them probably associated with their JC identity (wouldn't it feel a bit weird if someone told you that the yellow and black had to go, Sapes?). Many others maybe didn't have colors or titles themselves, but thought it was pointless and silly to take them away from their fellow users.

Well of course those were the ones that dissagreed. Obviously anyone who cared that much about their title and status would feel that way. I for one enjoyed mine while it lasted. But in the end I really don't care either way. If the administration feels that they need to take any relevant recognition away from people who contribute to these boards, so be it. They have the ability and the right to do so.

20. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    They have the ability and the right to do so.

Obviously. But, just because you have the ability and the right doesn't mean you should, and it doesn't mean people can't disagree and say so.

For the record, I'm not too upset because I think a month for banner artists isn't too bad, though for the duration of the time the banner is up makes more sense. I'm just hearing a lot of other people feel like their recognition has been taken away and replaced with "well, it should just make you happy to do it." Most people would like, and deserve, both. And, again, it was hurting no one to let them have that.

21. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    Since this is the topic that got me involved in the comms forum... I figure this is thre right place to ask.

At one point, it was mentioned that if my database were to be brought onto TFNs servers, and if I were to continue to maintain it, I should be brought on staff.

Well... Check this out...
    It's official. The database has been moved over, lock stock and barrel. And I now have an FTP account so I can continue to maintain it.

After speaking with at least one guy on the tech crew, it turns out that my role is actually the same as any other volunteer staff member at this point.

I just don't know who to contact about this.

22. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I just don't know who to contact about this.

Contact Josh about it. He is still the part owner and (until 11/1/04) still the Editor of TFN. Once he informs us that you are staff, everything will be handled from there.

Kimball Kinnison

23. durbnpoisn

May 20, 2002
    How do I contact Josh?

Pardon the stupid question, but I've only heard of him by name. I've never seen him post around here, or any contact info...

24. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    This is correct. Either send Josh a PM or an e-mail. We have nothing to do with how staff are chosen and decided. He should be able to help you.

25. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I think what he's asking for is this. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.