POLICY: VIPs and Titles

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    Yes. That would be what I'm looking for, thanks.

Can someone PM me his email? I don't know how often he checks his PMs.
  2. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Per your request, I sent you a PM with the requested information.
  3. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Since titles are now supposed to inform users as to why someone has colors, can we please get rid of the non-informative titles, and just stick with simple titles like "AOTC Manager" or "Moderator: 3SA"? Not to pick on anyone in particular, but things like "Red Sox Ambassador" have nothing to do with the forums (as far as I know), and should be placed in a bio or signature, just like all the other lame titles that were taken away.

Edit:
    For the record, I think that EU Chancellor position thing is bull, and I'm disappointed (but not surprised) that the majority of the MS was too lazy to take away VIP status and a title from someone who appears to be nothing more than a glorified helpy-helper or member of a social group.
  4. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    In related news, lookie me...
    <--- (The red, I mean)
  5. comet1440 Force Ghost

star 4
  6. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Also, what happened to those 'new' Comms rules that seem come up every few months, where there's going to be a crackdown on irrelavent posts?
  7. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Since titles are now supposed to inform users as to why someone has colors, can we please get rid of the non-informative titles, and just stick with simple titles like "AOTC Manager" or "Moderator: 3SA"? Not to pick on anyone in particular, but things like "Red Sox Ambassador" have nothing to do with the forums (as far as I know), and should be placed in a bio or signature, just like all the other lame titles that were taken away.

I concur.

I'll repeat what I said in the MS:
    "The very first thing we should do:

Come up with a consistent policy on OUR OWN titles. Either we have real titles or we have fake titles. We're *supposed* to have real ones, but some of us don't."
  8. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I agree with dp4m and YodaJeff on this subject. Titles are there for PRACTICAL reasons, and that's even more apparent now that the extra, less meaningful titles have been elliminated.
  9. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    :( There goes my chance for having "Ich kann euch alle nicht leiden" in my title

But what about the "small reward for the unpaid voluntary 'work' we put in" excuse? :( In the end, all we get is colors?
    This is all Comms' fault....
  10. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I've always maintained a straightforward title, and I think the rest of us should, too.
  11. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Why?
    Where is the damage in
    "TwiLekJedi
    Title: - Manager Classic Trilogy
    - and not funny"
    ?

Honestly, I can't remember the reason(s). I know we had some, but I can't remember...
  12. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    But what about the "small reward for the unpaid voluntary 'work' we put in" excuse? In the end, all we get is colors?

If you are doing the job for a reward, then you're better off handing back the colours. The positions always have been (and likely will remain) purely voluntary, so while some sort of reward every now and then is nice, it shouldn't come at a cost of a double standard over what should be a rather simple situation.

Edit: Spelling.
  13. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Yeah, but you won't see me quitting whiningly over this, so, does that argument really work?

Also, it doesn't really answer the question. But then again, I'm in Comms, so I shouldn't be surprised...
  14. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    The idea is that the colours are meant to act as a reward as well as a way of easily identifying mods. I wouldn't say they're "just colours", since many regular users would probably kill you and take your username if they could. ;)
  15. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Actually, I would just like to abuse my powers more often.
    My FanForce is the only place where I can show off my HTML - in the JC it's "unfair" or something. o_O Playing around with our tools can't be that bad. I never edited a title.

And I want protests from users, not arguments from (ex-)Mods!

<marquee>Sue me</marquee>
  16. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    [image=http://www.durbnpoisn.com/images/faces/BigLaugh.gif]
    That's great!

I wish I could do that... (Don't we all...)
  17. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Using HTML leads to nothing but pages full of HTML code once the manager steps down (see some old MS updates for examples). Using HTML is not necessary for the everyday running of the boards. We survived years without it, and we can easily survive years more without using it.
  18. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    Well... As cool as it is, using JavaScript like that is actually quite dangerous if it's left in the wrong hands. So, I would have to agree that keeping HTML off is a good idea.
  19. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I've been kind of late on getting into the issue. My opinion on this whole thing is that it's the right thing to do. Personally, i'm to the point where i believe that no one other than ex-mods and current mods deserve titles. If Icon Artists don't get them, i don't see why Banner Artists should get them. I was once on a different stance on this issue, but i do remember someone said something that i now agree with when i was for titles. Someone said something about how work being on the JC is enough of a reward for Banner Artists and Icon Artists. I believe that is a true statement. I don't see how Icon Artists are any more important than Banner Artists or vice versa, and it shouldn't be treated that way. One doesen't deserve VIPship or a title more than another. That's why i say Non-Mod/Non-RSA titling and VIPship should be eliminated completely.

As for other titles or colors, i agree with YodaJeff completely. 'EUC Chancellor' and other pointless titles are nothing more than crap. I mean, how stupid is that? There are many different societies on TFN, and if every one of them merited a title or a color, 85% of everyone on here would have one.

I applaud the administration for going this far in making titles and VIPship privelage-only. Now finish the job.
  20. Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Is the administration going to take colors from relatively or completely inactive users who have colors/titles, like IAmTheDarkSide and Anakin Solo?
  21. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Is the administration going to take colors from relatively or completely inactive users who have colors/titles, like IAmTheDarkSide and Anakin Solo?

It's a good point; holiday socks should definitely be removed from VIP circulation when out of use...

EDIT: and done.
  22. Terpmaniac09 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't really uderstand why the AOTC trivia contest winner can't recive a custom title, and or colors for a week. Oh well. I hope I didn't ask too dumb of a question.
  23. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree, the song lyrics winner got it for a week over at AOTC. Trivia winner gets avatar. I'm not being greedy, but I like my clonetrooper avatar anyways.
  24. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Also, it doesn't really answer the question

For years the old complaint of the "Ivory Tower Syndrome" has always been thrown around, and in some instances it has been right. For the most part moderators should just be posters who have a few extra abilities to keep the boards working smoothly. By allowing moderators and managers "fancy titles", and managers to play with HTML, you are granting them extra things that the regular population do not have and placing them outside the regular community. Using extra HTML abilities to alter text size when arguing something to hammer your stand point home, or embed something a thread that will be intrusive on a user by forcing some program to run (and/or possibly crash other programs) creates a double standard and errodes the confidence that people have in the 'administration', which is one of the chief things that should be used by them to help run the forums.
  25. Terpmaniac09 Jedi Master

star 4
    The OT Trivia Challenge Winner got colors and a title, why is it any different for the AOTC Trivia Challenge Winner?
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.