main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

politics in star wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jawas_Poodoo, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawas_Poodoo

Jawas_Poodoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    Due to the emerging controversy over Lucas' perceived liberal bias in Episode III, I decided to start this topic.

What contempory political party would your favorite star wars characters be affiliated with?

Some characters are obvious. Senator Amidala's anti-war views and support of galactic welfare programs label her as a liberal democrat.

Chewbacca would also support the democrats because of his concern for envioronmental issues and saving endangered species.

Han Solo would be a firm supporter of the libertarian party and a card carrying member of the NRA.

Palpatine is the most interesting character to analyze in this sense. Before the Empire, he had many similarites to Franklin Delano Roosevelt (though slightly more evil):

Elected during a time of economic downfall, he managed to increase the power of the government and centralized his own power. He served four terms and acted as a war-time chancelor. During this period I would say he was most akin to the policies of the modern democratic party.

There are many people who are under the impresison that George W. Bush is a war-monger. If this notion is to be beleived, he could be linked to Palpatines alter-ego Darth Sidious.

After the fall of the republic though, the views of Palpatine and his imperial task-masters become strictly facist. Military dominance, racism, overt propaganda, slavery, etc.

If you feel that contempory politics and star wars don't mix, then go about your business and move along.

EDIT: spelling

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Artoo is such an obvious Cryptoanarchist...

3. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    No... I don't think George Dubya is akin to Sidious, Sidious was calm and calculating, Bush is more like Malak, or even almost any Bothan circa the last part of the NJO

4. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    No, Fey'lya is more like Slick Willy (Clinton) both as far as his middle-left views and his . . . persuasive abilities and off-duty conduct.

Jacen seems like someone caught in between left and right, going liberal on some things (environment, war, etc.) and conservative on others (possibly abortion, as he, of all the New Order knights has the most respect for life at any level). My take on him is someone looking for what is right irregardless of party lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.